De-modernizing the JL/JLU

Jeepā€™n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Not sure why one would want to do this, but if you have enough money you can do anything. Personally I like technology. I could never go back to even a TJ. Vehicles keep getting better and better each decade, more efficient in every way.
Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
This is a great idea if you want a reliable bug out vehicle. When the sh!t hits the fan, I have a feeling modern vehicles such as the JL will be "turned off" remotely. The capability to do this has already been proven. Slightly less technologically advanced vehicles will be EMP'd. The only thing functioning will be seriously older vehicles with standard distributer and coil ignitions. Our beautiful JLs will be worthless in a post-apocalyptic world unfortunately...

---all except @PyrPatriot 's that is...

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It would never pass emissions...if you plan to run it on the street. Pretty sure the vast majority of states don't allow an engine swap from an older model year into a newer chassis.

You could certainly still do it....but it would be an offroad-only, trailer queen. And if you're going that route, you'd be better off building a race chassis since you're spending the money anyway and not getting the performance with a full bodied rig. Most trail/offroad events aren't really car shows...so "showing" it at one of those events probably won't net much interest from others.

I'm with everyone else....I'd want fuel injection, perhaps forced induction even....or, if you want simplicity, you could do it on 'pane (which actually would be cool)...but I'd want a small, light engine that puts out a good amount of power (which is why the LSX series is so popular).
He's in a state without emissions testing.
"For quick reference, the states that do not include smog/emissions testing currently includes: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wyoming"

Even in some other states that have testing but no inspections (is that a thing?), an LS swap should be able to pass the tailpipe test I would think?

At first I thought the post was sorta weird, but after thinking about this, it could be a very cool off road hotrod and still be very functional. Start by completely removing the entire dash and instrument cluster, and most wiring except the small harness you could re-use and integrate (front and rear light harnesses, fuel pump and sending unit, heater unit blower motor, etc). Install a new custom panel in your instrument panel for new autometer gauges, install a new fuse-block and wiring harness, etc.

Basically it's like building an old hotrod. Start with the body shell and chassis, and build everything else you need. I've done that a couple times, and if wired right they're actually very dependable. This new custom jeep, if built right, would be just fine on the street as long as you never needed the airbags....haha

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
No idea why you would want to do that...the electronics are what sets the JL apart.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It would never pass emissions...if you plan to run it on the street. Pretty sure the vast majority of states don't allow an engine swap from an older model year into a newer chassis.

You could certainly still do it....but it would be an offroad-only, trailer queen. And if you're going that route, you'd be better off building a race chassis since you're spending the money anyway and not getting the performance with a full bodied rig. Most trail/offroad events aren't really car shows...so "showing" it at one of those events probably won't net much interest from others.

I'm with everyone else....I'd want fuel injection, perhaps forced induction even....or, if you want simplicity, you could do it on 'pane (which actually would be cool)...but I'd want a small, light engine that puts out a good amount of power (which is why the LSX series is so popular).
E-rod LS motor will pass emissions. All it takes is $$$$$$$ :dance:

Of course, if you want to toss the old I6 TJ motor in there good luck passing smog or even moving all that weight.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
No way, not with the CAN bus and all the distributed electronic controls. Just look at what you have to deal with if you want to move from a 5" UConnect to the larger ones.

Totally silly and unreasonable.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

I just want a Jeep Gladiator that I can wrench on without worrying about restrictions from computers or too much electronics/wiring. Something on the technical equivalence of a 1976 Mustang

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The internal combustion engine is too unproven, you really need to stick to this tried-and-true 2.00 Horsepower, military-inspired off-road vehicle:
eaa738eb-8068-45c2-a12a-92034b546e06-A32173.jpg

Look at that ground clearance! And the crawl ratio!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I just want a Jeep Gladiator that I can wrench on without worrying about restrictions from computers or too much electronics/wiring. Something on the technical equivalence of a 1976 Mustang
Have you ever considered aftermarket ECUs such as Megasquirt? To me, the most annoying aspect of having a computer controlled vehicle is that you aren't in control off the software. An aftermarket ECU fixes that.

I doubt anyone has done this to a JL yet, but I can't think of any reason why it won't work on a non-BSG Jeep. It's probably a lot simpler than a motor swap too.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Have you ever considered aftermarket ECUs such as Megasquirt? To me, the most annoying aspect of having a computer controlled vehicle is that you aren't in control off the software. An aftermarket ECU fixes that.

I doubt anyone has done this to a JL yet, but I can't think of any reason why it won't work on a non-BSG Jeep. It's probably a lot simpler than a motor swap too.
Now that is something I haven't heard of. I can get behind working with wiring, electronics, re-routing systems if I don't have to fight the computer. I will certainly look into that. I know that companies are moving to make it harder and harder to work on your own equipment, like John Deere prohibiting folks from working on the newer tractors and saying you violate their intellectual property when you do. Having to sue for your right to work on your own car would suck.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Now that is something I haven't heard of. I can get behind working with wiring, electronics, re-routing systems if I don't have to fight the computer. I will certainly look into that. I know that companies are moving to make it harder and harder to work on your own equipment, like John Deere prohibiting folks from working on the newer tractors and saying you violate their intellectual property when you do. Having to sue for your right to work on your own car would suck.
Funny you mention John Deere. I'm waiting on a new programmer right now that is usually used for modifying the ECU on them. I'm using it for other purposes (Vespa) but one of its primary selling points was that they were able to hack in to various tractor ECUs.
Sponsored