De-modernizing the JL/JLU

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
We considered getting pack animals (horses) on my first deployment to Afghanistan. One of our guys was a professional rodeo cowboy before joining Special Forces. He talked us out of getting the horses due to the amount of food, water, shelter, tack, and healthcare that live animals require. These complications only multiply when you are traveling. We still borrowed horses sometimes. We just didn’t keep any on hand.
But always a ready source of protein:like:
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone that has jeep'd in one with a carburetor knows they suck in extreme angles. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
i love the 'bug out' threads in all types of forums. bug-out in a vehicle? thats a pipe dream. all you have to do is look at what happens when a controlled bug-out is implemented on the coast of GA when a hurricane is expected. they shut down all south bound lanes coming out of Savannah and the huge numbers of vehicles head north. this is a 'controlled' bug out. now if there is a real serious issue in some major city the bugout will turn into a traffic jam and the roads will become impassable. your bug-out jeep will be just one more vehicle stuck on the road.sure the jeep might be able to get off the road but it still needs to be able to drive on something. all roads will be blocked, not just your interstate.

if you are really serious about 'bugging out' you need to look to pack animals, horses, mules, goats (no joke a lot of folks do treks with pack goats) or llamas (you can go on llama packed hikes in colorado, they will rent you the llamas). all of those animals are capable of going just about anywhere, you can pack lots of gear and your 'support vehicles' can live off the local vegetation.
A horse is a 25-30 mile a day mode of transportation. If you need to go hundreds of miles for a catastrophic event, when the roads are clogged, consider getting a pilot's license and airplane. You can be halfway across the country in one day in a relatively slow airplane. No traffic to speak of.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Have you ever considered aftermarket ECUs such as Megasquirt? To me, the most annoying aspect of having a computer controlled vehicle is that you aren't in control off the software. An aftermarket ECU fixes that.

I doubt anyone has done this to a JL yet, but I can't think of any reason why it won't work on a non-BSG Jeep. It's probably a lot simpler than a motor swap too.
Haltech is an other such company with a very solid reputation, worth looking at if you'd ever consider to go custom.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the event of a world power nuclear strike, if you survive, the EMP from the weapon would render anything with microprocessor or coil useless. That means any vehicle built in the past 120 years except a steam powered vehicle, including a diesel with preheat coils. Pray that you're vaporized in the first blast.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I am waiting for(it will happen)some one to take a new JL and de modernize it( especially the computers and sensors) add a real good small V-8 with mechanical linkage transmission and gauges. It’s comical that all the elec tech is really nothing to do with your talent to off road. Some one with money to burn will make a project out of redoing the JL.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Thats it.... A JL with a Commodore Computer link up. But I guess you would need a land line phone in your vehicle to "dial up" the internet.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Anyone heard of a Commodore Computer?
i do. the old commadore 64. my brother had a complete set minus the screen. he just used a tv for that. i grew up learning the new computer world at that time. even played with the atari before the original nintendo came out.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
If I wanted and old CJ that is a turd, uncomfortable, loud and cracks frames with a 31” tire I would own one. I grew up driving many of those old pieces of shit. Not sure why anyone in their right minds would want to turn the JL into such crap. Comparatively. Why would you want it easy to work on. I don’t want to work on it at all. Lol
Sponsored