Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It is an outlandish concept, I know. I just value control over certain aspects of my life, when possible. I don't want any company like FCA or Deere telling me I can't work on my own car and effectively stop me from doing it by having computer privileges necessary for working on the mechanical/electrical aspects of a vehicle. Technology is and always has been a double edged sword.

This is the sort of thing I want to avoid

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...nal-agenda-workshop-will-examine-restrictions
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...-half-day-nixing-fix-workshop-focusing-repair

Car companies will do anything to stop you from fixing your own car

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/
"Car Companies Say Home Repairs Are 'Legally Problematic,' Seek Copyright Restrictions"

So even if you are good with computers, you may still not be legally allowed to work on your own car, some day.
I'm familiar with the John Deere fiasco, and the various hacks around it as well. While it sets a dangerous precedent for us, the thing to consider is consumer vehicles are very different than industrial farming equipment. There is a growing Right to Repair movement, and while car companies have lots of corporate lawyers and lobbyists, We have SEMA, and the entire aftermarket behind us. Granted, it's a niche market with a handful of smaller companies (compared to Ford, FCA, GM, Toyota, etc), but SEMA has been successful so far, and given the support of "right to repair" legislation in the article i linked, and how vocal and active our enthusiast communities are, and the mass appeal and reach that consumer vehicles have, it doesn't look like that is slowing down, even in the current pro-corporate, anti-consumer protection legislative climate. This is a large problem within the auto industry in particular because the entire industry basically makes it's money on service. Fun fact: a dealer needs 80% of it's revenue to come from Service and parts to keep the lights on. That's not our problem that their business model is ass backwards, we shouldn't be beholden to their mistakes. but I digress.

getting back to your original point: All I was saying is it's probably easier to just buy an older vehicle, or a frame, and build from the frame up. Getting it registered is going to depend on your state, so not entirely impossible, but it can still be tricky. Research your state and local laws before doing anything because that will be the gate.

This is what you want... I know I do.

jeep-wagoneer-roadtr.jpg
YES PLEASE. GIVE TO ME THX.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not sure how this got to 4 pages long but I offer a simple solution:

Buy a barebone Sport.

In 30-50 years time. It will be ancient technology so you can wrench your heart out, while everyone else will be riding flying cars on auto pilot running off thorium.

Good luck and soldier on!

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
I want to do something similar granted its already been done but I'd love to get a 79 Ford f250 and install a 12 valve Cummins in it with as much all mechanical stuff as possible. The only things electric being the lights, starter, radio, and windshield wipers. Everything else including fuel shut off manual and mechanical.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Give me back my Windows XP!
Windows 10 isn’t a bad OS if you spend approximately 24 hours over the course of a week fine tuning it, blocking all the phone-home-to-Microsoft nonsense, adjusting the UI, removing bloatware, and making it your own. Should you have to do all this? Hell no, and it burns me up to this day that I did. Actually, you know what? Fuck Microsoft and Windows 10. I effectively lost the first week of owning my new laptop because of that shit. I had been on W7 until about a year ago when I finally caved.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Windows 10 isn’t a bad OS if you spend approximately 24 hours over the course of a week fine tuning it, blocking all the phone-home-to-Microsoft nonsense, adjusting the UI, removing bloatware, and making it your own. Should you have to do all this? Hell no, and it burns me up to this day that I did. Actually, you know what? Fuck Microsoft and Windows 10. I effectively lost the first week of owning my new laptop because of that shit. I had been on W7 until about a year ago when I finally caved.
You gotta space out the settings, and hope your computer doesnt crash and lose them

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it possible to tear down and re-build the JL series without so much technology? Folks put in new engines, axles, etc. Could you take just the frame and body, and put in an older engine, transmission, etc.? I love older mechanical cars, like from the 70s. Down the road, like when the JL is 30-50 years old, I'd want to strip it down and make it less of a headache to work on. What could I remove that would be ok without the internal computer?
I'm on the same page as you, I miss the good old days, I want to remove all the electronics, doors, AC, roof, windshield, transmission, motor, lights, steering wheel, pedals, brakes, strip it down so its rolling carriage pretty much, add four young strong horses to pull and hit the Oregon trail, of course cross some rivers too, ain't nothing like a horse and carriage.

I was thinking of turning my jeep into a chariot but I'm not that old school....

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
What hasn’t already been said? I mean- yes, you can. But much of what you would strip would cause issue somewhere along the line. The new cars are not made to have electronics removed. I guess you could buy a base sport without anything power and remove the ac? Other than that, sensors are built to keep it working. Not sure what else you’d strip without carving it all out. If you’re going to do that, buy a wrecked one and start there. Much cheaper.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think if FCA continued to sell JK alongside JL as “Wrangler Classic” it would still sell just fine. Just like they are doing with Ram

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
This is a great idea if you want a reliable bug out vehicle. When the sh!t hits the fan, I have a feeling modern vehicles such as the JL will be "turned off" remotely. The capability to do this has already been proven. Slightly less technologically advanced vehicles will be EMP'd. The only thing functioning will be seriously older vehicles with standard distributer and coil ignitions. Our beautiful JLs will be worthless in a post-apocalyptic world unfortunately...

---all except @PyrPatriot 's that is...
i love the 'bug out' threads in all types of forums. bug-out in a vehicle? thats a pipe dream. all you have to do is look at what happens when a controlled bug-out is implemented on the coast of GA when a hurricane is expected. they shut down all south bound lanes coming out of Savannah and the huge numbers of vehicles head north. this is a 'controlled' bug out. now if there is a real serious issue in some major city the bugout will turn into a traffic jam and the roads will become impassable. your bug-out jeep will be just one more vehicle stuck on the road.sure the jeep might be able to get off the road but it still needs to be able to drive on something. all roads will be blocked, not just your interstate.

if you are really serious about 'bugging out' you need to look to pack animals, horses, mules, goats (no joke a lot of folks do treks with pack goats) or llamas (you can go on llama packed hikes in colorado, they will rent you the llamas). all of those animals are capable of going just about anywhere, you can pack lots of gear and your 'support vehicles' can live off the local vegetation.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
i love the 'bug out' threads in all types of forums. bug-out in a vehicle? thats a pipe dream. all you have to do is look at what happens when a controlled bug-out is implemented on the coast of GA when a hurricane is expected. they shut down all south bound lanes coming out of Savannah and the huge numbers of vehicles head north. this is a 'controlled' bug out. now if there is a real serious issue in some major city the bugout will turn into a traffic jam and the roads will become impassable. your bug-out jeep will be just one more vehicle stuck on the road.sure the jeep might be able to get off the road but it still needs to be able to drive on something. all roads will be blocked, not just your interstate.

if you are really serious about 'bugging out' you need to look to pack animals, horses, mules, goats (no joke a lot of folks do treks with pack goats) or llamas (you can go on llama packed hikes in colorado, they will rent you the llamas). all of those animals are capable of going just about anywhere, you can pack lots of gear and your 'support vehicles' can live off the local vegetation.
Plenty of people have them, regardless. And I use the term loosely anyway as its much faster to type "bug-out" than it is "post-apocalyptic / Mad Max scenario-type vehicle". Also many in rural areas will choose to hunker down and homestead rather that immediately head for the hills. They may still want some transport available to them that still works i.e. not EMP'd. Anyway, the thread digresses, but your point was well made.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Is it possible to tear down and re-build the JL series without so much technology? Folks put in new engines, axles, etc. Could you take just the frame and body, and put in an older engine, transmission, etc.? I love older mechanical cars, like from the 70s. Down the road, like when the JL is 30-50 years old, I'd want to strip it down and make it less of a headache to work on. What could I remove that would be ok without the internal computer?
...Buy an older Jeep

1978 Jeep Renegade Levi Edition.jpg

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
...if you are really serious about 'bugging out' you need to look to pack animals, horses, mules, goats (no joke a lot of folks do treks with pack goats) or llamas (you can go on llama packed hikes in colorado, they will rent you the llamas). all of those animals are capable of going just about anywhere, you can pack lots of gear and your 'support vehicles' can live off the local vegetation.
We considered getting pack animals (horses) on my first deployment to Afghanistan. One of our guys was a professional rodeo cowboy before joining Special Forces. He talked us out of getting the horses due to the amount of food, water, shelter, tack, and healthcare that live animals require. These complications only multiply when you are traveling. We still borrowed horses sometimes. We just didn’t keep any on hand.
Sponsored