Crashed my Jeep:(

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Might talk to your DMV to ask the process for salvage as some are more difficult than others.
Most insurance companies give you the option to buy it back for a set value determined by them and your issued a salvage certificate.
Once you have it fixed you can register with the DMV after an inspection usually by the state police and it gets a “rebuilt” title and it’s usually a different color like orange or red.
Id take a rebuilt Jeep and money in the bank any day especially if I did the repairs.
They sell just like a regular used car just harder to get someone to buy due to difficulty finding financing if your not paying cash. I’d say it might drop the value 15-20% but it’s not worthless.
I’ve had two rebuilt titled vehicles and they operated just like the clean title cars just gotta know the ins and outs of the process.
At least with a rebuilt title you know where you stand and what to look for.
Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
If you are going to do all the wrenching/repairs yourself it might be worth it if you can get a salvage title for it. If you have to hire out all the work it won't be worth it.

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Just took it to the body shop. They said in their experience this is going to be a total. The insurance companies said it will be a few days before they make a decision though. Hopefully they won't try to lowball me on the price. This was a pretty loaded Sport-S (not sure what a Sahara has that mine didn't). I got it for a screaming deal 2 months ago because it was a 2018.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Oooph. That hurts man, but glad you’re alright. In the future though, that vehicle was NOT safe or legal to drive home. Should have had it towed away and a rental at the idiots’ expense.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
The insurance will most certainly Total it with the frame damage you showed us. I've seen them totaled for way less damage. I'm on Coparet daily looking for project/flips.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Just took it to the body shop. They said in their experience this is going to be a total. The insurance companies said it will be a few days before they make a decision though. Hopefully they won't try to lowball me on the price. This was a pretty loaded Sport-S (not sure what a Sahara has that mine didn't). I got it for a screaming deal 2 months ago because it was a 2018.
Ouch:crying:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If the accident wasn't your fault, and they repair it, you can claim the insurance company at fault to give you money for depreciation since it was involved in an accident. This in case they decide to repair. I have seen cases where the insurance company decides to put a new frame on it, since the costs are way less than the price of the jeep. Your jeep is valued around 30k so they might go for it.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Glad you and your passenger are OK.If they total it and you get a great deal, it could be worth fixing it yourself and getting a rebuilt title. I’ve purchased and driven 2 rebuilt title cars over the years with a good experience with both. If you’re doing it yourself, I will say you really have to know what you’re doing. A lot of times there is damage on vehicles that you can’t see until you start taking things apart, and it can get very complicated and expensive quickly. It really makes sense If you were planning on driving it until The wheels fell off. If you were going to sell it after two or three years, it begins to make less sense to me to go through all that trouble, as you never get what a clean titled vehicle is worth.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Keep in mind that a "salvage " vehicle will not have a factory warranty after being totaled. That means the 3/36, and Power Train as well. That lack could get expensive

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Keep in mind that a "salvage " vehicle will not have a factory warranty after being totaled. That means the 3/36, and Power Train as well. That lack could get expensive
I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
That is true, and you cannot get full insurance since the vehicle no longer meets the specs and cannot be considered a fully safe vehicle if it was in an accident. Its a lot of labor, but easy to replace the frame on a body on frame vehicle.

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
It will never be the same I would not keep it even if they repair it.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
You can probably get a great deal on another 2018. There's still a glut of these on dealer lots.
According to Jalopnik.com.
"According to a study by data firm iSeeCars, the Wrangler Unlimited and the Wrangler take the #1 and #2 spots for the models with the most leftover 2018 inventory. A full 16.8 percent of Wranglers on lots are 2018 models and a staggering 19.5 percent of Wrangler Unlimiteds are year-old SUVs. That’s compared to an industry average of 4.0 percent of inventory being MY2018."

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
It's always fascinating to read the advice on these threads.

OP- Check YOUR state laws IRT title/salvage/rebuilt. There is a HUGE disparity from state to state on that process. My Harley is titled in TN, and has been "totaled" at least twice. I've still got the same title. Now, I have no intention of selling it, or otherwise getting rid of it, so that doesn't bother me- it is my first motorcycle and has literally had blood, sweat, and tears put into it.

Having some bodywork experience, there isn't anything that can't be repaired if you're willing to foot the bill. But as people have mentioned, do check the peripherals- that warranty thing mentioned is something I wouldn't have thought about. Lots of potential for a hell of a trail rig, if you opt for that.

Good luck!
Sponsored