benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
My jeep is confirmed totaled:(

I am looking for other Jeeps at the moment. It does not look like my local dealers are as eager to sell them as cheap as the did when I bought mine.

I was starting to look at used ones. Does anybody know if the factory warranty is still the same on a used Jeep for the 3/36,000 or is that tied to the original owner?
Sponsored

Bucks45

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2010 JK Sport, 1968 Chevelle, 1981 Camaro, 2017 Cadillac, 2013 HD Street Glide
Occupation
Director of Operations
My jeep is confirmed totaled:(

I am looking for other Jeeps at the moment. It does not look like my local dealers are as eager to sell them as cheap as the did when I bought mine.

I was starting to look at used ones. Does anybody know if the factory warranty is still the same on a used Jeep for the 3/36,000 or is that tied to the original owner?
The factory warranty is transferrable to the new owner. Good luck!

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you come out ok on what they're gonna give you?
I am getting back about what I paid, but I can't seem to find any Jeeps that are really what I would consider a replacement for the amount I am getting. One was close, but didn't have an LSD which I definitely want. I paid about $7000 less than MSRP on mine.

Truecar says I got an "Great Price" (Right at the threshold for Exceptional Price)

Truecar Pricing You paid 37k.png

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
If you repair a car your insurance company deemed totaled it will be worthless. Jeeps hold their value well but one with a bent and replaced frame will be junk.

My advice is get a new Jeep if they total it.
Obviously you haven't seen auction values for Wranglers.

I've got a buddy who buys/repairs/resells salvage vehicles and as much as he'd like to pick up a Wrangler, he won't because even their salvage value is too high.

This might also explain why he's got four late model Infinity's on his driveway that he's repaired for him and his kids.

Sponsored

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
Buying a totalled out vehicle is never as good an idea as anyone tries to convince you it might be. You'll have a worthless vehicle that you'll have to sink thousands into to repair properly, and you'll have a hell of a time finding anyone that will insure a salvage vehicle. Let it go, buy a new one, be done with it.
Completely agree with you. Instead of buying it back form insurance company, finding parts, buying them, putting together, repair etc, spend that money in buying an old jeep of that age, if you are too keen on owning old jeep. Else, go for new one.

ShawnPatt

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The seatbelts I think have some type of explosive that tightens the belts. They were cinched tight on me and my passenger. There was some smoke in the cabin and it smelled like an explosive went off.
Frame.jpg
That was the seatbelt pre-tensioner. It uses a small charge to cinch the seatbelts tight to you. Once they are deployed they have to be replaced.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
I would weigh all the numbers before making a decision and remember the first offer is never the final offer. A couple of years ago my wife's '14 JKUR was flooded. It sat in 40+ inches of fresh water for two days. Insurance totaled it and wanted to give her 32k with a buyback of $12,500. I haggled for over a week and they ended up cutting a check for 36k and I bought it back for $7500. There was no water in the motor. I replaced 2 pulleys, a front axle seal, changed the fluids in tranny and axles, cleaned the interior and have enjoyed a cheap jeep for a couple of years now. Lockers, swaybar, etc. still work perfectly. I then took it to the highway patrol which checked the work, gave me a paper that I took to the DMV which allowed me to register it as a prior salvage. I now have full coverage from State Farm and it's treated, as far as they're concerned as never being wrecked. I got a cheap JKUR and my wife bought an '18 JLUR to replace it. The first Ocean Blue JLUR delivered, to be precise.

Ours was out of warranty so that was never an issue with ours. I wouldn't be scared of buying a salvage vehicle if there was pictures & video of the damage and repairs.

Reabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara unlimited 2018
Just took it to the body shop. They said in their experience this is going to be a total. The insurance companies said it will be a few days before they make a decision though. Hopefully they won't try to lowball me on the price. This was a pretty loaded Sport-S (not sure what a Sahara has that mine didn't). I got it for a screaming deal 2 months ago because it was a 2018.
Have you sent the window sticker to insurances? I had a good deal but made sure it is insured for retail price! ;)

SunStormJLU

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Jl Rubicon
Occupation
Electrican
Vehicle Showcase
If buy it back and turn it into a sweet trail rig I’ve seen older jeeps for sale that probably have 15k invested in them that are going for more than the new fully loaded Moab’s

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Similarly lost our '07 the same way. I was at a stop light, idiot young woman hit me doing an estimated 45. Totaled both, killed one of our dogs and left me with leg pain for over 3 years.
IMAG0504.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Similarly lost our '07 the same way. I was at a stop light, idiot young woman hit me doing an estimated 45. Totaled both, killed one of our dogs and left me with leg pain for over 3 years.
IMAG0504.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg
Wow man, sorry to hear that. I think id murder someone if they killed one of my pets through their stupidity. You have better anger management skills than me.

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMAG0504.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0507.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg
Damn, Sorry to hear about your dog!

My insurance said it would be $13,000 to buy back my Jeep. I told them no.

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last photo of my totaled Sport-S. Had it for 2 months and loved it:(
20190903_091454_HDR.jpg

Last night picked up a replacement. 2020 JLU Rubicon! I had to upgrade for my trouble:like:
20190909_151015.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Wow man, sorry to hear that. I think id murder someone if they killed one of my pets through their stupidity. You have better anger management skills than me.
Yeah, no kidding. Just reading that was instant rage. I obviously wouldn't literally kill them but I really doubt I'd keep my composure either. Losing my dog because someone rear-ended me? Most likely they were either following too close, distracted or both. Neither one of those is an acceptable reason to lose a pet.

On a more positive note. Ben that new Rubi looks great. Any plans for it?
Sponsored