Crashed my Jeep:(

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Last Friday I was in stop and go traffic on Interstate 205. I was stopped and had 2 cars drive into the back of me (my guess is anywhere from 40-60mph). The seatbelts I think have some type of explosive that tightens the belts. They were cinched tight on me and my passenger. There was some smoke in the cabin and it smelled like an explosive went off.

I drove the Jeep home without seat belts. I noticed it pulls a little on the brakes and I can hear some suspension noise on hard bumps. Upon closer inspection my frame is bent ahead of the rear sway bar and shock mounting points. I assume this will result in my insurance company totaling my Jeep.

My question: If they total my Jeep is there any way the frame can be repaired? If I can get a good deal on it from my insurance company I might try to just have the body shop repair the frame and seat belts. I would drive around with the cosmetic damage until maybe I can find a copart Jeep for parts. Attached is a picture of the frame. It looks like this on both sides.

Frame.jpg
Sponsored

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
You can buy a replacement frame for around 1400. I had looked into buying a salvage Jeep with a bent rear frame to do this. Usually they will let you buy back but can’t remember the percentage.

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few more damage pictures and crash pictures:

Crash 1.jpg

Crash2.jpg

Crash3.jpg

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can buy a replacement frame for around 1400. I had looked into buying a salvage Jeep with a bent rear frame to do this. Usually they will let you buy back but can’t remember the percentage.
$1400 isn't bad. Might be fun to try to rebuild a jeep if I can get a good deal from my insurance company.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
dang that sucks, sorry that happened. hopefully everyone involved was ok physically. oh and as a side note, I HATE the traffic on 205, 5, 84 and 217 and basically all around the whole damn city

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
If you repair a car your insurance company deemed totaled it will be worthless. Jeeps hold their value well but one with a bent and replaced frame will be junk.

My advice is get a new Jeep if they total it.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
If you repair a car your insurance company deemed totaled it will be worthless. Jeeps hold their value well but one with a bent and replaced frame will be junk.

Agree. . . maybe buy it back then part it out if you're enthusiastic.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Agree. . . maybe buy it back then part it out if you're enthusiastic.
Disagree. You'll end up with a salvage title. I would think for a Jeep nobody would give a rat's ass about that. If it is going off the road anyway it shouldn't matter.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt you can get a salvage title for it. Insurance company will take it and sell it for salvage to a dealer.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Buying a totalled out vehicle is never as good an idea as anyone tries to convince you it might be. You'll have a worthless vehicle that you'll have to sink thousands into to repair properly, and you'll have a hell of a time finding anyone that will insure a salvage vehicle. Let it go, buy a new one, be done with it.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
You didn't crash your jeep........someone else did. I find myself pulling over more and more to let the A$$ Clowns go by that want to ride a car length off my bumper @ 60-70 mph. I like when it rains........MT tires keep the idiots from following too close. I make it a point to hit all the standing water I can find as well as any road kill I can find.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

IDK, I'd take the salvage title on mine if it got crashed. Either part it out as Jamie mentioned, or make it into a dedicated trail rig.

Doubt you can get a salvage title for it. Insurance company will take it and sell it for salvage to a dealer.
Absolutely you can, it's your vehicle and your choice. If you want the salvage title, they just deduct the value that they would have gotten from the dealer/salvage yard/etc. So for example if salvage value is $4K and they're going to give you $30K for the totaled value, they'll give you the salvage title, and $26K.

........MT tires keep the idiots from following too close. I make it a point to hit all the standing water I can find as well as any road kill I can find.
Ha ha. And here I thought I was the only one who aimed for puddles to throw up a buffer spray. It does work great to back the tailgaters off. Road kill though.... that's just funny.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
PS Ben. I'm not sure how bad you Jeep looks, but as I understand it, frame damage isn't the kiss of death it once was. I'm pretty sure they can fix minor frame damage now. Though I'm not sure what's considered "minor". I would't write the Jeep off just yet, but it's a good idea to start looking at what your options are (just like this thread).

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Damn man, at least no one was hurt!

I'd also be very surprised if they if they totaled out the Jeep based on the pictures you posted.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Damn man, at least no one was hurt!

I'd also be very surprised if they if they totaled out the Jeep based on the pictures you posted.
I agree. Based on the pictures it looks like it will be repaired.
Sponsored