Sponsored

Crashed 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara in less than 12 hours.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I would do. The other company is going to try to get out of this paying as little as possible and a total loss is the most expensive option I would think. Have your company take the fight on.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Seat belts have a charge usually located in reciever end that deploys in a crash to affect how the belt holds your position. That's your smoke, I've replaced them in cars that were in collisions before, that's why light is on. Sounds like airbag wouldn't have helped so it was not deployed by controller. No need for a lawyer involving jeep but maybe the texted behind you?
That makes sense, nice info!

Wonder what the foam was in his footwell.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your Jeep isn't declared totaled...you need to file a "diminished value" claim with the guy's insurance that hit you. The value of the vehicle will never be the same and if you trade it in, you'll get less since it has now been involved in an accident.
I'd use that angle and push for a new replacement without a lawyer (will just cost you more upfront and your insurance may do the right thing).

Unsure about your injuries and what you want to do there.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol....we moved here 6 months ago. From my understanding, they never really learned to drive here. I have lived in a few cities but never lived anywhere where they just do a u turn right in front of you while you are driving. :swear:
Orlando.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly with a bent frame I'd pray they total it. 37 miles and you are needing to have a frame straightened... that sucks especially on an off road vehicle. That's just my opinion, I'm sure someone on here will say don't worry, blah blah blah... but that someone doesn't have a smashed up Jeep either :(
Good call...just zero in on a frame problem if it has one and I bet they replace it.

Hope you recover and don't have any lingering injuries @dabears55.

OP
OP
dabears55

dabears55

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Okay update - Thanks again for everyone's responses/replies. Liberty Mutual's response:

Normally a total loss is considered when the threshold is above 80%. The state of Utah does not have this limit, its stated as the cost of repairs plus salvage value is greater than the actual cash value, no state mandated threshold. So with the initial estimate written up by the shop does not put it into the total loss category.

I spoke to the repair shop yesterday and they explained that the frame is not even on sale yet....they are all going to the manufacturing plants. I am 3rd on the list. They have too lift the body of the frame and move the engine, drive terrain, etc over to the new frame then reassemble it..."not that hard". I spoke to my insurance (Geico) and they said that I am doing it the best possible way by taking it up with LM since they accepted responibility. Geico said the also would go of of the repair shop's estimate. The frame costs $1600 and assuming the other parts total $1400 then the shop gets $5,000. Why wouldn't they want to repair it. Geico told me " I don't balme you for wanting it replaced...it's basically a salvage."

Looks like I will need to lawyer up.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a tough break...glad you are relatively ok though.

Good luck, man!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Thanks for the reply and the info. I will ask the dealer and body repair shop why the passenger seat belt pre tension system didn’t fire. I rember my forehead burning after the accident but I was busy making sure that my wife and elderly guy ( who was an ex Marine who had been shot in both legs) was ok. I went and got x-rays on my nose because it hurt to tough. Thankfully no break. I am thankful it was not worse which it could have been.
Minor nit - "former Marine" not "ex Marine". Glad to hear your wife and you aren't seriously injured, sorry to hear the prognosis on your new Jeep.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Man that sucks. I would def consult a lawyer. For $100 sit down with him and see if you have legal options. For $100 it's worth the piece of mind knowing you did all you could.

IF you get stuck with it make sure to get some sort of warranty from that shop for a loooong time.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Man that sucks. I would def consult a lawyer. For $100 sit down with him and see if you have legal options. For $100 it's worth the piece of mind knowing you did all you could.

IF you get stuck with it make sure to get some sort of warranty from that shop for a loooong time.
Asking a lawyer if you have legal options? LMAO... Of course he's going to tell you that you have legal options since to do otherwise would be to turn away business. That would be like asking a prostitute if she thought that you should pay her for sex.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol....we moved here 6 months ago. From my understanding, they never really learned to drive here. I have lived in a few cities but never lived anywhere where they just do a u turn right in front of you while you are driving. :swear:
I've spent a few weeks here and there up in SLC, usually during ski season though. I didn't particularly notice them driving any better or worse than most of the other places that I've visited over the years. Now, on the other hand, Chicago and NYC were perhaps slightly worse, but seemed a lot worse due to the rudeness of the drivers.

Q: "How do NYers say 'hello'?"
A: "Up yours!"

Hell, I've actually seen the city bus drivers in Chicago yelling profanities and "shooting the bird" at each other.

Compared to people like that, SLC drivers are virtual angels... :)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Asking a lawyer if you have legal options? LMAO... Of course he's going to tell you that you have legal options since to do otherwise would be to turn away business. That would be like asking a prostitute if she thought that you should pay her for sex.
Haha... there was an inference that the OP would have a bit of a deeper discussion to see if he really had a case. Plus there are lawyers who will tell you straight up if you have no chance.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haha... there was an inference that the OP would have a bit of a deeper discussion to see if he really had a case. Plus there are lawyers who will tell you straight up if you have no chance.
Yeah, there are rumors that there are ethical lawyers out there, but having never seen one, I suspect it is just another of those urban legends or fairy tales...

"Once upon a time, there was an ethical lawyer ..."

BRAAAHHHHHAAAAAAHHAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA !!!!

Sorry, laughed so hard that beer came out my nose... Need a new keyboard now...
Sponsored