Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Noticed the driver side starting to bubble about 18 months in…
Noticed the driver side starting to bubble about 18 months in…
Mine is currently in for paint a second time in over a year. I am dealing with the same rep from Stellantis, because she is awesome.
The dealers and body shops though…Holy ?!$&…
I hope this work out, but I suspect it will be back again. Mine is a 2019 Mojito Rubicon with just over 27000…so still under warranty…once that’s over…one bubble and it’s gone.
You have more patients than me
mine would have been gone !

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
So, I've read all 122 pages of this thread from July 2019 to present... wow, unacceptable at this scale in this day and age!

We bought our JLUR 4xe mid 2021 and will be keeping on eye on problem areas and try to be proactive.

---

For non-rust corrosion on undamaged panels/hinges, there seems to be 2 main causes at the factory build stage:

1) For issues around the hinges of doors, tailgate and hood... Dissimilar metals (aka Galvanic Corrosion) between the aluminum hinges, door panels and steel bolts with insufficient separation via coatings or gaskets.

2) For issues elsewhere such as door and hood edges... Contaminants during painting process, such as fine iron dust, adhering to aluminum panels.

---

I've read that many owners tried to rectify the problems in various ways once discovered. I'm looking for an update from the following Jeep owners who did different things:

1) @JL.FR - How has the regular application of WD-40 around the hinges after rain or washing held up? Any signs of corrosion?

2) @AMKRubicon610 - You proactively replaced the hinges, sanded, painted and Fluid Film'd underneath, and regularly around hinge edges afterwards. Any issues to date?

3) @Coronado - You mentioned you use 'Corrosion Block' along the top side of the hinges. Are you still corrosion free?

4) @wibornz - How has the warranty repaint of the door hinges been? Any issues with paint quality or colour? Any new corrosion?

5) @Ifraaz - You had warranty replacement of hinges, doors, hood and tailgate. Are you satisfied?

6) @brewtus98 - You had warranty repaint of hinges, hood and fenders. Has any corrosion returned?

7) @TangoRomeo7688 - You proactively replaced the hinges, sanded, used primer, repainted, then added a gasket/foil separator between hinges and doors. What are your thoughts to date?

Thank-you Jeep community!

Last edited:

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
So, I've read all 122 pages of this thread from July 2019 to present... wow, unacceptable at this scale in this day and age!

We bought our JLUR 4xe mid 2021 and will be keeping on eye on problem areas and try to be proactive.

---

For non-rust corrosion on undamaged panels/hinges, there seems to be 2 main causes at the factory build stage:

1) For issues around the hinges of doors, tailgate and hood... Dissimilar metals (aka Galvanic Corrosion) between the aluminum hinges, door panels and steel bolts with insufficient separation via coatings or gaskets.

2) For issues elsewhere such as door and hood edges... Contaminants during painting process, such as fine iron dust, adhering to aluminum panels.

---

I've read that many owners tried to rectify the problems in various ways once discovered. I'm looking for an update from the following Jeep owners who did different things:

1) @JL.FR - How has the regular application of WD-40 around the hinges after rain or washing held up? Any signs of corrosion?

2) @AMKRubicon610 - You proactively replaced the hinges, sanded, painted and Fluid Film'd underneath, and regularly around hinge edges afterwards. Any issues to date?

3) @Coronado - You mentioned you use 'Corrosion Block' along the top side of the hinges. Are you still corrosion free?

4) @wibornz - How has the warranty repaint of the door hinges been? Any issues with paint quality or colour? Any new corrosion?

5) @Ifraaz - You had warranty replacement of hinges, doors, hood and tailgate. Are you satisfied?

6) @brewtus98 - You had warranty repaint of hinges, hood and fenders. Has any corrosion returned?

7) @TangoRomeo7688 - You proactively replaced the hinges, sanded, used primer, repainted, then added a gasket/foil separator between hinges and doors. What are your thoughts to date?

No issues to date, still applying fluid film around the hinges (on the bare, exposed metal on the door skin around the hinges). Jeep will only be a year old later this month tho. But so far so good. Just sucks cause fluid film leaves an ugly looking residue after it rains and the fluid film runs down the door. Cleans off fine though. I am selling my Jeep soon tho, so I’m sure I’ll never know if this method worked or not

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

---

---

Mine was done. Great.

Sponsored

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired

---

forgive me if this was already answered, I didn’t read all 122 pages, but, are there aluminum bolts that can be used to prevent galvanic corrosion? Thanks.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
forgive me if this was already answered, I didn’t read all 122 pages, but, are there aluminum bolts that can be used to prevent galvanic corrosion? Thanks.
This was brought up and I think the consensus was that aluminum bolts wouldn’t be strong enough

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2 Diesel

---

---

Hi,

until now, there aren't any problems with the doors, while the bonnet and the rear gate are starting to build bubbles around the hinges.

So, yes.. I think this method works Well, and I soon have to take care of the other hinges I didn't replace yet.

Tobias

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

---

---

No corrosion had returned in the several months that I had the jeep after repairs. I won't be able to report further on it because I gave up on the JL. I will stick to my 3 TJ models that I have for the "Jeep experience". WAY TOO MANY problems with this jeep. My axle went out again (limited slip rear) at 39k. Also, the repaint still didn't match the greatest after 3 attempts, and no matter how much I had polished/buffed out I couldn't get the gloss to return to what it looked like factory. Passenger seat also started popping and moving around at the joint (common issue), heated seats working intermittently, and wind noise TERRIBLE. In my opinion Jeep/Stellantis has a LONG WAY to go to correct issues on this platform. Especially for the price they charge.

Moved on to a Chevy Truck again for my daily ('21 Trail Boss crew cab).

Good luck to all.

spenat

First Name
nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sting grey JLUR
Clubs

dropping mine off next week for the paint job, all doors , hood and tailgate

estimate was for 2 weeks

jeep says they will only cover 5 days rental ? any suggestions about this?

also should I remove my auto/start blocker?

also has anyone had any luck asking them to prime under the hinges?

Sponsored

Ifraaz

First Name
Ifraaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

---

---

So far so good. Happy with the replacement panels. Not happy with the time it took and the respray they had to do. (Read my posts)

Last edited:

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have minor corrosion bubbles on most all hinges (x12). Working with a 2020 Rubicon. Most area of corrosion have been there for past year or so. Ironically, my work vehicle (2017 Grand Cherokee) has a fairly major corrosion spot on the front of the hood. I've been watching this "active" corrosion on the Grand Cherokee as my test specimen. Honestly, it sucks and is the size of a half-dollar, but it's not my vehicle and will be replaced soon. Note: all paint has remained on this corrosion and most would never really notice.

Now back to my 20' JLUR.. It's black and like I said, all 12 hinges have very minor corrosion/bubbles. I'm very skeptical to even report this issue to FCA (dealership) as they may insist to "fix" the matter now vs. waiting. After following this thread for past year, I'm thinking my best approach would be to just wait it out till last day to file complaint/open case through dealer (warranty expiration @ 3yrs/36k mi for full sheet metal and 5 years/ 100k miles outer-body sheet metal ). So, the question is do i wait till just prior to 3 yr/36k or 5 year/100k?

Some may ask, why wait at all? Well, I can live with corrosion with paint on top but i cannot live with mismatched hood, 4 doors and rear tailgate. The chance of a shop matching all 6 panels to tub...well..let this thread answer that question....

And I will say, other the the paint issue, which may be something I can live with if the spread is slow (its corrosion, not rust), everything else (outside of steering- plans to address) has been just fine. And after watching how slow the spread is on my work vehicle, idk, might not "spread-spread" bad till 5 years from now when the jeep will most likely be on its way to a new owner.

I have a Jeep Service Advisor "in the family", also been starting this conversation with her, will update on what she advises. And yes, her dealer has seen many corrosion on the hinges cases.

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have minor corrosion bubbles on most all hinges (x12). Working with a 2020 Rubicon. Most area of corrosion have been there for past year or so. Ironically, my work vehicle (2017 Grand Cherokee) has a fairly major corrosion spot on the front of the hood. I've been watching this "active" corrosion on the Grand Cherokee as my test specimen. Honestly, it sucks and is the size of a half-dollar, but it's not my vehicle and will be replaced soon. Note: all paint has remained on this corrosion and most would never really notice.

Now back to my 20' JLUR.. It's black and like I said, all 12 hinges have very minor corrosion/bubbles. I'm very skeptical to even report this issue to FCA (dealership) as they may insist to "fix" the matter now vs. waiting. After following this thread for past year, I'm thinking my best approach would be to just wait it out till last day to file complaint/open case through dealer (warranty expiration @ 3yrs/36k mi for full sheet metal and 5 years/ 100k miles outer-body sheet metal ). So, the question is do i wait till just prior to 3 yr/36k or 5 year/100k?

Some may ask, why wait at all? Well, I can live with corrosion with paint on top but i cannot live with mismatched hood, 4 doors and rear tailgate. The chance of a shop matching all 6 panels to tub...well..let this thread answer that question....

And I will say, other the the paint issue, which may be something I can live with if the spread is slow (its corrosion, not rust), everything else (outside of steering- plans to address) has been just fine. And after watching how slow the spread is on my work vehicle, idk, might not "spread-spread" bad till 5 years from now when the jeep will most likely be on its way to a new owner.

I have a Jeep Service Advisor "in the family", also been starting this conversation with her, will update on what she advises. And yes, her dealer has seen many corrosion on the hinges cases.
My fear would be Jeep would say they never received the claim. I'm having issues with my dealer now. They claim they sent the pictures, but I have no proof. I'm dealing with a very unexperienced service tech who messed something else up for me, so my faith is gone. I asked JeepCares if they could find out if my claim was submitted and they said they can't. So frustrating. It's been 11 weeks now.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Morale to the story - watch for corrosion and dump the Jeep if it starts developing. My 2020 is two years old and corrosion free thus far…but I am not optimistic…

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
So I'm currently dealing with a unique situation. 2019 JLUR firecracker red with 28k miles. 2 weeks outside of 3 year bumper warranty. Last year hood and hinges had to be completely replaced due to corrosion. Less than a year later and while I was away at work for 10 days the entire jeep paint is separating underneath the clearcoat. In some spots already flaking. Dealership had someone from out of town come inspect it and said it's not corrosion and denied all warranty. Upon going back to pick it up I found corrosion bubbles just like the hood had last year on door hinges. Early stages. The same thing that happened with the hood just looks much worse around the entire jeep. Every piece of factory painted metal panel on the jeep had this happen. Within 10 days of me being away at work. I have just started a case number to begin the process. 3 year old year and this is the 3rd time it will need paint work.

20210202_141422.jpg

20210202_140257.jpg

20210202_140255.jpg

20210202_141403.jpg

20220205_143357.jpg

20220205_143335.jpg

20220205_143315.jpg

20220205_143304.jpg

20220205_143252.jpg

20220205_143246.jpg
Sponsored