Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I decided to go to the Chrysler dealer today to see what they had to say. On closer inspection, I found that 7 of my 8 door hinges had some level of blistering under the paint, either on the hinge itself or on the raised flange of the door panel. The tech at the dealer took photos of each area, and said that I was the third 2018 Jeep today with corrosion. He showed me the dozens of photos on his phone. His next step is to file a claim with Chrysler.

What shame! Iā€™ve babied this Wrangler since new. Iā€™ve coated the underside with Fluid Film precisely to protect it our notorious road salt. I donā€™t off-road, keep it garaged, and hand wash frequently.

Iā€™ve got a feeling this is a huge problem across all JLs and JKs. Iā€™m going to look more closely at the next ā€œjeep-upā€ event.

Update: 3 trips and 2 phone calls to the dealer, I finally got word today that the claim was approved. They farm out the body work to a local shop. I'm scheduled to drop it off on 10/11.
Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The bubbles are not JUST at the hinges. I have two spots on the door panels near the bottom..
My dealer is not taking any paint problems at this time as they are not getting paid for work done on previous work done. Some Im in limbo.
It also seems like maybe there is metal dust from the form/mold for the door panels from when they are formed/pressed that is not getting cleaned properly before paint.. Im thinking this may be the problem with the bubbling.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
The bubbles are not JUST at the hinges. I have two spots on the door panels near the bottom..
My dealer is not taking any paint problems at this time as they are not getting paid for work done on previous work done. Some Im in limbo.
It also seems like maybe there is metal dust from the form/mold for the door panels from when they are formed/pressed that is not getting cleaned properly before paint.. Im thinking this may be the problem with the bubbling.
Yes that is (1) of (2) different problems with these ridiculous aluminum body panels - not well exececuted. Went to pick mine up last night and color match was good but now dirt in paint . Third times a charm (I guess).

Sponsored

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Yes that is (1) of (2) different problems with these ridiculous aluminum body panels - not well exececuted. Went to pick mine up last night and color match was good but now dirt in paint . Third times a charm (I guess).
can you post pics

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
can you post pics
Pics of the bubbling and paint mismatch are earlier in this thread along with corroded tailgate

PM me if you would like more or cannot find and I would be glad to share.

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
18 JLUS here. Just over 90k miles now. Noticed small bubbles when new that have now spread to just about every hinge on the Jeep now. Most are on the aluminum panel, but a few extend to the hinge now. Hood hinges have now started flaking paint. Also an isolated spot on the edge of my hood that has bubbled, nowhere near the hinge. I'm in deep south TX on the Gulf where corrosion is somewhat accelerated but this is unacceptable.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
18 JLUS here. Just over 90k miles now. Noticed small bubbles when new that have now spread to just about every hinge on the Jeep now. Most are on the aluminum panel, but a few extend to the hinge now. Hood hinges have now started flaking paint. Also an isolated spot on the edge of my hood that has bubbled, nowhere near the hinge. I'm in deep south TX on the Gulf where corrosion is somewhat accelerated but this is unacceptable.
Have you talked to a dealer yet?

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some dealers I understand have pre-approval to perform these repairs, while other have to submit photos and that it was takes the time for Stellantis to get back with approval. That is only what I have heard. My experience with my dealer was right out of the gate they were going to fix it. I only had to bring it back because of bodyshop schedule and not warranty approval.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Some dealers I understand have pre-approval to perform these repairs, while other have to submit photos and that it was takes the time for Stellantis to get back with approval. That is only what I have heard. My experience with my dealer was right out of the gate they were going to fix it. I only had to bring it back because of bodyshop schedule and not warranty approval.
My dealer doesnā€™t offer a loaner.
Theyā€™re making me take a rental from enterprise and they cover $35 day

They told me to leave the car there. Jeep Cares told me once I get a case representative theyā€™ll try and pay me for the rental. Imagine paying for a rental waiting for a repair approval..:

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer doesnā€™t offer a loaner.
Theyā€™re making me take a rental from enterprise and they cover $35 day

They told me to leave the car there. Jeep Cares told me once I get a case representative theyā€™ll try and pay me for the rental. Imagine paying for a rental waiting for a repair approval..:
Yup I would push to have it covered. Luckily, my dealer provides and I have been in a loaner since 8/25 for this issue - 5 weeks/3k miles so far and still not done.

CCWillys

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC, JLU Willys on the way
I had a 2016 grand Cherokee that had the same problem on the front of the hood. Luckily the dealer took care of it under warranty without any problems and it turned out good as new.

Does the problem still exist with newly built JLā€™s? Iā€™m picking mine up later this week.
Sponsored