Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

318Polara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2dr
Jeep going in May 10 for corrosion around door hinges. This time really no hassle like steering gear was.
Sponsored

Glivig

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Getting both doors repainted in 2 days
On my own dime. 2 doors redone for 900$ plus tax. I hope they can match the colors perfectly otherwise I’m wrapping it around a tree.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Went to a cars and coffee this past Sunday morning. Several modded JLs there. Checked all the door hinges. No corrosion visible.
Gna get a lot of hate but the only place I’ve seen corrosion so far is on this forum. And I always remember to take a close look at the hinges anytime I see a JL in person.

Yes it is a very very big problem, but it doesn’t appear to be as vast and all-encompassing as people believe and I’m not sure yet it affects every single Jeep Wrangler JL. People will argue that the production methods are the cause of the issue and therefore every single wrangler will experience it. I do completely agree their production methods need to change, they need to paint (or at least prime) and then attach the hinges. It would be even better if they used the same metal for door, hinge, and bolts. Despite this major issue during production, I’m not sure the corrosion manifests itself on every single wrangler JL in existence. There just can be dozens of different factors (most of which we have no idea about) that cause the corrosion to begin and to seep out away from the hinges underneath the paint.
I guess we’ll know much more about how widespread it actually is in another 2-3 years..
I’d still love to take all preventative measures, but I wish there was some way of knowing exactly how widespread it really is.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
here in France we don't have a lot of JL but there are still some cases of corrosion. The majority of owners find out about the forums and know the problem. The treatment applied is a transparent epoxy coating between doors and hinges or without disassembly spray CRC5-56 or other similar moisture repellant. If not lucky, JEEP takes the repair under warranty.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Went to a cars and coffee this past Sunday morning. Several modded JLs there. Checked all the door hinges. No corrosion visible.
I got rid of my 18' JL with a bunch of issues. I traded for a 21' JT with a build date of March 2021. I will report if it also starts corroding.

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hi there! Joined this forum to ask what sort of luck you’ve all had with Jeep warranty coverage. I’ve got a 2018 JLU with the exact same corrosion that everyone else has in this thread. The dealer got back to me yesterday and said that while the corrosion on the door would be covered, the hinges are not covered by any form of corrosion warranty, and that removing, repainting, and replacing them would be at my cost. The dealer blamed Stellantis, and said that until recently it would have been covered but corporate said no. “Something to do with the merger”. Hoping I’ve just got a shady dealer, because I’m going to another dealer tomorrow to try again.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi there! Joined this forum to ask what sort of luck you’ve all had with Jeep warranty coverage. I’ve got a 2018 JLU with the exact same corrosion that everyone else has in this thread. The dealer got back to me yesterday and said that while the corrosion on the door would be covered, the hinges are not covered by any form of corrosion warranty, and that removing, repainting, and replacing them would be at my cost. The dealer blamed Stellantis, and said that until recently it would have been covered but corporate said no. “Something to do with the merger”. Hoping I’ve just got a shady dealer, because I’m going to another dealer tomorrow to try again.
You tell them the only “merger” that has caused your issue ....is the “merger” of 2 dissimilar metals! .....And that merger, nor their personal one, is any of your problem ....only there’s!

So fix it! Show them their own damn tsb.
Seriously @JeepCares why should ppl have issues with dealers, when the damn company that they work for has a tsb to fix this issue.

it’s so discouraging that ppl have to deal with this, than on top of it have to go through the hassle for the dealer/company who issued the tsb, of getting them to do it under warranty (because that’s what it’s for) and frankly shut up.

Honeslty hearing these stories is ridiculous. That dealer will .....this dealer won’t!?!
Give me a break

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
There is a role reversal in this lying poker game. The garage should stand up for its client because it is he who allows him to earn dollars, but he does the opposite and loses the trust of some of his clients. And yet they spend a lot of money to sell his cars. Understanding what's in their heads (if they have one ...) is depressing

Homebrwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL sahara
Build Thread
Link
Took mine to the dealer which has a body shop on site. Bought mine May 2018, JLUS. The rep there noted the current corrosion I have.
Corrosion is covered as a 5 Year unlimited mile warranty.
I was advised to wait. Basically if you have some corrosion and it gets repaired under warranty if you find additional corrosion after the fact and you are still below the 5 year mark it will be very difficult to get the approval for a second go round.
I am waiting till I get close to the 5 Year mark and then bringing it back in.
Echo what everyone else has said, known issue that seems to be ignored by the Mfg. I would believe an attorney would do well in a class action suit, even if it isn't a safety issue.

Sponsored

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Took mine to the dealer which has a body shop on site. Bought mine May 2018, JLUS. The rep there noted the current corrosion I have.
Corrosion is covered as a 5 Year unlimited mile warranty.
I was advised to wait. Basically if you have some corrosion and it gets repaired under warranty if you find additional corrosion after the fact and you are still below the 5 year mark it will be very difficult to get the approval for a second go round.
I am waiting till I get close to the 5 Year mark and then bringing it back in.
Echo what everyone else has said, known issue that seems to be ignored by the Mfg. I would believe an attorney would do well in a class action suit, even if it isn't a safety issue.
5 year corrosion is for rust through only. Most dealers will turn you away after 3 years. Happened with my JK hinges. :-(

Homebrwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL sahara
Build Thread
Link
5 year corrosion is for rust through only. Most dealers will turn you away after 3 years. Happened with my JK hinges. :-(
I was told 5yrs for mine. First by the person that answered my original phone call and then the service manager.
Mine was creeping up on three years so that is why I brought it in, not being sure of the warranty coverage on this issue.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I was told 5yrs for mine. First by the person that answered my original phone call and then the service manager.
Mine was creeping up on three years so that is why I brought it in, not being sure of the warranty coverage on this issue.
Read the warranty, I would beware.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I bet the bronco is gunna have this same issue develop for some people on their tailgate hinges

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I toured the local Jeep dealer this morning. They had about 5 used JLs on the lot and every single one of them had this issue to varying degrees. The worst I saw was on a punk’n Sahara that where the corrosion started from the hinge and carried about 3 inches inwards today’s the center of the door. Perhaps that’s why they’ve been traded in...
Sponsored