Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
It would be nice to know the percentage of them that are having this issue. If it was only like 20%, I’d feel a lot better. If it’s 80%, I’m not sure I’m even going to buy one.
I'm guessing its on the higher side of the percentage scale.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
It would be nice to know the percentage of them that are having this issue. If it was only like 20%, I’d feel a lot better. If it’s 80%, I’m not sure I’m even going to buy one.
I’d go try to find a couple used JL’s on a lot, look at as many as you can and do an experiment for yourself. Let us know what you find and how many have corrosion!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’d go try to find a couple used JL’s on a lot, look at as many as you can and do an experiment for yourself. Let us know what you find and how many have corrosion!
I did this last fall - 2 out of 3 2019s on my dealer’s used lot had the problem. The sample size is too small to draw a meaningful conclusion but I doubt the problem is rare....I wish it was rare...as this is a deal breaker for me if it happens.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I did this last fall - 2 out of 3 2019s on my dealer’s used lot had the problem. The sample size is too small to draw a meaningful conclusion but I doubt the problem is rare....I wish it was rare...as this is a deal breaker for me if it happens.
Oh that’s a bummer, I haven’t done this yet but I guess I’m not surprised to hear what you found.
Agreed, if this happens to me it’s a dealbreaker as well!

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
That's probably because the third one didn't corrode "yet". All of them have this issue. They are all made the same. Every single one does not come painted between the hinges. None of them are treated or painted properly. Every single one HAS this issue. Every single JL and JT are going to corrode. Most of them starting after the first year. @JeepCares

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
That's probably because the third one didn't corrode "yet". All of them have this issue. They are all made the same. Every single one does not come painted between the hinges. None of them are treated or painted properly. Every single one HAS this issue. Every single JL and JT are going to corrode. Most of them starting after the first year. @JeepCares
I didn't want to say it but I also think they are 100% the same. All built the same and will corrode the same.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
I hope I didn't come off rude. 🤣
It was more directed at FCA.
haha I just didn't want to discourage people to not buy the jeep. Every manufacturer has its separate problems. Even if the new buyers didn't want to buy this vehicle for this issue they can buy a chev or ford and have a whole different set of issues.

No such thing as flawless.

Last edited:

Lightsped

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys, 2017 Tacoma Off Road, Honda S2000.
Occupation
Technology Research
I checked the JL classified section here with a focus on 2018/2019 JLs. Not all of the ads have the best photos, but from the ones I viewed, I was unable to locate any large obvious signs of corrosion. I checked through the first 3 or 4 pages.

Sponsored

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
I checked the JL classified section here with a focus on 2018/2019 JLs. Not all of the ads have the best photos, but from the ones I viewed, I was unable to locate any large obvious signs of corrosion. I checked through the first 3 or 4 pages.
I have a 2019 and a coworker has 2018 JL. We both have spots on ours. I have multiple but his only one so far. One is too many.

JLURubiRed18

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR ‘18
Sadly joining this thread with the my ‘18 JLUR...just noticed corrosion on most of my doors and hinges. Took it in today to get the warranty process started (my 3 year/36k miles expires next month!). This is my 3rd Jeep and this issue was still surprising and beyond disappointing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges B64511C8-10A6-4F74-B0CC-1AC66EADAB49
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 62F74764-D5DB-4EB8-8CE0-7A9C5FF929C7

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Same when I looked at 18 on the used dealer lot

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Sadly joining this thread with the my ‘18 JLUR...just noticed corrosion on most of my doors and hinges. Took it in today to get the warranty process started (my 3 year/36k miles expires next month!). This is my 3rd Jeep and this issue was still surprising and beyond disappointing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 62F74764-D5DB-4EB8-8CE0-7A9C5FF929C7
Get it fix and dump my Jeep went up 6k in trade in value since feb

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i'd be so curious to see what it looks like underneath the hinge. just to know what exactly is going on. sorry this happened to you as well, hope the paint looks good afterwards
Sponsored