Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Bionicrooster

Threads
Reaction score
i hear ya man, cant blame you one bit. i was a bronco reservation holder but ended up with the jeep. which trim are you ordering? id be really interested to hear how you like the bronco compared to your jeep
I need to see one in person on the dealer lot first but I am planning on the Big Bend, and then building from there, same as I did with my JLU Sport S.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Kate @JeepCares ,

Thank you for replying. Would you be willing to escalate this thread to someone who can address the ongoing corrosion issue as a whole (and not each individual case)? This is a widespread, well known issue, and as such, Jeep's official stance on the subject should also be well known.

I think most of us who have had corrosion repairs done (some multiple times), just want to know if Jeep will stand behind their product and the repairs done at their dealerships. If so, in what form will that support be?
Unfortunately, I cannot "bulk escalate" this thread and all concerns must be considered on a case by case basis. Do know, the thread has been documented appropriately on our end and the proper internal teams are aware. That said, our team will be in private message for anyone who needs assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just went to my local dealership scott robinson jeep in torrence.

They are literally the worse and seem to make sure they do all they can to make the customer not want to come back to them for service.

I had a scheduled appointment with them , showed up 5 minute early, waited about 15 minutes to get help (no biggie), then when I asked about the appointment was told they cant help.

the three things I had set were an evaluation for the paint (hood and 2 doors), a seatbelt recall and a "jeep cares" oil change and tire rotation.

For the seatbelt / oil change I was told would take 5-6 hours, no loaners and no uber home, and for the paint was told they wont even take pictures because they don't have paint/ body shop, That I should just leave and go to another dealer to have everything don't at another dealer.

What a bunch of f-ing clowns.

I left and now have to find another dealer with " a body shop"

Any ideas for one in Los angles? @JeepCares
Very sorry to hear this, sounds frustrating! We can certainly locate another dealer near you to work with and assist you through the process if necessary. Send our team a private message to get started and please include your zip code!

Kate
Jeep Cares

ellesshoe

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Unfortunately, I cannot "bulk escalate" this thread and all concerns must be considered on a case by case basis. Do know, the thread has been documented appropriately on our end and the proper internal teams are aware. That said, our team will be in private message for anyone who needs assistance.

Kate
Jeep Cares
I sent a PM to Jeep Cares on 3/22 and have not heard anything back yet. How long does it usually take to get a response?

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this really sucks. I just bought my 18' rubicon a couple weeks ago. Seen this thread and wouldn't you know it. I have 4 hinges doing the same thing at only 34k miles. My first Jeep and I was so excited. Now I'm scared to drive it

Sponsored

Jeep007

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Kate
Jeep Cares
I would hope this issue has been escalated to the engineering department by now. I traded in my JL because of this as I find it unacceptable in this day of modern vehicles to have a car that corrodes/rusts on its own because of a design flaw and poor painting process. I would like to have another wrangler in the future but I cannot allow myself to buy one until this problem has been resolved at the manufacturing level.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Kate
Jeep Cares
Already everyone, you heard it hear first.
See the issue, report the issue. Individually. Nothing will trigger change like an overwhelming flood of documentation.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
And for anyone putting all their faith in the multi-delayed Bronco, I wouldn't put too much faith in Ford just yet. My last Ford was the first vehicle I ever purchased new. At 75-80k miles it didn't just have annoying problems, it had dangerous ones. Driving at 70 on the freeway the motor would cut off. Had to pull over, wait 15 minutes, and start the car again. That happened at least 5 times.

I also had an incident where I went to close the driver door, and it simply didn't latch. The latch had locked in the down position. I had to drive to a shop holding the door shut. That was the final straw. Got it fixed and had it traded in for a new vehicle by the weekend.

Although the Bronco looks great, I'm not about to jump into another Ford, especially a first year, first gen model.

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this really sucks. I just bought my 18' rubicon a couple weeks ago. Seen this thread and wouldn't you know it. I have 4 hinges doing the same thing at only 34k miles. My first Jeep and I was so excited. Now I'm scared to drive it
Took a ride to nearby dealership this morning. He says I should be covered under warranty but in order to match the color he will need to blend the fender. If they fix it right and solve the problem great. But I have a feeling my Rubicon I worked so hard for is going to look like a turd after repaint. I'm sick to my stomach over this

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Here in Europe we also have corrosion, but some owners have anticipated and we injected WD40 between the parts or we put primer or epoxy below. A lot because they already had the problem on the JKs hinges.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Here in Europe we also have corrosion, but some owners have anticipated and we injected WD40 between the parts or we put primer or epoxy below. A lot because they already had the problem on the JKs hinges.
How has that held up in preventing corrosion?

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Took a ride to nearby dealership this morning. He says I should be covered under warranty but in order to match the color he will need to blend the fender. If they fix it right and solve the problem great. But I have a feeling my Rubicon I worked so hard for is going to look like a turd after repaint. I'm sick to my stomach over this
[/QUOTE
Jeep has owned the market for so long I doubt they would even notice it had occured.

Thatā€™s why they donā€™t bother to improve (though if you look at the PDF above it seems every FCA vehicle suffers from this issue including Challengers.)
Don't under estimate Ford their working with aftermarket suppliers at the moment to compete with Jeep .

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How has that held up in preventing corrosion?
My JLUR was originally coated with a product called WAXOIL which also spread between the panels and the hinges. It is a water repellent product. But having had a JKU with rusting hinges, regularly with each wash I spray WD40 in this place and my JL have no bubbles. Chance or luck ?? I will say back to you in time. (My wrangler was manufactured in July 2018) A detail that may have its importance, on the Youtube film of the manufacture of the JT Gladiator, the hinges are black before painting ... not the Wranglers

Last edited:

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WD40 is a water repellent rust remover that seeps into rusted assemblies by capillary action, it has no difficulty passing between the two elements and staying there. What prevents (in my opinion) the water to stay. Do not hesitate to put a lot of it and often.
How do you get wd40 or waxoil between the hinge and door panel? The paint has sealed that area closed. Are you breaking the paint seal?
WD40 is a water repellent rust remover that seeps into rusted assemblies by capillary action, it has no difficulty passing between the two elements and staying there. What prevents (in my opinion) the water to stay. Do not hesitate to put a lot of it and often. Some JEEPER friends who own JL don't have bubbles. It was the JK experience that taught us ... those who do not have bubbles
Sponsored