Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Jeep should of never shipped it like that poor QC !
Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Joe(manager)and Eric from planet dodge are especially horrible and useless peoplešŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll never go back there
Thanks for the tip, I will avoid them at all costs.

Arrigo W Palm took care of the first repair and actually did a decent job with the paint. However, the corrosion returned. I just made my appointment for Monday and it appears they no longer have their own body shop. Hopefully, the place they outsource their work to does a better job with the repair.

As much as I love my jeep, I just can't keep dealing with this corrosion issue or the impact it's having on the resale value of my Jeep -especially if it's still occurring after the warranty expires. I may have to look at other options. After seeing the issues with my Wrangler, my wife is also thinking of leaving the Jeep family. She had planned on passing down her Cherokee to my daughter, and getting a new Grand Cherokee Altitude.

Does anyone know, are these corrosion repairs being covered by only the 3/36k Bumper to Bumper warranty, or also the 5/60K Corrosion warranty. I ask because the Corrosion warranty mentions covering corrosion only if it perforates a body panel. Also, because these are potentially ongoing issues involving a pre-existing corrosion claim, does our coverage extend beyond the normal warranty term?

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
Does anyone know, are these corrosion repairs being covered by only the 3/36k Bumper to Bumper warranty, or also the 5/60K Corrosion warranty.
Redneckā€”when I was on the phone with Chrysler during repaint #3 last year (sadly, it won't be the last) they extended a "special" promise to me that for as long as I owned the car as the original owner, they would "take care of me". Now... I think we all pretty much know that doesn't mean a whole lot. Before my warranty expires this summer, I'm going to see if I can get all that "specialness" in writing. I'm pretty doubtful that will happen, but I did go through Jeep Cares who eventually forwarded me on to Chrysler Corporate for this hinge fiasco. You may want to open a case if you haven't already.

If my memory serves, way back on the history of this thread I seem to recall discussions about rust-through only for the 5/60 warranty.

No more body shop at Arrigo? This just keeps getting better and better for us, doesn't it?

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges HINGE

Discovered the other day. Driver side top hinge. I'll probably ignore it for now, don't want the dealer making it worse. 2018 JLR

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Joe(manager)and Eric from planet dodge are especially horrible and useless peoplešŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll never go back there
I wouldn't let them off the hook that easy .I'd make them make it right ! I'd be on the phone with jeep and contacting the BBB better Business Bureau . They wouldn't like my daily reviews either .

Turbo1974

First Name
K&R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
are you doing this to all the doors, hood and tailgate hinges? I have a January 21 build and really worry this will affect mine if left unattended.

My Jeep is due for delivery any day. I bought all new hinges from quadratec and primed and painted them black. Also bought new bolts and painted the heads. Iā€™ll be installing these new ones ASAP when I get the Jeep. I applied 3M PPF on the backs of the hinges, and will be using fluid film on the bare metal on the doors underneath the hinge. I decided to do that rather than paint the bare metal on the doors, since I donā€™t have experience or the facility to correctly decon and paint bare aluminum. Fluid film is great at preventing corrosion.

not sure if thatā€™s the best way to do it, but I havenā€™t seen anyone else to attempt To fix the issue on the jl yet so I figured itā€™s worth a shot

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
are you doing this to all the doors, hood and tailgate hinges? I have a January 21 build and really worry this will affect mine if left unattended.
Yes I am! Gunna start either tonight or tomorrow, Iā€™ll take lots of pics along the way

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
i donā€™t have the problem on my 2020....yet. Is there an effective long term fix? Itā€™s one thing to have a problem...but a much bigger issue if there is not a good fix. It seems like most of the corrosion starts with the unpainted surfaces.... I hate to break the paint on my hinge bolts...but I also want to be proactive is preventing a bigger issue later. This is getting crazy...I already need to pot the electronic locker diodes so I donā€™t need to replace axles out of warranty and it seems I also need to figure out a corrosion prevention plan for my paint. Come on FCA....youā€™re setting the bar pretty low for the new Bronco.

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i donā€™t have the problem on my 2020....yet. Is there an effective long term fix? Itā€™s one thing to have a problem...but a much bigger issue if there is not a good fix. It seems like most of the corrosion starts with the unpainted surfaces.... I hate to break the paint on my hinge bolts...but I also want to be proactive is preventing a bigger issue later. This is getting crazy...I already need to pot the electronic locker diodes so I donā€™t need to replace axles out of warranty and it seems I also need to figure out a corrosion prevention plan for my paint. Come on FCA....youā€™re setting the bar pretty low for the new Bronco.
Dont worry about breaking the paint, this is a super straight forward project. Got one door done, 3 to go plus hood and tailgate
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 85D4751A-E3EF-407E-85D8-BF784ACBB4CB
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges FB426C49-3B3A-4C5E-8FB9-C6DBA1E416DC
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 37FA6373-0E60-477E-BFB8-C572893F7B4D
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges EA2F3A28-D724-4994-B9E8-BAE7265B39CE
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 3EC06A37-2AC4-4BB8-B336-85BAF5AF64B6

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Don't really have much to add here other than to reiterate to people this is not a maintenance issue. I have a White 2020 JLUR with 9500 miles on it. Heated Garage, washed once or sometimes twice a week. Ceramic coated first week of ownership. I use a ceramic detailer spray on wax / recharge once a month. I also use an Adams Air Canon after I wash to get all the water out of the nooks and crannies. That said - 6 months ago I had one small spot under the rear driver side door, probably about the size of a pea. Now its 3 times as big and I have bubbling on 5 of my 8 door hinges.

I enjoy my jeep (my first one) and I love off-roading and hitting the trails with friends but I also really enjoy cleaning and detailing my cars, my jeep included. I can wash indoors (drains and hot / cold running water in my garage) and I enjoy my garage time (music on and beer close by).

All that said I sick over this issue. I know every dealer and every owner will deal with this in there own way. This will not bother some and will totally freak out others. Im not trying to troll here, you can look at my many responses and several treads that I started on here to see I enjoy my Jeep and the people who it has brought me in touch with. Truly a great community of people.

THAT SAID - I'm trading in my RUBI. I had a very good lottery number and 2 weeks ago ordered my 2021 Bronco Badlands. It should be here end of MAY. Sorry guys (and girls).

I already know people will point to FORD paint problems as well but I have a 2017 Ford Raptor with 30k miles on it and ZERO issues with it (paint or otherwise). My wife has a 2015 Ford Edge with 75k miles on it and the paint is perfect. Ill take my chances.

Again - this is not intended to promote Ford and diss other Jeep owners - its just one off-road enthusiasts opinion. I wish everybody good luck with there Jeeps and getting this issue resolved.

PS - I just wanted to add. I have never sold a 1 year old vehicle. I always keep my cars and trucks to about 80k or 90k miles. This is not an easy decision and I am sure will cost me some money but Jeeps do hold there values pretty well so we shall see.

Last edited:

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Dont worry about breaking the paint, this is a super straight forward project. Got one door done, 3 to go plus hood and tailgate
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 3EC06A37-2AC4-4BB8-B336-85BAF5AF64B6
If you have the time when you get this done I would appreciate a new thread with procedure and specific materials and parts used. I actually really like the look of the black hinges on the Sting-Gray. And as luck would have it that is my color.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
If you have the time when you get this done I would appreciate a new thread with procedure and specific materials and parts used. I actually really like the look of the black hinges on the Sting-Gray. And as luck would have it that is my color.
Will do, thanks for the idea. I finished the doors so far today, next Iā€™m doing hood hinges. Iā€™m reusing the tailgate hinges only cause theyā€™re $100 each for new ones... so Iā€™ll just be taking them off, sanding and cleaning the bare metal, then fluid film. Itā€™s amazing how much white corrosion residue is already on my one month old jeep

Iā€™ll take some better pics then, but hereā€™s the finished doors. I do like the look much better than I thought I would
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F3F388CE-F788-452B-B724-AE1E8078BC56

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Will do, thanks for the idea. I finished the doors so far today, next Iā€™m doing hood hinges. Iā€™m reusing the tailgate hinges only cause theyā€™re $100 each for new ones... so Iā€™ll just be taking them off, sanding and cleaning the bare metal, then fluid film. Itā€™s amazing how much white corrosion residue is already on my one month old jeep

Iā€™ll take some better pics then, but hereā€™s the finished doors. I do like the look much better than I thought I would
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges F3F388CE-F788-452B-B724-AE1E8078BC56
Iā€™m curious why you are using fluid film under your hinges rather than an epoxy paint on the bare metal. Fluid film is good but Iā€™m not sure itā€™s permanent.

Regardless, Iā€™m quite sure FCA will deny you paint warranty around the hinges if bubbles pop up later....since youā€™ve ā€œtamperedā€ with the finish....

The black hinges look great!
Sponsored