Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Poor paint prep, and bad design. You don't attach aluminum with ferrous metals, unless you do a good job isolating the two, with some barrier.
Poor paint prep is the problem . When there's bubbling along the bottom edge of the hood or door that is a paint prep issue the surface is not clean same as around the door hinges .
Sponsored

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
I wrote above that I may skip the whole corrosion repair process. My dealer sends it to a private paint shop company. I spoke with that manager who says that they do prime under the hinges, have been doing this for years on several makes and models, and can't recall any coming back for repeat corrosion. Also very little paint color matching issues unless it is an older car. Since I am keeping my Jeep for the long haul I have decided to go ahead and let them repaint all 5 panels, hopefully that will last at least longer than the factory job.

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges remove-jl-tailgate-hinge
Found this pic on another forum wtf
Also interesting the process that chevy does for there 1500 Silverado which also have aluminum ta legate hood and doors calledE-Coat look it up I doubt Jeep does that

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
Hello all, I have a Jeep on order...(December 29th) and I've been reading through everything for first a time Jeep owner and of course this issue came up. Not like this will impact my purchase as I took my 4runner everywhere and pinstriped the hell out of it so I know I'll contribute to exterior paint issues. I'm getting it for the experience it provides not the finish but would like to keep corrosion at a minimum, I read to page 22 of this thread and all I saw where issues and others pretty much saying SUCK IT UP BUTERCUP, either way is there something as the owner you are able to do to help remedy this as much as possible from day one since it hasn't stated the build process? If someone know of hand where there's some advice would you please point me in the right direction(pg#), give a brief summary or just tell me to suck it up buttercup? Thanks in advance!

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Hello all, I have a Jeep on order...(December 29th) and I've been reading through everything for first a time Jeep owner and of course this issue came up. Not like this will impact my purchase as I took my 4runner everywhere and pinstriped the hell out of it so I know I'll contribute to exterior paint issues. I'm getting it for the experience it provides not the finish but would like to keep corrosion at a minimum, I read to page 22 of this thread and all I saw where issues and others pretty much saying SUCK IT UP BUTERCUP, either way is there something as the owner you are able to do to help remedy this as much as possible from day one since it hasn't stated the build process? If someone know of hand where there's some advice would you please point me in the right direction(pg#), give a brief summary or just tell me to suck it up buttercup? Thanks in advance!
Keep it away from road salt

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it away from road salt
Doubt it will make a difference. I'm in FL (no road salt here) and mine is garage kept out of the rain and waxed often. I had my first corrosion show up at 1 yr of ownership, and It re-appeared a few months after the repair. It is also now appearing on the opposite door. So, my Jeep is heading back to the dealer body shop Monday. Honestly, it seems like it's going to be an annual process. I suppose if there is an upside, it's that I don't have to worry so much about trail pin striping because the doors keep getting repainted.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
My Jeep is due for delivery any day. I bought all new hinges from quadratec and primed and painted them black. Also bought new bolts and painted the heads. Iā€™ll be installing these new ones ASAP when I get the Jeep. I applied 3M PPF on the backs of the hinges, and will be using fluid film on the bare metal on the doors underneath the hinge. I decided to do that rather than paint the bare metal on the doors, since I donā€™t have experience or the facility to correctly decon and paint bare aluminum. Fluid film is great at preventing corrosion.

not sure if thatā€™s the best way to do it, but I havenā€™t seen anyone else to attempt To fix the issue on the jl yet so I figured itā€™s worth a shot

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My Jeep is due for delivery any day. I bought all new hinges from quadratec and primed and painted them black. Also bought new bolts and painted the heads. Iā€™ll be installing these new ones ASAP when I get the Jeep. I applied 3M PPF on the backs of the hinges, and will be using fluid film on the bare metal on the doors underneath the hinge. I decided to do that rather than paint the bare metal on the doors, since I donā€™t have experience or the facility to correctly decon and paint bare aluminum. Fluid film is great at preventing corrosion.

not sure if thatā€™s the best way to do it, but I havenā€™t seen anyone else to attempt To fix the issue on the jl yet so I figured itā€™s worth a shot
Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Homebrwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL sahara
Build Thread
Link
I guess I need to bring mine in. I am afraid the dealer will screw things up more than they are. The dark color is dirt.
Jeep just doesn't give a crap. Sad
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 20210311_181355_HDR

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I guess I need to bring mine in. I am afraid the dealer will screw things up more than they are. The dark color is dirt.
Sorry to see that.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
What year is your Jeep ?

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Are all JLs effected by this or only some?
I never got this on my Jk but I know a lot of people had issues with it

anything we can do to prevent it before it pops up?

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I got my Jeep back from the dealer after they tried to fix the rust issue. Exactly like I expected they did a horrendous job. They broke the latches of the removable hard top, broke the engine liner, there were 50% missing plastic clips from liners they needed to remove, they painted over labels/stickers (main VIN label from door, another one from driver door, and another one from the inside of the hood), I am not even sure at this point how they will replace the VIN label?; the paint job was mediocre to say the least, missing/dripping paint, missing clear coat, they damaged one weather strip from the hard top, driver door was also misaligned; they couldnā€™t really match the paint, and also left some of the chemical weld (or whatever this is) soft and of course that it messing up the paint integrity. On top of that, the car was delivered to me dirty on the inside (I guess they could have cleaned it decently). I took the advantage of requesting a multimedia unit replacement since the car was going to be at the shop for a few days (because it was getting frozen) and when I got the car back the supposedly new unit was freezing also (unbelievable). They took 3 weeks to complete this mess. I guess I should be grateful they gave me a minivan as a rental to go off roading instead of a Jeep. This was a dealer in Miami, FL (Planet Dodge). At this point I would be soooo happy if FCA buys the Jeep back! I am not buying any FCA product EVER again. They act like they are doing you a favor, of course that is only after you buy a $50k crappy vehicle and basically are stock with it. I donā€™t know who should I direct my concerns to besides alerting people on this forum. I am sure Jeep Cares is going to reply something like ā€œwe are very sorry about your experience, contact us privately to see how we can helpā€ and that is going to be the end of the story. Weā€™ll see. Keep you guys posted.
Joe(manager)and Eric from planet dodge are especially horrible and useless peoplešŸ˜‚ Iā€™ll never go back there

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
just picked up my jl today, this is a pic of the windshield hinge. Do you think this is corrosion or an imperfection in the paint? Itā€™s raised/textured that I can feel
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges E04B131E-1CEC-45DD-AEA1-11F0B642673D
Sponsored