Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
So the first go around. They stripped at painted everything separate. Then installed the torx bots and you can just about imagine how that looked with touch up paint after the install.

I sent it back and said take it apart, paint the doors, then install the latches and new bolts, then paint and clear again. From what I can see they painted the 3M primer or whatever material per the TSB under the hinge. Then painted the hinge and bolts together installed on the doors. It ended up being all 5 doors and the hood.

On the rental JL I had, which was a 2020, it looked like the paint was not able to get behind the original hinge? There were spots were it was missing. It was cleared, however the spray was not as complete as what I have now from the factory.

On another note. It sounds like Jeep will be reimbursing my payments for the time it was in the shop, as well as paying to reapply the ceramic coating I had done locally.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.58.36 PM.png
61913299724__84206462-9FC8-4C49-996B-05E5836479B1.JPG
Wow you're pretty lucky. Hopefully that paint will actually seal and you'll be good to go. I honestly just cant wait for my lease to be up..... Im thinking I will just go back to a YJ or a TJ after this one
Sponsored

mike49107

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So the first go around. They stripped at painted everything separate. Then installed the torx bots and you can just about imagine how that looked with touch up paint after the install.

I sent it back and said take it apart, paint the doors, then install the latches and new bolts, then paint and clear again. From what I can see they painted the 3M primer or whatever material per the TSB under the hinge. Then painted the hinge and bolts together installed on the doors. It ended up being all 5 doors and the hood.

On the rental JL I had, which was a 2020, it looked like the paint was not able to get behind the original hinge? There were spots were it was missing. It was cleared, however the spray was not as complete as what I have now from the factory.

On another note. It sounds like Jeep will be reimbursing my payments for the time it was in the shop, as well as paying to reapply the ceramic coating I had done locally.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.58.36 PM.png
61913299724__84206462-9FC8-4C49-996B-05E5836479B1.JPG
If only I had this kind of luck...:headbang: I'm still trying to find a dealer that I would trust enough to even check the tire pressure.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Bubbled up paint at or around all my door hinges as well. I bought my JLUR in 2018 and have since put on ~27k miles.....so this is quite the unexpected 'feature.' I'm not even going to bother trying to bring this into the dealership for any type of work, those idiots (from management down to the guys on the wrench) have no clue. Too much miscommunication, lack of listening to the customer, and $$$ drives their thought process...which ultimately leads to a customer going for a long ride of wasted time.

I have to say, between purchasing the JLUR up until now, I've had a myriad of issues ranging from: dead alternator, an ECM recall, the oh so awesome steering damper recall (which the dealer installed improperly on first attempt), what seems to be a brittle windshield, mass corrosion of all frame welds, alignment out, and the above paint issue.

I can honestly say I likely won't grab another Jeep following this one.

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
I posted I had the same problem on my 2018 JLUR. The dealership finally got around to scheduling me to get in the body shop. Covered under warranty. My opinion is that the problem is dissimilar metals. The hinges are steel (to my knowledge) and the doors are aluminum. I’m surprised they don’t have some sort of insulator between them.

I’ll post the results when they’re done.
Ray

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
I posted I had the same problem on my 2018 JLUR. The dealership finally got around to scheduling me to get in the body shop. Covered under warranty. My opinion is that the problem is dissimilar metals. The hinges are steel (to my knowledge) and the doors are aluminum. I’m surprised they don’t have some sort of insulator between them.

I’ll post the results when they’re done.
Ray
The hinges are Aluminium as well. The issue is they paint everything after it is assembled like a normal vehicle and not one with exposed door hinges. No paint can actually get behind the hinges, which means every surface under a hinge or say the under body itself are bare primer. this causes moisture to get in between the paint and the surface of the doors which causes the corrosion. The simple solution from the factory would be to paint the panels sepirate and than assemble, unfortunately that is additional steps and time for the manufacturing process and that wont fly so.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I am experiencing the same issue on two of my doors. I currently have my Jeep at the dealership to have the doors painted. This is starting to become an issue as seen from the multiple posts. Interested to see what Chrysler may to say in the near future.

27BDAD8C-B233-4D81-ADFB-EFA2F9012F34.jpeg

97DC8F82-9C98-4697-A201-C2BA805DB303.jpeg
Poor paint preparation is the problem .

Piledriver

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
...looks exactly like mine, same granite paint too on 2018 JL Sahara in 8 spots on/around several hinges and door corners & bottom. Bummer reading the same/similar problem from so many owners. Brought it to dealer today to start the process of submitting to FCA for approval to do the fix ... if a permanent fix can even be had, based on some reviews here! Really irritating on a $50K+ Jeep only two years old and just under 30K miles.

Last edited:

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Haha I've got those but since I'm out of the 3/36 shame on me, my fault for not reporting it earlier, after all it's not a problem if you don't report on it, it simply doesn't exist until then.

Rubi VT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Haha I've got those but since I'm out of the 3/36 shame on me, my fault for not reporting it earlier, after all it's not a problem if you don't report on it, it simply doesn't exist until then.
External Paint is covered for 5yrs - seriously do a little home work - its worth it !!

Jeeps website

How Long It Lasts
This warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E).
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
  • For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
  • For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

tsexton105

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
Hi All. New here. I found bubbling on (and around) nearly every hinge on my car (13k miles). it took weeks to get it in to the dealer.....as their body shop was backed up. It has been at the dealer for nearly a month, still going back and forth with FCA......work hasn't even started yet!!! So frustrating! Dealer says it's the most extensive paint repair they've ever seen.....

This seems to be a massive issue! I really hope it is fixed correctly the first time. @JeepCares this is ridiculous. Why has it taken a month......and the repairs haven't even been approved by FCA!!!

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
External Paint is covered for 5yrs - seriously do a little home work - its worth it !!

Jeeps website

How Long It Lasts
This warranty starts when your Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E).
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
  • For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
  • For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.
Woohoo thanks for correcting me!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi All. New here. I found bubbling on (and around) nearly every hinge on my car (13k miles). it took weeks to get it in to the dealer.....as their body shop was backed up. It has been at the dealer for nearly a month, still going back and forth with FCA......work hasn't even started yet!!! So frustrating! Dealer says it's the most extensive paint repair they've ever seen.....

This seems to be a massive issue! I really hope it is fixed correctly the first time. @JeepCares this is ridiculous. Why has it taken a month......and the repairs haven't even been approved by FCA!!!
That’s absolutely ridiculous, sorry to hear the run around you’re experiencing!

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

This is 100% dealer fault. Find a different dealership. Since they havent fixed it, and its, been over a month, does the Lemon Law come into play???

tsexton105

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
This is 100% dealer fault. Find a different dealership. Since they havent fixed it, and its, been over a month, does the Lemon Law come into play???
Hi @DaltonGang - Minnesota Lemon Law are not entirely clear, but I am writing to the state attorney general. Still nothing from Jeep, nor @JeepCares, @Jeep . It's been 30 days today since the dealer took my car. Repairs still not approved.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Hi @DaltonGang - Minnesota Lemon Law are not entirely clear, but I am writing to the state attorney general. Still nothing from Jeep, nor @JeepCares, @Jeep . It's been 30 days today since the dealer took my car. Repairs still not approved.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
What dealership in MN did you go through
Sponsored