Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Add me to the corrosion squad. While waxing my Jeep the other day i noticed some bubbling above the top hinge on my drivers door. Went to investigate the other and i have some on the driver lower. The upper swing gate. The passenger hood and under the front lip on the hood itself. All of which are on the panel itself and not the hinges. If it were the hinges fine, just buy new hinges and call it a day. Being under the surface of all the aluminium body panels..... Not good. I literally just got this thing back after it being gone for 7 weeks for the clutch recall. I am NOT going to try and get this fixed. I will have them make note of it and start a case with FCA so that when my lease is over and I walk away, I cant be to blame for it. If it had been damaged on a trail fine, but that isn't the case. I know aluminium is a difficult metal to paint but not impossible. This just sucks. 20 months and 22,000 miles and its going to crap.
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's crazy is the places i have rock chips through to the metal aren't affected. Only the places they didn't deal properly at the factory. I feel if they had painted the panels separate and than assembled them, we wouldn't have this issue. That and used a good quality epoxy primer.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I know I've already replied in this thread but I'll do it again. This was a problem since the TJ's. I had a 2014 JKUR with bubbling door hinges. And I'm sure I my 2020 JL will do it eventually too. Ya'll need to get over thinking that FCA is going to acknowledge a design flaw that has been around for 25 years.
There are, sadly, a number of others they haven't bothered to address, either, despite having gone through two complete redesigns since the TJ.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I've already replied in this thread but I'll do it again. This was a problem since the TJ's. I had a 2014 JKUR with bubbling door hinges. And I'm sure I my 2020 JL will do it eventually too. Ya'll need to get over thinking that FCA is going to acknowledge a design flaw that has been around for 25 years.
Well no. The issues on the JK were isolated only to the hinges themselves. The issues we are having now are on the actual panels, under the paint. I had a 94 before this and the paint was amazing, aside from the top of hoods clear coat baking off. I know FCA will not fix it. I just want them to make note so when i get rid of the lease i am not held accountable.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Add me to the corrosion squad. While waxing my Jeep the other day i noticed some bubbling above the top hinge on my drivers door. Went to investigate the other and i have some on the driver lower. The upper swing gate. The passenger hood and under the front lip on the hood itself. All of which are on the panel itself and not the hinges. If it were the hinges fine, just buy new hinges and call it a day. Being under the surface of all the aluminium body panels..... Not good. I literally just got this thing back after it being gone for 7 weeks for the clutch recall. I am NOT going to try and get this fixed. I will have them make note of it and start a case with FCA so that when my lease is over and I walk away, I cant be to blame for it. If it had been damaged on a trail fine, but that isn't the case. I know aluminium is a difficult metal to paint but not impossible. This just sucks. 20 months and 22,000 miles and its going to crap.
Totally agree. If it were the hinges, like the JK’s....it’s an easy fix!
FCA did try to address this by prepping it differently....but unfortunately they have managed to spread the problem away from the hinges and now to the surrounding area on the door.
JK’s as you said was a much easier fix. Hinges were easy to replace.

Now it’s the issue of the dealers shops not doing a good enough job in fixing this (and sometimes making a bigger mess of things cosmetic wise) ...and if they do....most seems to have had it reoccur shortly after.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree. If it were the hinges, like the JK’s....it’s an easy fix!
FCA did try to address this by prepping it differently....but unfortunately they have managed to spread the problem away from the hinges and now to the surrounding area on the door.
JK’s as you said was a much easier fix. Hinges were easy to replace.

Now it’s the issue of the dealers shops not doing a good enough job in fixing this (and sometimes making a bigger mess of things cosmetic wise) ...and if they do....most seems to have had it reoccur shortly after.
Exactly. This is why im just going to have the issues documented and not go any further. I doubt any fix will be permanent and i cant have this thing down for another week.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I only read through the first 13 pages of WTF on this thread, so someone let me know if it has been mentioned, but what about a class action lawsuit? I think because basically every jeep is effected by this, it is a viable case. Thoughts?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I only read through the first 13 pages of WTF on this thread, so someone let me know if it has been mentioned, but what about a class action lawsuit? I think because basically every jeep is effected by this, it is a viable case. Thoughts?
Good luck. Seems like Jeep is fixing as owners insist. Nothing to sue for unless you incur damage or loss. And what do you think your settlement would amount to?

medical CA get more traction, bubbling paint.....not so much.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Good luck. Seems like Jeep is fixing as owners insist. Nothing to sue for unless you incur damage or loss. And what do you think your settlement would amount to?

I would hope along the lines of extended coverage for corrosion mor thinking in the future for when our 5 years expires

Sponsored

Jonlilie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruibcon & 2013 JKU Rubicon

Third time is a charm. The body shop finally ordered new bolts. The hinges were stripped and the doors were painted under the hinges. Hinges were hung with the new bolts and replayed. All in all, I am very pleased with the work. It took a lot of back and forth with the dealership as well as working with Jeep Customer Care however I feel good for the time being. Next phase is attacking the rust on the welds.... can't wait.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Third time is a charm. The body shop finally ordered new bolts. The hinges were stripped and the doors were painted under the hinges. Hinges were hung with the new bolts and replayed. All in all, I am very pleased with the work. It took a lot of back and forth with the dealership as well as working with Jeep Customer Care however I feel good for the time being. Next phase is attacking the rust on the welds.... can't wait.
Nice, just curious, how many panels were done? Did they strip the paint off the doors as well as hinges?

Jonlilie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruibcon & 2013 JKU Rubicon
Nice, just curious, how many panels were done? Did they strip the paint off the doors as well as hinges?
So the first go around. They stripped at painted everything separate. Then installed the torx bots and you can just about imagine how that looked with touch up paint after the install.

I sent it back and said take it apart, paint the doors, then install the latches and new bolts, then paint and clear again. From what I can see they painted the 3M primer or whatever material per the TSB under the hinge. Then painted the hinge and bolts together installed on the doors. It ended up being all 5 doors and the hood.

On the rental JL I had, which was a 2020, it looked like the paint was not able to get behind the original hinge? There were spots were it was missing. It was cleared, however the spray was not as complete as what I have now from the factory.

On another note. It sounds like Jeep will be reimbursing my payments for the time it was in the shop, as well as paying to reapply the ceramic coating I had done locally.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 1.58.36 PM
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 61913299724__84206462-9FC8-4C49-996B-05E5836479B1.JPG
Sponsored