Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ahhh.... The internet.
A world of information at your fingertips. Not like the old days, of looking things up in the library. I bet almost everyone under 30 yrs old have no idea what the Dewey Decimal System is. If you were wealthy, you had a set of Encyclopedias that were less than 10 yrs old.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I have a degree in Biology, with a minor in Chemistry. So, you know where you can stick it!
When people say things like this, I find it difficult to take them seriously. Consider your audience. You’re speaking to owners, enthusiasts and prospective buyers who you don’t know.

While you and anyone else has a right to be angry, the anger is misguided and misdirected: none of us had any part in Jeep’s design or engineering process. Screaming at people who share a common interest without warrant isn’t a good way to earn friends or influence people.

Products corrode as materials age. That’s life. If your Jeep is corroding prematurely, you’ve identified the problem now find a valid solution. Warranties exist for this purpose. If you’re experiencing this problem, maybe it’s time to use yours?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When people say things like this, I find it difficult to take them seriously. Consider your audience. You’re speaking to owners, enthusiasts and prospective buyers who you don’t know.

While you and anyone else has a right to be angry, the anger is misguided and misdirected: none of us had any part in Jeep’s design or engineering process. Screaming at people who share a common interest without warrant isn’t a good way to earn friends or influence people.

Products corrode as materials age. That’s life. If your Jeep is corroding prematurely, you’ve identified the problem now find a valid solution. Warranties exist for this purpose. If you’re experiencing this problem, maybe it’s time to use yours?
No, I just took your original post as an insult, directed at me. Especially after unwarranted attacks on this thread by @nerubi , who conveniently had his posts erased. If I read it wrong, I apologize.
As for using my warranty, I will, soon enough. I just found the corrosion the other day.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
No, I just took your original post as an insult, directed at me...If I read it wrong, I apologize. As for using my warranty, I will, soon enough. I just found the corrosion the other day.
Put your mind at ease. My original post was in no way directed towards you and neither was any malice intended. I can always appreciate a different perspective and even welcome a difference of opinion so long as it’s kept respectful.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Put your mind at ease. My original post was in no way directed towards you and neither was any malice intended. I can always appreciate a different perspective and even welcome a difference of opinion so long as it’s kept respectful.
Thank you.
I feel the same.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
ZIEBART for this problem? Think again.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Thank you for the warning. We owners are so very different species. This is the last issue that would bother me. Some little tiny almost microscopic paint bubble by the hinge that under normal circumstances one never notices .

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sacrificial zinc anodes are the answer.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the warning. We owners are so very different species. This is the last issue that would bother me. Some little tiny almost microscopic paint bubble by the hinge that under normal circumstances one never notices .
I wish it were microscopic. The one that I have is about 1/2 x 1/4 inch. Many here are much larger.

Sponsored

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Have a link? Also where would you put them?
I don't, but I was in the Coast Guard and we had many aluminum boats and ships. It is very common to have a zinc anode on anything aluminum, especially in salt water. The zinc gives off it's electrons more easily, thus sacrificing itself for the sake of the aluminum. The issue is the doors and hinges are bolted together with steel fasteners before paint. There is a solid metal to metal interface between them. The different metals create an electrolytic reaction and the aluminum corrodes, sacrificing itself for the steel. The solution is to paint the door hinges and door skins before bolting them together. The paint should create enough of a barrier that this is no longer an issue. Same for the hood. All that said, the best course of action is to find an out of the way, obscure location, remove the paint to bare metal and bolt on some zincs.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
On every door, and the hood??
Or, just one, mounted elsewhere.
They should be bolted to the aluminum. That said, each bolt could be backed out, the bare surface coated (with paint if you like I guess) and the bolt replaced after it had dried. Another option that may not be feasible is a rubber washer to isolate the steel fastener from the aluminum bits.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't, but I was in the Coast Guard and we had many aluminum boats and ships. It is very common to have a zinc anode on anything aluminum, especially in salt water. The zinc gives off it's electrons more easily, thus sacrificing itself for the sake of the aluminum. The issue is the doors and hinges are bolted together with steel fasteners before paint. There is a solid metal to metal interface between them. The different metals create an electrolytic reaction and the aluminum corrodes, sacrificing itself for the steel. The solution is to paint the door hinges and door skins before bolting them together. The paint should create enough of a barrier that this is no longer an issue. Same for the hood. All that said, the best course of action is to find an out of the way, obscure location, remove the paint to bare metal and bolt on some zincs.
Thank you.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
They should be bolted to the aluminum. That said, each bolt could be backed out, the bare surface coated (with paint if you like I guess) and the bolt replaced after it had dried. Another option that may not be feasible is a rubber washer to isolate the steel fastener from the aluminum bits.
I guess -is the issue they cannot figure out a way to paint the bolts before putting it all together? - because the paint would strip (off the bolts and maybe even off where the bolts sets) if they tried to screw on visually exposed painted bolts - so, therefore, they put it together first then paint it all?
Sponsored