Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't, but I was in the Coast Guard and we had many aluminum boats and ships. It is very common to have a zinc anode on anything aluminum, especially in salt water. The zinc gives off it's electrons more easily, thus sacrificing itself for the sake of the aluminum. The issue is the doors and hinges are bolted together with steel fasteners before paint. There is a solid metal to metal interface between them. The different metals create an electrolytic reaction and the aluminum corrodes, sacrificing itself for the steel. The solution is to paint the door hinges and door skins before bolting them together. The paint should create enough of a barrier that this is no longer an issue. Same for the hood. All that said, the best course of action is to find an out of the way, obscure location, remove the paint to bare metal and bolt on some zincs.
Also what about attaching something to the inside of the door by taking off the interior door panels? Or does it need to have contact to the outside surface?
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Also what about attaching something to the inside of the door by taking off the interior door panels? Or does it need to have contact to the outside surface?
It could be inside the doors, but that would make servicing the anodes a pain. Regarding the painted bolts and such, they could have maybe coated the bolts before assembly and then painted them. I don't know, but they could have referenced the marine industry to mitigate the corrosion. I don't think they thought too much about it.

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It could be inside the doors, but that would make servicing the anodes a pain. Regarding the painted bolts and such, they could have maybe coated the bolts before assembly and then painted them. I don't know, but they could have referenced the marine industry to mitigate the corrosion. I don't think they thought too much about it.
Yep - sorta seems like the (lack of) plan was just - slap it all together then spray it all with paint...

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
The main issue is the plate the hinge bolts screw into is steel and it is attached to the aluminum skin. Many manufacturers use steel and aluminum but FCA is BY FAR the worst when it comes to cross contamination. The F-150 has virtually no corrosion issues.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

No permanent fix will come about until the number of claims and warranty costs becomes too high, or it's deemed a safety defect and the various safety regulators get involved. Until then the repainting will simply be a CDB. Mid production changes might make it into the line, but that won't help all the units in customer's hands.

Sponsored

JayEl

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon Unlimited
You here again rubbing your nose in ppls issues with their JL’s calling them out when you don’t have this issue on your JL?
Seriously do you really have nothing better to do? You add zero insight into the matter except everyone who has the issue should accept it and do absolutely nothing.
Than ramble on about things from the past! Yea read about the helicopters...if my JL could fly I’d probably let the bubbling paint slide!! And aluminum corrosion and challenges involved? Seems other manufacturers are “UP” for the challenge.

“I expect my cars to never run out if gas, never need oil changed, never have the tires wear out, never have the windshield break” (How is this remotely the same???)

As the last time. We spoke about this, it isn’t 50 years ago when vehicles also had no clear coat or when tv’s were black and white. So if you bought a brand new house today and the bricks started to fall off within a year..would you accept it and say we’ll children you see once upon a time houses were made of sticks and clay ? Again what does any of this have to do with this issue?

Just because things were once “this way” so what? things evolve. Yes thank you again...jeep is made of aluminum, and once again...I’ve owned quite a few aluminum vehicles and NEVER have I had this problem. Not in the 11...7...and 4yrs of life span those vehicles had under my watch.

Maybe because they have better QC maybe they once did where they began and figured out how to properly repair the problem....probably because us guinea pigs complained and didn’t make excuses for it! Not sure maybe you got your Jeep for free??....or maybe you got so much cash and cars it doesn’t matter....but again telling ppl to “suck it up” on their hard earned money doesn’t add anything productive to the matter and again easy for you to say, for someone who doesn’t have this occurring to their vehicle!

maybe instead of making excuses for the a vehicle corroding in its first year we should probably NOT accept it. we’ll be better off and they...like other car manufacturers can improve there quality on this so the rest of us who have said issue....and there’s many! Can have it repaired problerly and our future Jeeps and many others who will join the community don’t have to deal with corrosion issues on 50-60k jeeps going forward.

But hey you don’t have this issue (as you mentioned) but hey keep rubbing your nose in the matter calling ppl out for an issue you have not encountered. Again, do you work for Jeep? It’s an honest question? Cuz it’s really the only answer there must be for you defending a defect in a product. As of now I’m leaving mine and living with it and enjoying my Jeep. I’ll “document it with the dealer” and for now and keep on truckin. At the end of the day though much like myself, my dealer and most ppl who spend there hard earned money on something won’t accept corrosion on a brand new car/truck/suv early on, not from yrs of the elements....but in a manufacturing defect! Not a buyer defect!
He's not worth expending the energy on. Troll's need to be ignored otherwise all you're doing is feeding his ignorance

vertbois

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
[QUOTE = "GraniteJLU, message: 750599, membre: 20901"]
Lavé la jeep pendant le week-end et remarqué de petites bulles dans la peinture à l'une des charnières de la porte arrière. Je suis plus d'un an et j'ai environ 27k miles.Ils sont durs en dessous et la peinture n'est pas lâche et à peu près sûr qu'ils n'étaient pas là la dernière fois que j'ai lavé le véhicule. Il ne peut pas y avoir de rouille sous la peinture car les portes sont en aluminium. Toutes les autres charnières vont bien. Quelqu'un a-t-il déjà vu ce problème?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg

[/CITATION]

IMG_9725.jpg

IMG_9728.jpg

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Basic Warranty
A. What’s Covered at No Cost to You
The Basic Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any defective item on your vehicle that was supplied by Chrysler Motors — that is, defective in material, workmanship, or factory preparation. There is no list of covered parts since the only exception is tires. You pay nothing for these repairs. These warranty repairs or adjustments — including all parts and labor connected with them — will be made by your dealer at no charge, using new or remanufactured parts.

2.2 Corrosion Warranty
A. Description of Coverage
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal
WHAT'S COVERED
panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint — is not covered. For more details on what isn’t covered by this warranty, see 3.6.
B. How Long It Lasts
This warranty starts when your Basic Warranty begins under 2.1(D).
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
• For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
• For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can
see when walking around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

This is a WIDE SPREAD problem. It started in 2007 when jeep went to Aluminum hinges on the doors.
Yes I realize aluminum itself does not rust. This is not a "rust" problem its a problem in the way Jeep anodized its aluminum. If its not done perfectly with zero imperfections then the anodized aluminum causes oxidation under the paint, even with the absence of air and water.

Bring it in and have the service manager look at it and document it. Trust me, it won't be the first time he's seen this.

uummmm - its a jeep thing ?? :facepalm:
So even though I have 40,XXX miles it looks like the paint/body is covered to 100k miles? I need to head to a dealer then.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So even though I have 40,XXX miles it looks like the paint/body is covered to 100k miles? I need to head to a dealer then.
Let us know what the dealership says.

Jonlilie

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ruibcon & 2013 JKU Rubicon
Well this is my first post.

I have this problem on all 5 doors of my 2018 JL in addition to the hood. The dealership sent my JL out for a respray of all 6 pieces, however it was returned with clear coat issues and sloppy touched up torx bolts. It literally looked like someone took brush and just swirled it around in the bolt. When the general manager asked me how they were expected to align the doors without scratching the bolt paint, he seemed perplexed by me explaining to him the new hinges and bolts should have been adjusted and prepped prior to the spray and clear. As it sits, I know for a fact they were not all replaced because the bubbling on 2 of the hinges was missed.

I received a call today, letting me know they received the jeep back for a second time and would be sending it to the auto body shop for a third time.

I have expressed my frustrations, it seems like there is a clear disconnect between how this should be handled and what is actually happening at the auto body shop.

Has anyone else experienced this? What steps did you take to make sure everything was done correctly?

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I know I've already replied in this thread but I'll do it again. This was a problem since the TJ's. I had a 2014 JKUR with bubbling door hinges. And I'm sure I my 2020 JL will do it eventually too. Ya'll need to get over thinking that FCA is going to acknowledge a design flaw that has been around for 25 years.
Sponsored