Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been at the dealership for over a month now. Last issue was that all the bolts on the hinges stripped out. Hoping to pick it up today but who knows at this point.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
What you describe is likely true for normal rust.. What is happening here is galvanic corrosion, a different animal. Jeep could prevent this from initially happening by ensuring the aluminum and steel parts don't come in contact through proper priming and coating of the metals before mating them together. This could also be done during the repair if Jeep included it in their repair procedure which doesn't appear to be happening. It's a problem for sure but it doesn't have to be a life long issue if the repairs are done correctly.
I noticed the one little spot on each lower driver door about 6 months ago and they haven't increased in size. It's really unnoticeable unless you kneel down to that level and look really hard. My hood, tailgate and both passenger doors are spotless. I wonder if the front doors will get worse over time? This will be a secondary/play vehicle by that time and I can address it. I don't plan on selling it.

Mine has been at the dealership for over a month now. Last issue was that all the bolts on the hinges stripped out. Hoping to pick it up today but who knows at this point.
If I understand this correctly, it was in the shop for the corrosion issue for a month and the dealership stripped your hinge bolts reattaching the doors???

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Not gonna address the truck comment lol.
Okay so is everyone’s advice just to avoid Jeeps these days? Or is this pretty rare?
I would never tell anybody not to buy a Jeep. I love my Jeep. I don't care if it might get the rusty hinges in the future. I will deal with that when and if it happens. I bought a 2022 Sahara and would not have it any other way. I am glad I got my 6-speed in 2022 because last I looked you can't get a manual on a 2023 Sahara...

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed the one little spot on each lower driver door about 6 months ago and they haven't increased in size. It's really unnoticeable unless you kneel down to that level and look really hard. My hood, tailgate and both passenger doors are spotless. I wonder if the front doors will get worse over time? This will be a secondary/play vehicle by that time and I can address it. I don't plan on selling it.

If I understand this correctly, it was in the shop for the corrosion issue for a month and the dealership stripped your hinge bolts reattaching the doors???

No supposedly during disassemble.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
No supposedly during disassemble.
Corrosion had most likely entered into the bolts, breaking down the steel threads. Hmmm...perhaps we have a safety issue here which might interest the fed?

Sponsored

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Corrosion had most likely entered into the bolts, breaking down the steel threads. Hmmm...perhaps we have a safety issue here which might interest the fed?
I wish enough people could get together to pressure Jeep into recall.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
I wish enough people could get together to pressure Jeep into recall.
I'm thinking they could put a package together for the dealer to install which would isolate the metals from each other. Ahem.. in addition to painting the metal surfaces which were left UNPAINTED. Who does something like that? :mad:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
I’m baffled how Jeep engineers allowed this direct aluminum to steel contact. The only thing that comes to mind is the bean counters in the corporate office pinching pennies.

It reminds me of a story told by a Toyota engineer regarding the factory paint job on a certain Toyota model. The paint jobs looked flawless but Toyota executives wanted to cut $1.00 from the cost of each paint job.

The objective was achieved by the engineers and the executives were pleased. The result? Toyota sold roughly 1.5 million units per year of this model and achieved a $1.5 million savings annually in the paint shop.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m baffled how Jeep engineers allowed this direct aluminum to steel contact. The only thing that comes to mind is the bean counters in the corporate office pinching pennies.

It reminds me of a story told by a Toyota engineer regarding the factory paint job on a certain Toyota model. The paint jobs looked flawless but Toyota executives wanted to cut $1.00 from the cost of each paint job.

The objective was achieved by the engineers and the executives were pleased. The result? Toyota sold roughly 1.5 million units per year of this model and achieved a $1.5 million savings in the paint shop.
Yep you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how they think...

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
May be using the same assembly line that they were before going to aluminum components. With all steel probably didn't matter. Having to change up the line to paint the individual components, then assemble, is likely a costly endeavor. Disclaimer - I don't have a clue what I'm talking about here, never saw an assembly line in my life.

Sponsored

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Took our 2018 JLU Sahara to the dealer for inspection of the bubbling paint on the doors near the hinges. They took photos to send to corporate and scheduled the repair. Bringing it in on 8/1.

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Took our 2018 JLU Sahara to the dealer for inspection of the bubbling paint on the doors near the hinges. They took photos to send to corporate and scheduled the repair. Bringing it in on 8/1.
Just curious, how many miles?

Nostromo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
Hey everyone, I'm about to install some DV8 steel hardtop brackets on a brand new hydro blue.

Is the corrosion/interaction issue only between bare steel and aluminum? Should I put a gasket between the painted rollbar areas and the powder coated steel hardtop brackets? I would imagine that because of the vehicle paint and the powder coating it's fine to install as-is and not use a gasket?

Thanks for any tips you might have on preventing any issues!

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Hey everyone, I'm about to install some DV8 steel hardtop brackets on a brand new hydro blue.

Is the corrosion/interaction issue only between bare steel and aluminum? Should I put a gasket between the painted rollbar areas and the powder coated steel hardtop brackets? I would imagine that because of the vehicle paint and the powder coating it's fine to install as-is and not use a gasket?

Thanks for any tips you might have on preventing any issues!
The painted surfaces should suffice and either way, if the panels are both steel, there isn't a problem.
Sponsored