Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
bad thing is I just bought it two weeks ago. Crazy how unnoticeable this stuff is until you’re looking for it specifically. Love every aspect of this JLU otherwise. My first car was a 97 TJ and I am overall happy to be back in a Jeep.
My first Jeep was a 98 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, Forest Green Hardtop. I miss that one, and wish I had it back.
Sponsored

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My first Jeep was a 98 TJ Sport 4.0 Manual, Forest Green Hardtop. I miss that one, and wish I had it back.
Same!! If I saw mine rolling down the street I would flag them down and offer as much as they wanted.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Same!! If I saw mine rolling down the street I would flag them down and offer as much as they wanted.
Mine was a '94 with the 4.0 and gearbox. Also forest green but with tan top.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
I'm wondering if the repair work authorized by Jeep just fixes the symptoms (the paint bubbling) or if it also addresses the root cause of the galvanic corrosion (the aluminum and steel in contact with each other). If it doesn't address the root cause it would seem that the corrosion would continue to be a problem for those "fixed" Jeeps a few years down the road.

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm wondering if the repair work authorized by Jeep just fixes the symptoms (the paint bubbling) or if it also addresses the root cause of the galvanic corrosion (the aluminum and steel in contact with each other). If it doesn't address the root cause it would seem that the corrosion would continue to be a problem for those "fixed" Jeeps a few years down the road.
Mine goes in in 3 weeks for a week of paint work. The tech service bulletin is definitely a band aid in my opinion, but what other options do we have? Im hoping they will be willing to add a step that is not in the bulletin; painting bare metal on hinge and body as well. I’m hoping by the time mine starts bubbling again that the class action lawsuit might have some traction.

Sponsored

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Okay, so I found a great used 2019 Wrangler Sahara, but it has two bubbles on the front passenger door. First, would I be eligible for TSB protection (I'm buying from a Toyota dealer); and second, should I steer clear?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183098-9999.pdf

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Okay, so I found a great used 2019 Wrangler Sahara, but it has two bubbles on the front passenger door. First, would I be eligible for TSB protection (I'm buying from a Toyota dealer); and second, should I steer clear?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183098-9999.pdf
At this point, you can suspect there will be more issues down the road, so it's totally your call. I just found the corrosion on my driver door bottom, so that's in addition to the hood and doors. 2019 Rubicon with 17K on the clock, by the way.

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this point, you can suspect there will be more issues down the road, so it's totally your call. I just found the corrosion on my driver door bottom, so that's in addition to the hood and doors. 2019 Rubicon with 17K on the clock, by the way.
Do you regret buying the truck? Man, this crushes my soul.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

Steer Clear- fixes are band-aids only. Once corrosion is there it is more likely than not it will come back. Also, it is likely it will pop up in other areas that currently appear fine. Trust me you will be chasing the problem as long as you own the vehicle.

Sponsored

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
What you describe is likely true for normal rust.. What is happening here is galvanic corrosion, a different animal. Jeep could prevent this from initially happening by ensuring the aluminum and steel parts don't come in contact through proper priming and coating of the metals before mating them together. This could also be done during the repair if Jeep included it in their repair procedure which doesn't appear to be happening. It's a problem for sure but it doesn't have to be a life long issue if the repairs are done correctly.

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Do you regret buying the truck? Man, this crushes my soul.
Mr. Wiggly, if the price was REALLY right, I would go for it and have a conversation with the body shop to ensure that all surfaces are painted where Jeep left them bare. That would be a start. Additionally, Wranglers are generally not referred to as "a truck".

Mr.Wiggly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mr. Wiggly, if the price was REALLY right, I would go for it and have a conversation with the body shop to ensure that all surfaces are painted where Jeep left them bare. That would be a start. Additionally, Wranglers are generally not referred to as "a truck".
Not gonna address the truck comment lol.
Okay so is everyone’s advice just to avoid Jeeps these days? Or is this pretty rare?

BMB

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not gonna address the truck comment lol.
Okay so is everyone’s advice just to avoid Jeeps these days? Or is this pretty rare?
While I agree with everyone that these vehicles are far far too expensive to have issues like this, being back in a Wrangler outweighs it to me. If the paint starts chipping off after a number of years, maybe it’ll be time for me to start running trail doors. Lol, Wranglers are just the most fun thing I’ve ever driven.

en480c4

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Range Rover Classic
Mine was fine a few months back when I first checked. Now both doors are bubbling at the bottom edges and lower hinges. Hood and tailgate look fine at this point, but that's not a big comfort given how quickly the doors went from fine to bubbling. 2018 JLR with 21k miles. I got a letter offering me around what I owe at a local dealer looking for used vehicles. At this point I'm inclined to let them buy it and run.
Well, I swung by the dealer yesterday. They offered my $5k less than the letter that I had received just a few weeks before. The person responsible for those letters was not working so they couldn't dig deeper. I thought the offer was high, but they were the ones who reached out to me. Now I feel like they wasted my time. I'll only use them for warranty work, including the paint, moving forward and will definitely be taking any other service work elsewhere.
Sponsored