Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 686 60.9%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 232 20.6%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 108 9.6%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 101 9.0%

• Total voters

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
All you guys bad mouthing FCA about this a that. Have you actually taken the time to look at Fords record? It isnt all that good. Anyone here had their 6.0 diesel when they first came out? Other examples as well.

With any new vehicle from ANY company a new owner can get jammed into nothing but problems. My bronco was a POS, but my f150 that I still have is a keeper. I LOVE that thing.

Advertisement

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What is surprising to me is the lack of mention in this thread (and others) of the DI engines offered on the new Bronco. Being that the 2.3 and 2.7 ecoboost engines are turbocharged and DI, aren't they similar to the 2.0T JL engines?

With all of the 2.0T DI engine haters on this forum I figured most of you would be firmly against the new Bronco! Or is it just the eTorque system people hate?

You all got me confused.

Signed,

2.0T eTorque lover
The 2.7 has both port & direct injection

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
There are certainly things about the Bronco that I do like, but I will still keep my Jeep for a while longer.

Now maybe I can convince my wife to get a Bronco Sport to replace the Honda?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
All you guys bad mouthing FCA about this a that. Have you actually taken the time to look at Fords record? It isnt all that good. Anyone here had their 6.0 diesel when they first came out? Other examples as well.

With any new vehicle from ANY company a new owner can get jammed into nothing but problems. My bronco was a POS, but my f150 that I still have is a keeper. I LOVE that thing.
In fact, Ford probably has one of the worst records with all-new vehicle launches among the Big 3.

Following the launches of Fusions, Escapes and F-Series, Ford issued recalls due to fire risk multiple times between 2012 and 2019.

It’s a Ford thing...

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
Back in the 90s my dad traded his Jeep for a Bronco. He always said that was a huge mistake. He always missed that Jeep and hated the Bronco. in 1995 he traded the Bronco for what would me my first car 12 years later. A Jeep Cherokee XJ.

Monkeynono

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Oddly enough the first ten 6.0 were the better of the two versions

rockadile

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
The point was that looks are going to play a huge roll on the ultimate decision to go with the Bronco or Jeep. If the statistics being thrown around regarding Jeep being more of a “ mall crawler” are accurate then the actual capabilities of either Jeep or Bronco play second fiddle to aesthetics.
You and I can agree on that point. But I think the Bronco looks pretty good. I will withhold final judgement on appearance until I see one in person. I believe that it will look even better in person. Especially in the Cyber Orange. :involve:

Strommen95

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito Sport S JLU
In fact, Ford probably has one of the worst records with all-new vehicle launches among the Big 3.

Following the launches of Fusions, Escapes and F-Series, Ford issued recalls due to fire risk multiple times between 2012 and 2019.

It’s a Ford thing...
Yeah, if people won't buy a Jeep or keep theirs because of quality I get it but a Ford Bronco then isn't the answer for that person either.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to lift the new Bronco.

The most common complaint on Toyota Tacoma forums, besides the atrocious automatic transmission and driving position that is, was from owners struggling with front alignment issues after lifting their trucks.

It appears something about IFS makes lifting those trucks a bit tricky. I don’t know if this is something unique to Tacomas or common on all IFS trucks.

Definitely worth looking into before dropping several grand on a new Bronco that then becomes difficult to modify.
It's going to be the same for the Bronco. Because IFS moves on an arc that changes the camber of the wheel lifting it can cause more problems than lifting a solid axle vehicle. In order to maintain the factory alignment specification you need to have all of the mounting points for the control arms lower on the frame in the same approximate location as the factory setup. This usually also requires that the differential is also lowered in order to keep the CV shaft angles working well and not binding. And all of that will only lift it. That still doesn't add any capability. In order to get more travel more components like the A arms themselves have to be replaced adding much more cost. This is also typically work that the average owner won't be able to perform themselves.

Compare this to something like a budget lift for the JL. Daystar makes a spacer lift that includes lower control arms, longer sway bar links, shock extensions and the coil spacers, all for less than 300 dollars. I was able to install it myself without a lift or any special tools in less than 3 hours.

That is something that won't be possible with the Bronco.

Advertisement

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement