Backup Lights

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Thank you for sharing the pics and info, I really like that light tucked under the hitch. Nice install. Is this the one you used? -
Rigid Industries 86610 Black DC Scene Floodlight (1x2 65 Degree).
Yes, that's the one I used. They have two options a white and an amber, make sure you choose the white one. It is a bit pricier than many others but I have to say that the quality is very high. One of the things I wanted to be confident about was the weatherproofing because I was underside mounting it and it will get exposed to lots wetness. The website clearly states that undercarriage mounting is supported. Obviously, water fording might cause some issues but I don't really do that.

I will add that I have no "hot spot" issue and the light is ample. Its puts light where I need it and does a great job of illuminating the first 10-12 feet behind me, making backing up in dark areas much easier. Finally, I just want to add that it comes with hardware (nuts and bolts) and all you have to do is use their template to make two very small (quarter inch) holes on either side of the hitch receiver bottom plate, which has absolutely no impact on the hitch receiver's integrity. If anyone is going this route, I can provide more detail.
Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Yes, that's the one I used. They have two options a white and an amber, make sure you choose the white one. It is a bit pricier than many others but I have to say that the quality is very high. One of the things I wanted to be confident about was the weatherproofing because I was underside mounting it and it will get exposed to lots wetness. The website clearly states that undercarriage mounting is supported. Obviously, water fording might cause some issues but I don't really do that.

I will add that I have no "hot spot" issue and the light is ample. Its puts light where I need it and does a great job of illuminating the first 10-12 feet behind me, making backing up in dark areas much easier. Finally, I just want to add that it comes with hardware (nuts and bolts) and all you have to do is use their template to make two very small (quarter inch) holes on either side of the hitch receiver bottom plate, which has absolutely no impact on the hitch receiver's integrity. If anyone is going this route, I can provide more detail.
Keep writing, your excellent info just keeps coming! I like the low profile to allow it to be under the hitch and I'm happy to hear it functions well for better lighting when backing up etc. Also good to learn about the necessity to drill the holes, as I assumed that was the method. My only concern with that location is whether I'd scrape it off while off-road. I will likely wire them to an Aux switch and not to the reverse lights to fit my needs. I might also consider one on the front under the bumper if I can figure out a good location and mounting method to the steel skid for use when want to tow the Jeep and need a little light in the connection area, but not use the headlights.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep writing, your excellent info just keeps coming! I like the low profile to allow it to be under the hitch and I'm happy to hear it functions well for better lighting when backing up etc. Also good to learn about the necessity to drill the holes, as I assumed that was the method. My only concern with that location is whether I'd scrape it off while off-road. I will likely wire them to an Aux switch and not to the reverse lights to fit my needs. I might also consider one on the front under the bumper if I can figure out a good location and mounting method to the steel skid for use when want to tow the Jeep and need a little light in the connection area, but not use the headlights.
It's probably not easy to tell, but the light sits higher than (meaning there is more clearance from ground to the light than) the exhaust. Although the exhaust may be more in line with the wheels so there's that. Its also robust (made out of metal) so it probably can take a bit of a beating (there's no joint, it sits very flat against the metal its attached too).

I will take a picture tonight of the light it produces from both outside and the view on the display inside.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@OMTBiker

No have.. can tell you though, I get a nice, crisp white light with the Rigids, I have..... and the rear camera thanks to those lights provides me with a decent, well lighted ... no glare in the camera pic, of what is behind me.

Can tell you I like the look, placement of Jeeper's better then my install shown in the pic below.

Jeeper's install would not make much sense for a guy that tows a trailer very often. Not practical. Drop hitch and the trailer's tongue would totally block the light, unfortunately.

rigid-lites.jpg

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OMTBiker I'm not seeing "hot spots/glare" with my Rigids, installed on the underside of the rear bumper.

@Jeeper 's install is slick as baby chitt, but for me, and towing trailers a lot, it would not be a way to go..

My trailer tongue would block that single aux light, when I needed it most.

When I am loading my Harley at night.... and when I want to turn on while driving, to illuminate the towed trailer/bike, so the rear camera can give me a view and let me know all is well with my tie down straps, etc.. I need rear lighting that is not blocked by the trailer tongue. Again, @Jeeper your install is real nice............. would not work for me though.

I run around a 10" drop hitch on the back of my JL. That too, would block that light completely. Most guys will be like me... dropped hitch cause of Wrangler's height.

ppp.jpg
I'm not sure a dropped trailer hitch would have as much of an impact as your suggesting. Reason being is that little flood light shines a very wide beam spread. I'll try and block it with something a kin to a dropped hitch and shoot a picture of the difference.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm not sure a dropped trailer hitch would have as much of an impact as your suggesting. Reason being is that little flood light shines a very wide beam spread. I'll try and block it with something a kin to a dropped hitch and shoot a picture of the difference.
Moot point for me. There is no question in my mind that the light mounted as yours is mounted, would not have it's light flood, blocked partially /impaced, by the trailer's triple beam, tongue and or the dropped hitch which is about 3" wide. and drops down directly in front of the light where you have it.

So, for this guy, that actually uses his trailer hitch.. that tows often, this light placement is a no go, unfortunately.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I recently joined the backup lights club. The LED package is great when it comes to head lights, brake lights, and tail lights. It falls on its face with the reverse lights though.
So I added 2 lights to my rear bumper. I looked at several mounting options, one of which were custom brackets I made to provide a no-drill install. They worked well, but I didn't like that they limited my ability to adjust the direction of the lights after install (just a result of how the brackets had to be positioned). So I took them back off, and just drilled two small holes in the bumper. I ran a wire from the Aux 3 wire in the engine compartment, and a ground wire from the vacant ground post in the engine compartment. The wires went through the frame rail easy as pie. This was probably the easiest vehicle I've ever wired anything to.
Sorry no pictures yet. It's been far to cold/snowy to think of that lately.

PS. I considered mounting under the bumper like many of you have done, but in N.E.Ohio the roads are nasty for half the year. Either with salt, brine, slush or rain. I didn't like them under the bumper where they get covered in that gunk all the time. Plus I figured mounting higher would give me a bit more light/visibility especially if I had my trailer hooked up.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I recently joined the backup lights club. The LED package is great when it comes to head lights, brake lights, and tail lights. It falls on its face with the reverse lights though.
So I added 2 lights to my rear bumper. I looked at several mounting options, one of which were custom brackets I made to provide a no-drill install. They worked well, but I didn't like that they limited my ability to adjust the direction of the lights after install (just a result of how the brackets had to be positioned). So I took them back off, and just drilled two small holes in the bumper. I ran a wire from the Aux 3 wire in the engine compartment, and a ground wire from the vacant ground post in the engine compartment. The wires went through the frame rail easy as pie. This was probably the easiest vehicle I've ever wired anything to.
Sorry no pictures yet. It's been far to cold/snowy to think of that lately.

PS. I considered mounting under the bumper like many of you have done, but in N.E.Ohio the roads are nasty for half the year. Either with salt, brine, slush or rain. I didn't like them under the bumper where they get covered in that gunk all the time. Plus I figured mounting higher would give me a bit more light/visibility especially if I had my trailer hooked up.
Listen if you want to be in the club, need to have photos... I don't care how cold.... I only work on my Jeep if it is 65 or above....

Really want to see them... speck out lights types etc.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Typical forum rules apply then eh? Photos or it didn't happen. :)

I'll see if I can muster up a few today. Time to break out the parka.:camera:

As for the lights. I just ordered a cheap set off Amazon. I didn't want to break the bank if they weren't going to mount well, or looked hideous. They're Nilight LED, flood lights. By cheap, I'm talking super cheap (under $20). The key is though, that now I've got the wiring and mounts in place so I can add better lights when these die. For the price, I'm sure that will not take long, but they worked for R&D.

There's another one on the driver side. I'll get some more photos from a bit further away, and with them lit. Till then this is all I've got.

reverse aux.jpg

Last edited:

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha. Typical forum rules apply then eh? Photos or it didn't happen. :)

I'll see if I can muster up a few today. Time to break out the parka.:camera:

As for the lights. I just ordered a cheap set off Amazon. I didn't want to break the bank if they weren't going to mount well, or looked hideous. They're Nilight LED, flood lights. By cheap, I'm talking super cheap (under $20). The key is though, that now I've got the wiring and mounts in place so I can add better lights when these die. For the price, I'm sure that will not take long, but they worked for R&D.

There's another one on the driver side. I'll get some more photos from a bit further away, and with them lit. Till then this is all I've got.

reverse aux.jpg
Nice.... Thanks, it will be 45 degrees in Chicago this weekend.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I hope so. I've got to do some shopping tomorrow and don't want to freeze. I also hope to get a shot or two of the lights while I'm out.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I finally took some photos. I still need to adjust the aim of the lights a bit, but they made a huge difference. I need to turn them outboard a hair more to light up the sides more even with them poorly aimed I can see much better to back up. Looking at the light output the single row house may have been sufficient rather than the double row, but the extra light will be nice when I'm backing while in the woods.
Heck for $20 lights, they're brighter and cast a nicer beam than I expected.

The stock lights are so weak, that the brake lights are pretty much the only thing lighting up the area behind you.
reverse aux (3).jpg

With the new lights added, the dull red is replaced with a nicely lit view of everything. As you can see, the beams meet near the center, so I'm going to push them out a bit to light a little more of the roadside. No sense in overlapping the lights too much, but I'm not playing with the aim of lights when it's hovering around single digit temps. Till I adjust them though, this is still a huge improvement.
reverse aux (4).jpg

And then one shot of the actual lights on my bumper. They're away from debris kicked up by the tires, and not in the way of anything. No risk if getting damaged if I get into some deep stuff off road either. And bright enough, that even during daylight with snow on the ground the camera still picks up the shine.
reverse aux (2).jpg
Sponsored