Sponsored

Backup Lights

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@mikej, thanks for the compliment, I actually didn't include a bunch or photos and explanations, wanted to keep it short. As for two diodes?, since I can control the light independent of the backup circuit via the Aux 4 switch, I wanted to prevent any back feeding into the circuit, and issues with the CANbus. Don't really know if I needed one or two, but it was good prevention. Several theories floating around....better safe than sorry.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I was pm'd a few months ago by a guy that opted to use just one diode in the mix when having his Rigid back-up lights wired to both an Aux and the 7 pin connector. He pm'd me to let me know, that my using a second diode was not at all necessary. I was posting on the forum to use two diodes....

Anyway, two weeks later he pm'd me again and said he was having frequent....intermittent, CAN bus issues with just one diode so he installed the second diode.

@Bilymac , you did right by using a second diode..

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I was pm'd a few months ago by a guy that opted to use just one diode in the mix when having his Rigid back-up lights wired to both an Aux and the 7 pin connector. He pm'd me to let me know, that my using a second diode was not at all necessary. I was posting on the forum to use two diodes....

Anyway, two weeks later he pm'd me again and said he was having frequent....intermittent, CAN bus issues with just one diode so he installed the second diode.

@Bilymac , you did right by using a second diode..

Rhineback, just so I am clear. . . you're saying that it is recommended to use diodes (2 as you noted) for any add-on 12v lights, cig outlets (like I want to add for "always hot" power the rv brake needs), etc that is connected to the Aux switches and NOT tied into other existing things? For example, if I add a backup light, I'll want it switched via the Aux switch, not with the OEM backup lights.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rhinebeck, just so I am clear. . . you're saying that it is recommended to use diodes (2 as you noted) for any add-on 12v lights, cig outlets (like I want to add for "always hot" power the rv brake needs), etc that is connected to the Aux switches and NOT tied into other existing things? For example, if I add a backup light, I'll want it switched via the Aux switch, not with the OEM backup lights.
@jeepixel

I believe you are misunderstanding.....

Anyway,

IF you are wiring backup- light(s) to just an Aux, then no, you do not need a diode.

If you are wiring up backup lights to just the 7 pin connector backup wire, you do not need a diode.

If you are hooking up the backup lights to just the backup wire at the tail lamps, you do not need a diode.

In the case of backup lights wired to both an Aux and the backup wire at the tail lamp or at the 7 pin connector, then yes you need 2 diodes.

In regard to directly connecting to some 12v source on the JL, no you do not need a diode.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
@jeepixel

Anyway,

IF you are wiring backup- light(s) to just an Aux, then no, you do not need a diode.

If you are wiring up backup lights to just the 7 pin connector backup wire, you do not need a diode.

If you are hooking up the backup lights to just the backup wire at the tail lamps, you do not need a diode.

In the case of backup lights wired to both an Aux and the backup wire at the tail lamp or at the 7 pin connector, then yes you need 2 diodes.

In regard to directly connecting to some 12v source on the JL, no you do not need a diode.

And now thanks to you and Plex, I have a much better understanding! Thank you!

Sponsored

Coopdeville

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Can I get a confirmation on something. Wiring aux lighting to reverse lights and being able to control them via switch, in the the passenger side rear taillight what wire did you guys use to tap into for power? I’ve read on here white/orange strip and white/brown strip. There are both so which one is it?

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@jeepixel

Anyway,

Where do the diodes go? One for the line from the Aux and one for the line from the 7 pin?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Can I get a confirmation on something. Wiring aux lighting to reverse lights and being able to control them via switch, in the the passenger side rear taillight what wire did you guys use to tap into for power? I’ve read on here white/orange strip and white/brown strip. There are both so which one is it?
At the light used the wire on the other side of the connector that went to orange white. There was more room for the splicing connector there. I think it was actually grey or pink, you can trace it to the reverse light. The orange brown confusion is the colors are pretty close I think.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Waiting on my rigid lights to come in... Any reason you guys are running through the frame rail to the aux on the engine compartment vs inside the jeep to the passenger foot well? Is it easier? Was thinking of going inside...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@millerjl

Why would you wire from the inside Aux, only to have to get the wire back outside to hook-up your back-up lights with. Running through the frame rail is easy easy. Pulling panels and such and running through the inside of a JL is more work to say the least. Reality is, you can run inside or out..