MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I finally took some photos. I still need to adjust the aim of the lights a bit, but they made a huge difference. I need to turn them outboard a hair more to light up the sides more even with them poorly aimed I can see much better to back up. Looking at the light output the single row house may have been sufficient rather than the double row, but the extra light will be nice when I'm backing while in the woods.
Heck for $20 lights, they're brighter and cast a nicer beam than I expected.

The stock lights are so weak, that the brake lights are pretty much the only thing lighting up the area behind you.
reverse aux (3).jpg

With the new lights added, the dull red is replaced with a nicely lit view of everything. As you can see, the beams meet near the center, so I'm going to push them out a bit to light a little more of the roadside. No sense in overlapping the lights too much, but I'm not playing with the aim of lights when it's hovering around single digit temps. Till I adjust them though, this is still a huge improvement.
reverse aux (4).jpg

And then one shot of the actual lights on my bumper. They're away from debris kicked up by the tires, and not in the way of anything. No risk if getting damaged if I get into some deep stuff off road either. And bright enough, that even during daylight with snow on the ground the camera still picks up the shine.
reverse aux (2).jpg
OK good write up and photos you’re in the club now. I like your location for the reasons you gave. I just wanted to hide mine more.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha, yes I belong.

Seriously though, I spent a ton of time on the previously mentioned brackets. I just couldn't come up with a good way to mount them under the bumper where they'd not get destroyed, and/or covered in gunk.. So the top was the only way to go. For me anyway.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha, yes I belong.

Seriously though, I spent a ton of time on the previously mentioned brackets. I just couldn't come up with a good way to mount them under the bumper where they'd not get destroyed, and/or covered in gunk.. So the top was the only way to go. For me anyway.
Testing to see if you can take pickiness on the forum. I agree with your reason as I liked the under the bumper idea but I have gone through mud and the lights would not last or would be missing after rocky trail in NC. I ordered another flood pattern set for my front bumper to shine 45 degrees to the sides as the LED headlights don't cover some narrow tails at sunset or early dawn. Will post in weeks as on the road for work and just ordered the lights. Plus it needs to be 65 degrees warm to work on them.

Enjoy your ride.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I have no plans for serious off roading, but I have done it before, so it's not impossible. I figured I should mount them for "just in case" rather than having to worry about them or limit my capabilities. That and I really doubt any lights are going to hold up to road salt very long.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
8AAAB781-CE1E-4C57-A594-7F595CC8332A.jpeg
Another member joins the club. I accessed the 7-pin wire loom where it passes through the passenger tail light (thanks to @Bilymac for the suggestion) to splice into the backup light and ground wires. Rather than threading a wire through the frame channel, I accessed an Aux switch by running a wire behind the paneling on the passenger side and connected to the Aux 4 switch wire located behind the glove box. Pulling the pannels off and snapping them back in place was not difficult. The Rigid SR-M Pro is extremely bright. The only thing I don’t like, is that the Rigid logo is upside down. I blacked it out with a magic marker, so it’s not as noticeable.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
8AAAB781-CE1E-4C57-A594-7F595CC8332A.jpeg
Another member joins the club. I accessed the 7-pin wire loom where it passes through the passenger tail light (thanks to @Bilymac for the suggestion) to splice into the backup light and ground wires. Rather than threading a wire through the frame channel, I accessed an Aux switch by running a wire behind the paneling on the passenger side and connected to the Aux 4 switch wire located behind the glove box. Pulling the pannels off and snapping them back in place was not difficult. The Rigid SR-M Pro is extremely bright. The only thing I don’t like, is that the Rigid logo is upside down. I blacked it out with a magic marker, so it’s not as noticeable.
Welcome to the Backup Light Club where we share ideas on fixing the lighting issues. I like your idea... I also hooked my lights to AUX switch as I did not need the BUL on all the time... PLUS I wanted to turn them on while working at night behind the Jeep.

As for upside down Rigid logo, I had KC lights and I was able to unscrew the front lenses cover and flip it. Can you do the same for KC lights. Black marker works just as good. Thanks for sharing.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Welcome to the Backup Light Club where we share ideas on fixing the lighting issues. I like your idea... I also hooked my lights to AUX switch as I did not need the BUL on all the time... PLUS I wanted to turn them on while working at night behind the Jeep.

As for upside down Rigid logo, I had KC lights and I was able to unscrew the front lenses cover and flip it. Can you do the same for KC lights. Black marker works just as good. Thanks for sharing.
I asked Rigid about flipping the cover. They said I would void the lifetime warranty if I did.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Unless I can find a smaller light, using the reflectors will not work. The screws for the rigid light are 1.4” square which puts one screw outside of the reflector. See photo, sorry for the hand editing but I think everyone has the idea. There is also a stand-off which holds a nutsert which will also be in the way.

DD473AAD-DF94-4E8D-96B4-B7C103889A8F.jpeg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I've run numerous experiments and so far, the feedback hasn't caused a single glitch. I am soldering a diode in, just in case. The only feedback is going to be when the switch is used and that's going to be the rarity instead of the norm. There is obviously internal diodes because when the switch is turned on, only the reverse light spliced into lights up. (Corrected wiring diagram below)

Reverse Lights2.jpg
Great job on this, I'm doing this next.

BTW, there is no backfeed possible with your setup.
When the switch is on the trigger to the backup light is not connected to the relay and and when the switch is off the trigger is connected and will turn the lights on with the brake lights.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Shots

On my JK I put them in those locations for the same reason. Mine are Amazon low cost in case they are stolen. I've had them for 5 years and still going great. Mine are 1 row of 6 LEDs in a flood pattern. I ran a bead of silicone around the lens and where the wire comes out of the case. One I have held down with 3M double sided tape and the other with magnets.

Sponsored

JeepDada

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara Moab Unlimited JL
I was pm'd a few months ago by a guy that opted to use just one diode in the mix when having his Rigid back-up lights wired to both an Aux and the 7 pin connector. He pm'd me to let me know, that my using a second diode was not at all necessary. I was posting on the forum to use two diodes....

Anyway, two weeks later he pm'd me again and said he was having frequent....intermittent, CAN bus issues with just one diode so he installed the second diode.

@Bilymac , you did right by using a second diode..

I am an electrical Virgin and taking this all in.
I am going to install the Rigid backup lights exactly as described tapping into the tailgate receiver tow hitch wiring harness and also wiring it to a factory Aux button so I have automatic back up lighting but also the ability to have scene lighting for unloading or camping while Jeep is parked.

Love all the info here and will use diodes to eliminate any potential feedback by having two different “triggers”...

I am curious: with the diodes installed what would happen if I were to have the Aux trigger in the on position- so the Rigid backup lights were already on and then I were to put the Jeep in reverse?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...Mine are Amazon low cost in case they are stolen. I've had them for 5 years and still going great. ...
Dang, that's promising. I don't have mine wired to the reverse lights (Aux only) because I don't need them on when I reverse during the day, or in all night time situations. So with the limited amount of use maybe they'll hold up as well as yours have. That would be great.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, that's promising. I don't have mine wired to the reverse lights (Aux only) because I don't need them on when I reverse during the day, or in all night time situations. So with the limited amount of use maybe they'll hold up as well as yours have. That would be great.
Put disconnects on the wiring so you can change them out quickly if you have a problem. For $16 a pair I keep a couple of pair around to change out or add on temporarily.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious: with the diodes installed what would happen if I were to have the Aux trigger in the on position- so the Rigid backup lights were already on and then I were to put the Jeep in reverse?
With the aux trigger on, only the Rigid lights will illuminate. Putting in reverse will cause the OEM reverse lights to turn on (since the rigids are already on). With the diodes wired in, it sounds like a good setup to me.
Sponsored