Backup Lights

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Well, I’ve followed this thread prior to receiving my jl. You guys are absolutely correct. The led reverse lights S U C K. It’s too bad we need to add auxiliary lights just to back up at night
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Put disconnects on the wiring so you can change them out quickly if you have a problem. For $16 a pair I keep a couple of pair around to change out or add on temporarily.
Not a bad idea. Still probably a cheaper option than installing an expensive set.

I did the Rigid floods and hooked them up to Aux 3 switch. I like them. Pricey but good.
I like them mounted into the bumper. Nice build. I actually considered fitting lights into my bumper, but I couldn't come up with a good configuration in the stock bumper.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone had luck simply replacing the stock reverse light bulbs with better ones? I understand that it won’t be nearly as bright as aftermarket auxiliary lights. I removed the light and learned that mine are not like the ones I’ve seen in the headlight revolution video.

At 1:56 when he removes the bracket held on by the 3 screws and accesses the bulbs, my tail lights with LED and active safety group and are completely different. I didn’t get a photo. On mine there aren’t regular bulbs that you remove by twisting a quarter turn. There’s a molded receptacle with a plug but no bulb to remove. Has anyone else with LED amd advanced safety and tried to access the tail light/brake light/reverse light fixture to just replace the reverse bulb?

Colorado Rubicon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Dune Clear Coat JK Unlimited Sahara, 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Dually, 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (Daughters), 2015 Polaris RZR 4 1000, 2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 Crew
Here is what I did. Looks factory to me. Super bright! No low hanging issues as with other lights. 1260 lumens each!

C216D141-86D5-4E0E-90ED-935302145440.jpeg

DE80AC42-9BBB-4441-BA17-B44560C8C347.jpeg

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had luck simply replacing the stock reverse light bulbs with better ones? I understand that it won’t be nearly as bright as aftermarket auxiliary lights. I removed the light and learned that mine are not like the ones I’ve seen in the headlight revolution video.

At 1:56 when he removes the bracket held on by the 3 screws and accesses the bulbs, my tail lights with LED and active safety group and are completely different. I didn’t get a photo. On mine there aren’t regular bulbs that you remove by twisting a quarter turn. There’s a molded receptacle with a plug but no bulb to remove. Has anyone else with LED amd advanced safety and tried to access the tail light/brake light/reverse light fixture to just replace the reverse bulb?

You have the LED factory light package. The Jeep in the video has standard light package. Look at the headlights in the video and you can see they are not the LED package. No bulb in yours to replace.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You have the LED factory light package. The Jeep in the video has standard light package. Look at the headlights in the video and you can see they are not the LED package. No bulb in yours to replace.
Thanks. I thought there may be a traditional bulb setup, just with an LED build. Looks like my option to get more backup light will be to go the auxiliary lights route like most people here are discussing.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys think about these?

41Sbi32kA-L-500x500.jpg

They plug right in to the 7 pin outlet so no need to wire anything. They just work. It is removable, of course, so it is easy to take off before hitting a muddy, deep trail. At 4300lm, they'll be plenty bright and are easily adjustable. I'm thinking for $160, it is worth adding on

https://corfabrication.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What do you guys think about these?

41Sbi32kA-L-500x500.jpg

They plug right in to the 7 pin outlet so no need to wire anything. They just work. It is removable, of course, so it is easy to take off before hitting a muddy, deep trail. At 4300lm, they'll be plenty bright and are easily adjustable. I'm thinking for $160, it is worth adding on

https://corfabrication.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74
Accessories like that... that plug into the 7 pin, will over time... and not that long a time, be the cause of issues with the 7 pin.

My feeling is use the 7 pin for it's intended purpose and when you need it for it's intended purpose, it will work properly.

Also, no way would I pay $160 for that product.. absolutely no way..

That thing looks like crap also!

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How interested would you guy be in a kit that replaces the factory reflectors on the bumpers with a pair of flood LED lights?

It would be a complete kit designed for the JL, with wiring and everything.

I do think you would have to cut the bumper behind the reflets asd it is solid if im correct. WOuld that change anything?
Any word on this? I'm trying to figure out new back-up lights and I think this solution would be perfect!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@IndustrialAction

I base my "looks like crap" comment based on this pic. Even if you wanted to spare your 7 pin the use, would you really want this thing in the pic hanging off the back of your JL..
20180309_161709-500x500.jpg

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@IndustrialAction

I base my "looks like crap" comment based on this pic. Even if you wanted to spare your 7 pin the use, would you really want this thing in the pic hanging off the back of your JL..
20180309_161709-500x500.jpg
I don't like the square one but I don't mind the round one in my other post. Thus far, I haven't really liked any of the bumper mounted solutions. Now, if @InspiredEngineering makes lights to replaced the reflectors, my attitude about bumper mounted lights would definitely change

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I agree with Rhinebeck01 that $160 is a bit steep for it, but otherwise it's a neat idea. Personally I'd just buy some lights, and bolt them to a shaft and wire up a quick disconnect for much less. You wouldn't have to worry about leaving your hitch plug connected all the time and you could get some lights that are a bit more aesthetically pleasing. All while saving $100 or so. Honestly if I had seen that before I would likely have explored the idea of making something similar. Not a bad idea, just a bit expensive and I'd find a way to connect without leaving the hitch plug connected all the time. Likely some pig tails similar to factory connectors (Example)
A piece of 2" square aluminum tube stock a foot long can be bought for $23 (McMaster-Carr), or you could buy a hitch step or something similar to mount the lights to for roughly $50.
Just some suggestions. I think it's a neat idea, but I'd do it myself.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7 pins have a cover on them and for good reason. The cover seals up the inners of the 7 pin quite well. The cover thwarts water, sand, yuk from working it's way up to the metal inner parts... the connections there.

Keep the cover seal clean and the cover closed, along with lubricating the metal connections in the 7 pin and that 7 pin will be usable when you really need it to it's intended purpose. As for me I pay close attention to the protection and maintenance of my 7 pin.

You leave the 7 pin cover open/ ajar, all the time... use the 7 pin 24/7, 365 days a year and you are asking for shortened life of the 7 pin or a problematic 7 pin, connections wise....

IF you rely on your 7 pin for it's intended purpose, you treat it accordingly, lets say. Use it when you need it for the intended purpose

........ and for your b/u lighting just wire up some aux lights. There are so may possibilities b/u light wise... and so easy to wire up. Why jeopardize your 7 pin.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I did. Looks factory to me. Super bright! No low hanging issues as with other lights. 1260 lumens each!

C216D141-86D5-4E0E-90ED-935302145440.jpeg

DE80AC42-9BBB-4441-BA17-B44560C8C347.jpeg
I like your solution the most, but I would imagine the light output is a lot less compared to the rigids etc. How do you feel about these as a rear aux lighting option? Or are they more suitable as just a an upgrade to the reverse lights
Sponsored