Backup Lights

Alien2007

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku
I am wiring my s2 up right now are there any common ground spots near the back to ground it to I am using aux only
Sponsored

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am wiring my s2 up right now are there any common ground spots near the back to ground it to I am using aux only
I did the same thing you did. I connected the ground to one of the two bolts to the right of the frame rail. Use a socket wrench to loosen.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
A grounding issue can cause intermittent headaches. It really serves you best to get a real good ground when doing such an install. A ground that seems good today ... works today can get flakey, not work after awhile.

Best bet is to place a ring connector on your ground wire and then with a self tapping screw, fasten that ring connector to a ground point that you have cleaned up well.

Don't even think about say loosening a bolt on the frame and winding the ground wire around it an retightening it. Sure you will ground, but will this ground be good for the long haul.... ?

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I'm really liking the single-light look. It's very European. Thanks for posting this – I think I'm going to steal your design.
I think the single light balances the 4/7 pin connector on the other side. Nice and close to the bumper and doesn't hang low.

dugout68

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (ordered), 2018 Dodge Durango GT, 2015 Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Got around to putting the Rigid lights in today!
Not a bad project and improved lighting. Did the reverse light and aux 4 option.

fullsizeoutput_363.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_367.jpeg

Sponsored

NGAJLRUBI

First Name
ADAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Sales Manager Hayes Automotive
Vehicle Showcase
Reverse light I installed, may put a little bigger but this will work for now!

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8036.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Just wanted to share that I installed a Rigid Scene Light (1100 lumens) on the underside of the hitch and wired it following the double diode idea to Aux 3 and the hitch plug wire for back up lights. It works great, puts out a ton of light and is very discreet. I also really liked that I didn't need two of them and could center mount the single. Happy to answer more questions about it.

Jeep 7.jpg

Jeep 8.jpg

Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to share that I installed a Rigid Scene Light (1100 lumens) on the underside of the hitch and wired it following the double diode idea to Aux 3 and the hitch plug wire for back up lights. It works great, puts out a ton of light and is very discreet. I also really liked that I didn't need two of them and could center mount the single. Happy to answer more questions about it.

Jeep 7.jpg

Jeep 8.jpg
Looks great

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
any updates
No updates yet, still deciding on direction. Have a few options I am looking at:
  • Drill out center to install the rigid backup lights and be flush, the issue is there is a mounting tab that needs to be cut to have the light centered
  • Drill out the back of the light and leave the red reflector, mount rigid backup lights behind the reflector
  • 3D scan the reflector, then 3D print a replacement with mounting for the rigid backup lights.
Also deciding on one or two lights, the issue I am having is that I see that all photos so far have hot spots/ glare. I am looking for something that does not produce glare.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the 1 and 2 idea because it’s something I’m thinking of doing when we get ours in from factory. 3 sounds awesome and maybe you could sell them!

How bright is it if it just sits behind the reflector?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon

Jeep 7.jpg

Jeep 8.jpg
Thank you for sharing the pics and info, I really like that light tucked under the hitch. Nice install. Is this the one you used? -
Rigid Industries 86610 Black DC Scene Floodlight (1x2 65 Degree).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OMTBiker I'm not seeing "hot spots/glare" with my Rigids, installed on the underside of the rear bumper.

@Jeeper 's install is slick as baby chitt, but for me, and towing trailers a lot, it would not be a way to go..

My trailer tongue would block that single aux light, when I needed it most.

When I am loading my Harley at night.... and when I want to turn on while driving, to illuminate the towed trailer/bike, so the rear camera can give me a view and let me know all is well with my tie down straps, etc.. I need rear lighting that is not blocked by the trailer tongue. Again, @Jeeper your install is real nice............. would not work for me though.

I run around a 10" drop hitch on the back of my JL. That too, would block that light completely. Most guys will be like me... dropped hitch cause of Wrangler's height.

ppp.jpg
Sponsored