Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
i did some focal 4” components and audison 4” midbass speakers with JL 3.5s. It sounds pretty good and no cutting or hacking required. Gets plenty loud even with the top off and driving down the freeway.
Jeff, how much power are you running to them? And as for midbass, how much impact or attack are you getting from them?
What model focal and audisons?
Sponsored

Jeffmiller32

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2016 Mustang GT
Jeff, how much power are you running to them? And as for midbass, how much impact or attack are you getting from them?
What model focal and audisons?
I’m running a Rockford P600X4 which is 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

audion prima ap4 and focal ISN100 components. I got the speakers from eBay and the amps on offer up. Self installed with the pac Amppro.
Thinking of adding the JL TWK to get tuning like the VXi amps.

inkrediblehull

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tesla Model X, 2019 Audi RS5, 2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey everyone I would just like to let you know that JL Audio will be making " speaker kits" for the JL Wrangler to upgrade the stock speakers!!! It's still in R&D but can expect them to be coming out in the next few months. I'm an employee there and let the company use my jeep as the test dummy.
Any updates on this kit?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on this kit?
They introduced their sub enclosures, but I haven't seen anything on the kick panel pods. That said, Metra is releasing 6.5" speaker pods for the kick panels soon. In the SEMA thread, I'd posted a link to the press release for them. Pretty inexpensive, too! Here's their latest video:

Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
May be a stupid question but can I use one channel from the Jeep and run it to both channels of the LOC? I don’t care at all about left to right control as I’m only running subs off of the amp. The speaker wire is super thin and short and a pain to tap in to behind the rear passenger seat.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
May be a stupid question but can I use one channel from the Jeep and run it to both channels of the LOC? I don’t care at all about left to right control as I’m only running subs off of the amp. The speaker wire is super thin and short and a pain to tap in to behind the rear passenger seat.
That definitely can be accomplished, though a quick disclaimer or two first...
  1. Bass signals are often broadcast in stereo. Using only one channel may cause you to miss bass notes.
  2. The left and right channel signals are VERY easy to pull into an LOC. The twisted pair wires are located at the base of the B-Pillar behind the passenger seat, and you could tap into each of them with minimal effort. This is the recommended path.
Now, if you are hell bent on running a single signal into the LOC, you can do so by feeding one of the channles of the LOC with the positive and negative signal from the speaker wires of your choice. Using that channel's output from the LOC, you'd run a Single Male to Dual Male RCA Splitter from the selected output of the LOC to both (L+R) channels of your amp. (This assumes the LOC you're using has Female outputs)

Also, some amps will take a mono signal and split it for you. It really just depends on the Amp and its features.

Hope that helps,

PS: See #2 above! ;)

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
I’ll try and run both channels. They’re just quite tight and super small gauge wire.

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
New '20 JLUR w/ Alpine owner. I was wanting to add the SB-J-JL4DDRV/10TW1-2 driver's side 2 ohm sub, JL XD300/1v2, and Audio Control L2ci. Thanks for the info in this thread and also the location of the wires to tap into. I have several questions since I am new to some of this:

1. What wires or cable harness do I need disconnect for the Alpine sub in the rear?
  2. What are the best wire tap connectors to use to tap into the rear full range channels?
  3. Where do I tap into power for the L2Ci?
  4. Should I use 8 or 4 ga wire for the JL amp?
  5. Should I run the power cable down the driver or passenger side to main battery, and which firewall grommet is easiest to push through to get to the engine bay?
  6. Should I run the remote wire down the same side as power to get to the 12v cig lighter wire in the dash?
  7. Where is the best ground point on the drivers side for the JL amp and L2Ci?
  8. Is the ideal mounting location for the amp / loc in the rear compartment under the floor were you store the torx door/top bolts?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New '20 JLUR w/ Alpine owner. I was wanting to add the SB-J-JL4DDRV/10TW1-2 driver's side 2 ohm sub, JL XD300/1v2, and Audio Control L2ci. Thanks for the info in this thread and also the location of the wires to tap into. I have several questions since I am new to some of this:
  • What wires or cable harness do I need disconnect for the Alpine sub in the rear?
  • What are the best wire tap connectors to use to tap into the rear full range channels?
    • I use these, and have been very pleased with the results. Anything similar would work.
  • Where do I tap into power for the L2Ci?
    • You're going to need to run a 12V power source to your Amp directly from your battery.
    • The recommendation would be to run 4ga wire (fused at the battery!) through your passenger side firewall's large rubber grommet. Terminate it at a power distribution block that can handle a 4ga input while providing 2-4 8ga outputs. Send one 8ga wire to your amp, and attach your L2Ci's constant power wire to the second output of the distribution block.
  • Should I use 8 or 4 ga wire for the JL amp?
    • Teaser above. Run 4ga into the cabin, then split it to 8ga with the distribution block.
  • Should I run the power cable down the driver or passenger side to main battery, and which firewall grommet is easiest to push through to get to the engine bay?
    • Mostly answered above, but run it on the side that is closest to where your amp will be.
  • Should I run the remote wire down the same side as power to get to the 12v cig lighter wire in the dash?
    • Yes, that's fine. Whatever path is best to get to where you mount your amp and L2Ci.
  • Where is the best ground point on the drivers side for the JL amp and L2Ci?
    • There are grounding posts/nuts under the carpet in the front and rear of the Jeep on both sides. Just find an empty one and connect both grounds (Amp and LC2i).
  • Is the ideal mounting location for the amp / loc in the rear compartment under the floor were you store the torx door/top bolts?
    • You can definitely mount it there. Just know that there isn't anything in the way of air circulation there, so your amp could overheat on a long trip, or if you're pushing it real hard for a while. There's actually room underneath the front seats, too. It's really a personal preference, though JL Audio does make an under-seat mount (it's just kinda' pricey).
    • Don't install it under the back seats. When they fold down, there is zero clearance between the lower seat edge and the floor.
Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Best of luck with your install!

Sponsored

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
  • What wires or cable harness do I need disconnect for the Alpine sub in the rear?
  • What are the best wire tap connectors to use to tap into the rear full range channels?
    • I use these, and have been very pleased with the results. Anything similar would work.
  • Where do I tap into power for the L2Ci?
    • You're going to need to run a 12V power source to your Amp directly from your battery.
    • The recommendation would be to run 4ga wire (fused at the battery!) through your passenger side firewall's large rubber grommet. Terminate it at a power distribution block that can handle a 4ga input while providing 2-4 8ga outputs. Send one 8ga wire to your amp, and attach your L2Ci's constant power wire to the second output of the distribution block.
  • Should I use 8 or 4 ga wire for the JL amp?
    • Teaser above. Run 4ga into the cabin, then split it to 8ga with the distribution block.
  • Should I run the power cable down the driver or passenger side to main battery, and which firewall grommet is easiest to push through to get to the engine bay?
    • Mostly answered above, but run it on the side that is closest to where your amp will be.
  • Should I run the remote wire down the same side as power to get to the 12v cig lighter wire in the dash?
    • Yes, that's fine. Whatever path is best to get to where you mount your amp and L2Ci.
  • Where is the best ground point on the drivers side for the JL amp and L2Ci?
    • There are grounding posts/nuts under the carpet in the front and rear of the Jeep on both sides. Just find an empty one and connect both grounds (Amp and LC2i).
  • Is the ideal mounting location for the amp / loc in the rear compartment under the floor were you store the torx door/top bolts?
    • You can definitely mount it there. Just know that there isn't anything in the way of air circulation there, so your amp could overheat on a long trip, or if you're pushing it real hard for a while. There's actually room underneath the front seats, too. It's really a personal preference, though JL Audio does make an under-seat mount (it's just kinda' pricey).
    • Don't install it under the back seats. When they fold down, there is zero clearance between the lower seat edge and the floor.
Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Best of luck with your install!
Thanks for the info. I have some additional questions.

So I came across a youtube video that shows the person running a 16 ga power with 1A inline fuse (https://www.amazon.com/Water-resistant-Circuit-Inline-holder-Larger/dp/B018W2T7XS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3DNMIC1BI9KMI&keywords=1a+inline+fuse&qid=1576635658&s=hi&sprefix=1a+inline,electronics,332&sr=1-5) from the amp power input to the L2Ci. He then said you can run the L2Ci ground to the amp ground or amp ground termination point on the vehicle. Run the remote out from the L2Ci to the amp remote in. What are your thoughts?

Also, if I want a bass knob should I get the one for the JL 300/1v2 or the LC2i?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I have some additional questions.

So I came across a youtube video that shows the person running a 16 ga power with 1A inline fuse (https://www.amazon.com/Water-resistant-Circuit-Inline-holder-Larger/dp/B018W2T7XS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3DNMIC1BI9KMI&keywords=1a+inline+fuse&qid=1576635658&s=hi&sprefix=1a+inline,electronics,332&sr=1-5) from the amp power input to the L2Ci. He then said you can run the L2Ci ground to the amp ground or amp ground termination point on the vehicle. Run the remote out from the L2Ci to the amp remote in. What are your thoughts?

Also, if I want a bass knob I assume I should get one for the amp instead of the LC2i, right?
Just to clarify... He's running 8ga power and ground wiring to the amp and 18ga for the LC2i. There's a 50 amp fuse on the 8ga, and a 1 amp fuse on the 18ga. That part, I definitely agree with.

I'm not a fan of pulling power in a series like that, but it may be a personal preference more than a technical one. The fact is, the LC2i has a very low power requirement, so it may not matter much in this case. I tend to prefer a more discrete wiring approach where the splitting of power happens at the distribution block (further away from the amp's power ports). I always prefer discrete grounding (each device grounds to the frame or grounding post) to avoid engine whine and/or other electrical interference.

And yes, you'd want to use the Amp's bass knob over the LC2i's.

Just my .02

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Just to clarify... He's running 8ga power and ground wiring to the amp and 18ga for the LC2i. There's a 50 amp fuse on the 8ga, and a 1 amp fuse on the 18ga. That part, I definitely agree with.

I'm not a fan of pulling power in a series like that, but it may be a personal preference more than a technical one. The fact is, the LC2i has a very low power requirement, so it may not matter much in this case. I tend to prefer a more discrete wiring approach where the splitting of power happens at the distribution block (further away from the amp's power ports). I always prefer discrete grounding (each device grounds to the frame or grounding post) to avoid engine whine and/or other electrical interference.

And yes, you'd want to use the Amp's bass knob over the LC2i's.

Just my .02
Yes, I noticed that 8 ga was run from the battery in the video. Is there plenty of room under the Wrangler door sills to run 4 ga? I would rather run larger wire in case I add a larger amp down the road. I was leaning towards the $70 Crutchfield 4 ga amp kit and adding my own 3' quality rca. Is there a better kit that uses solid copper power/ground wire?

In regards to the remote wire is there a spot in the back that I can tap into instead of the front cig lighter?

I saw one other person mention they left the factory Alpine sub active. Since the existing mids and highs are small speakers would Alpine sub still be beneficial for the freq range it's running now to provide more mid bass?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you can run 4ga under it. Just make sure you're not going to pinch it anywhere when you snap the panels back in. Check the kit to ensure it has quality wire. Many on Amazon are foreign-made and the wire quality is terrible. I wouldn't skimp on your wires. Check with your local car audio shop, and have them price match to the online stuff to keep things fair. You could also buy bulk wire from Lowe's/Home Depot by the foot.

I haven't found a quality spot to pull a remote wire's power in the back of the Jeep. I believe the rear 12V adapter may provide constant power, though I have to say, it's really pretty easy to get to the front 12V port up front.

You can definitely leave it and see how it sounds. Phasing/Timing of the speakers is generally the issue. They can actually "fight" each other and degrade the bass signal rather than help it, but give it a shot before pulling the harness on the stock sub. Can't hurt!

Molson123123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
There are too many smart people in this thread, and I am hoping one or more of you can give me some advice. I have the 7” non-alpine, and added the alpine pss sub and amp (used, great price, and plug and play were the main reasons). But, as weird as it sounds, it’s too loud. Turning the volume up to 7-8 is ridiculous, and I actually like things loud. I am trying to find options to modulate this a bit. I have Rockford fosgate dsr that I planned to install. It isn’t necessarily as easy as I thought it may be, so before I take this on, I had a couple questions:
1. Will it help me tone this down a little?
2. Is it the right thing to accomplish this?
3. Any hints/suggestions regarding install?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored