Aftermarket subwoofer amp issues???

Ncoots01

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU SportS
I was very disappointed by the sound output of the stock JL sound system with the top off and I've always had some sort of subwoofer setup in my past vehicles. That being said i decided to throw my older system in on a Saturday i had off work. I was running a hifonics amplifier (yes i know not the greatest), 2- Alpine type r 12's in a ported box, a LC2i line output converter, and i have 1/0 gauge wire running to it all. It seemed to be working fine at first but every here and there the amp would just shut off and turn back on anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes later depending on the day, and it started happening more and more frequently by the day. My first thought was maybe bad wiring on my behalf so i brought it to a reputable audio shop that is close to my home town and had them take a look. They couldn't find any issues but tidied up my wiring job and mounted the amp and LC2i to a carpeted board to make it look "pretty". The issue went away for a while but eventually came back.... so i brought it back to the audio shop and bought a very nice brand new JL Audio amp and had it installed. It has a line output converter built in so therefore i could ditch the LC2i to hopefully resolve the issue. Once again it seemed like it worked but after a month or so it started happening again. I'm a little stuck here and don't know where to go next. If anyone else is having this issue and got it resolved please help!!!
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A few diagnostic questions:
  • When the amp stops playing, is the power light on the amp staying on, turning off, or blinking intermittently?
  • What are you grounding to?
    • It can be hard to find a good ground in newer vehicles.
    • Our Jeep's have awesome, dedicated grounding posts all around the vehicle.
  • What wires were tapped to pull the stock signal into your LC2i, and later your amp?
    • Check the area where they were tapped to ensure there's no way they are shorting out anywhere.
  • What source are you using for your remote wire?
    • It could be a lower voltage than needed to keep the amp on
    • It could also be that your battery is dropping below 12V, which causes non-essential accessories to be disabled. (longshot)
  • Where's your amp mounted?
    • Is it mounted in the storage compartment in the back? If so, the amp could be overheating.
These are just a few of the more common elements. If you've already checked these, let me know and I'll offer a few more.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Ncoots01

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU SportS
A few diagnostic questions:
  • When the amp stops playing, is the power light on the amp staying on, turning off, or blinking intermittently?
  • What are you grounding to?
    • It can be hard to find a good ground in newer vehicles.
    • Our Jeep's have awesome, dedicated grounding posts all around the vehicle.
  • What wires were tapped to pull the stock signal into your LC2i, and later your amp?
    • Check the area where they were tapped to ensure there's no way they are shorting out anywhere.
  • What source are you using for your remote wire?
    • It could be a lower voltage than needed to keep the amp on
    • It could also be that your battery is dropping below 12V, which causes non-essential accessories to be disabled. (longshot)
  • Where's your amp mounted?
    • Is it mounted in the storage compartment in the back? If so, the amp could be overheating.
These are just a few of the more common elements. If you've already checked these, let me know and I'll offer a few more.

Good luck!
So the original amp was turning off momentarily and then it would come back on and sometimes start playing again and sometimes it wouldn’t for a few more minutes. Ground is great according to the audio shop. I removed the rear seat and sanded down the paint to install it to one of the stubs the seat mounts to. The audio shop ran the remote wire because originally I was using the LC2i’s auto turn on feature from sensing signal from the speakers and when I got the new Installed amp they ran a remote wire. I’m pulling sound signal from right behind the access door to remove the rear right door. Also the new amp is mounted in the rear storage compartment now. However the old amp was mounted on a board in the trunk with plenty of air flow and I still had the same issues. I’ve checked the new amp numerous times while in the compartment and it doesn’t seem to be getting hot at all. It barley even gets warm I’d say.

Alall002

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I was very disappointed by the sound output of the stock JL sound system with the top off and I've always had some sort of subwoofer setup in my past vehicles. That being said i decided to throw my older system in on a Saturday i had off work. I was running a hifonics amplifier (yes i know not the greatest), 2- Alpine type r 12's in a ported box, a LC2i line output converter, and i have 1/0 gauge wire running to it all. It seemed to be working fine at first but every here and there the amp would just shut off and turn back on anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes later depending on the day, and it started happening more and more frequently by the day. My first thought was maybe bad wiring on my behalf so i brought it to a reputable audio shop that is close to my home town and had them take a look. They couldn't find any issues but tidied up my wiring job and mounted the amp and LC2i to a carpeted board to make it look "pretty". The issue went away for a while but eventually came back.... so i brought it back to the audio shop and bought a very nice brand new JL Audio amp and had it installed. It has a line output converter built in so therefore i could ditch the LC2i to hopefully resolve the issue. Once again it seemed like it worked but after a month or so it started happening again. I'm a little stuck here and don't know where to go next. If anyone else is having this issue and got it resolved please help!!!
Hey did you ever figure out what this was? I’m having the same issue but I’m using the PAC for the rca’s
Sponsored