Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my 2018 Sport with 2.0T e torque from almost a year, and last Sunday I bought a 2020 Sahara for my wife, with 3.6L etorque.

Both have great power and acceleration off the line. My Jeep is a beast off-road. I haven’t had hers off-road yet; I imagine it will perform admirably. Both are paired with the 850RE tranny - 8spd auto.

The only thing I notice at a stoplight is both are very quick and seamless when I take my foot off the brake. Both are started before I can hit the skinny pedal, no matter how fast I try to do so. My Jeep with the 2.0T is completely smooth. With the new 3.6 Sahara I notice a very slight *thunk* when it engages, not enough to make me think there’s something wrong - yet.
Sponsored

Wranglernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubi Unlimited
Occupation
Evil Overlord
One wonders what aftermarket tuners will be able to do with this.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I have a 2020 Sahara JLU with the 3.6 e-torque. I have had if for about 6 months and put about 4500 miles on it (Covid-19 kept the miles down). I have absolutely no issues with it. It accelerates smoothly and runs very comfortably around town or out on the highway at 75+ mph.

Rawyzf

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
We recently bought a Sahara with the 3.6 eTorque. So far, it's been great, nice little helper to get the Jeep off the line.

We drove 4 Jeeps, 2 Sahara in 3.6/2.0 and 2 Rubicon with 3.6/2.0.....all with eTorque.

I found that I like the 3.6 much better. Couple reasons. Power seemed to remain consistent in the 3.6, where the 2.0 seems to be hit or miss. The other thing that bugged me was that the 2.0 sounded like I was driving a Honda Civic. I know that won't bother most, but I like the grunt and growl of the 3.6. (wish there were a hemi option, and it'd be a no-brainer for me)

Sponsored

Gina

First Name
GiGi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have had my jeep wrangler sport two door I4 Turbo Since January and I absolutely love it. My complaint with four-cylinder jeeps in the past has been how sluggish they are, that is obviously no longer an issue. I have not put on a lot of miles due to COVID-19, but so far I am impressed. I am averaging around 25 miles per gallon city and highway.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I really like the non e torque 3.6 and wish I could get it on a 2021 Sahara. Don't want the e torque, especially for another $1500. Talked to my dealer about trading our 2018 yesterday and idk, may just keep the 18 longer.

Last edited:

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I have had my 2018 Sport with 2.0T e torque from almost a year, and last Sunday I bought a 2020 Sahara for my wife, with 3.6L etorque.

Both have great power and acceleration off the line. My Jeep is a beast off-road. I haven’t had hers off-road yet; I imagine it will perform admirably. Both are paired with the 850RE tranny - 8spd auto.

The only thing I notice at a stoplight is both are very quick and seamless when I take my foot off the brake. Both are started before I can hit the skinny pedal, no matter how fast I try to do so. My Jeep with the 2.0T is completely smooth. With the new 3.6 Sahara I notice a very slight *thunk* when it engages, not enough to make me think there’s something wrong - yet.
I notice in my 2.0 etorque when letting off the brake, the trans is still engaging so i get a little bump while rolling as if you went into drive slightly rolling.

I’ve gotten into the habit of quickly hitting the pedal to start it again and let off the brake entirely afterwards to drive.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I do ponder if the eTorque is as useful on the V6 as it is on the I4.

With the four cylinder, the eTorque's assistance until 1500 rpm's is pretty much perfect for giving extra oomph until the turbo spools up about the same time.

But for the high revving V6, there's still a gap between the that 1500 rpm and the higher rpm's where the V6 wakes up.

But it does still help with start/stop, so I guess that is a help.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I do ponder if the eTorque is as useful on the V6 as it is on the I4.

With the four cylinder, the eTorque's assistance until 1500 rpm's is pretty much perfect for giving extra oomph until the turbo spools up about the same time.

But for the high revving V6, there's still a gap between the that 1500 rpm and the higher rpm's where the V6 wakes up.

But it does still help with start/stop, so I guess that is a help.
The 3.6 BSG is 20 lb-ft more than the 2.0 BSG. It might help close the gap some.

Hopefully someday BSG tuning becomes possible, and we can mount the 5.7's 130 lb-ft BSG on the 2.0/3.6

Sponsored

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
I have the 2.0 with bsg (etorque) but, regardless of engine, the bsg is the same system. It only provides about 70ish lb/ft of additional torque to help move the vehicle from a dead stop. It cuts off at about 1800 rpm, so it's probably only actually active for the first couple tire rotations.

I am also a fan of torque over horsepower. Torque in the low to mid rpm range is what we utilize both on road and when crawling the trails. An engine needs to be screamed for its potential horsepower, which i have zero inclination to do on my daily grind.

After test driving a few dozen Rubicons to help decide between the 2.0 and the 3.6, I ended up ordering the 2.0. Every back to back comparison yielded the same result. Noticeably more low/mid range torque that gave a peppy feel without a lot of throttle input. The 3.6 felt rather sluggish at lower rpms, and needed a good deal more throttle input before it would wake up.
I have the same. Love it. Is actually only half a wheel turn.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I originally didn't want the etorque on the 3.6 but found a jeep that had every other option I wanted and wasn't going to pass on it over bsg. I love how it smooths out the start/stop and shifting performance is amazing. I figure all 2021 3.6's will have it so why not have it on my 2020.

Dan Richie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm probably going to order a 2021 JL 4dr soon and would like to get impression from members who have actually spent some time driving the 3.6 E-torque. I was planning on ordering the 3.0 diesel but that engine can't be ordered at this time and nobody knows when it will be available to order.

Let's keep this discussion about the performance of the engine, not MPG or reliability down the road. The V6 with without E-torque is only available on the manual tranny for 2021.

Like many here I prefer a good torque curve over high horsepower. Does the 3.6 E-torque do anything to improve city driving or off-road torque in the JL? I have read a lot of speculation but I want to hear from people that have actually driven one.

Thanks.
I have 300 miles on my new Jeep and the start-stop / e-torque stopped working.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have 300 miles on my new Jeep and the start-stop / e-torque stopped working.
Engine Stop-Start (ESS) and eTorque are NOT the same thing.

All JLs, with the exception of 392, come with ESS.

ESS has been notoriously finicky on JLs, regardless of model year, even brand new ones.

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Everything I've read about both engines seems to be down to taste. The 2.0 seems to be a little more fun to drive, but both engines seem to be comparable.

I went with the 3.6 for a few reasons. I didn't really want the extra complexity of a turbo. The cost for repairing turbos seem kinda high and then you have the fuel thing. My biggest and maybe the worst reason for picking the 3.6 was the sound. As someone that used to drive an iroc-z, I needed a sound with more meat to it then what an i4 could ever really provide.
Sponsored

Last edited: