Start/Stop opinion?

OP
OP

Rann61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Sometimes there are temporary restrictions. My dealer said I had to order different rims. I’ve also had dealers refuse to order certain colors because they thought it would be hard to sell if I backed out. You can definitely build a V6 with and automatic transmission though, at least in the Rubicon trim, I just did it.
CD359F82-020F-4304-89AD-572F16B3EF21.jpeg
I was told the eTorque is a mild hybrid which I do not want. I want the gasoline engine with no electric or hybrid.

FF74E4A3-8C48-420A-B9B3-6A8E6A180A9B.jpeg
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Your starter will only be used at the initial start-up and the start/stop after that will be pretty smooth (and won't be using the starter).
Ummm, the 2.0T does not have etorque.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I hate it and find it annoying and keep it off. With that said it is hardly noticeable compared to other vehicles I have owned or own

UnBilleted

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
ESS is hard to get used to if you haven’t had it previously. After a while you get accustomed to it. It’s ok if you’re stopped for a long light. If it’s a short light or stop and go it’s annoying and I’ll turn it off. I turn it off when off road too.

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
6mt, 2dr Willys Sport here...Auto Start/Stop (ASS) has no place in my Jeep. Day 1 I removed the hood sensor and no more ASS. Been that way over a year and no problem. I was afraid doing so would cause 2nd battery issues which leads to why I still like my YJ better.... it doesn't have all this computer/electronic bullshit.

Note: If it were ESS the symbol would be an "E" with the circle around it. JLs have an "A" with circle on the dash....(AutoStartStop)... the only asses in my jeep are my own and whichever half/semi decent looking chick's at the moment.... SINGLE......JEEP LIFE......TRULY FREE.... BE JEALOUS!! HAHAHA!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
6mt, 2dr Willys Sport here...Auto Start/Stop (ASS) has no place in my Jeep. Day 1 I removed the hood sensor and no more ASS. Been that way over a year and no problem. I was afraid doing so would cause 2nd battery issues which leads to why I still like my YJ better.... it doesn't have all this computer/electronic bullshit.

Note: If it were ESS the symbol would be an "E" with the circle around it. JLs have an "A" with circle on the dash....(AutoStartStop)... the only asses in my jeep are my own and whichever half/semi decent looking chick's at the moment.... SINGLE......JEEP LIFE......TRULY FREE.... BE JEALOUS!! HAHAHA!!!
Doing as you have done, "removed the hood sensor" is not a way that a JL/JT owner should deal with ESS.. Hope other's that read your post do not attempt to do/do the same.

There are very valid reasons why not to deal with ESS by disabling the hood sensor.
I'm not going to type the reasons out in this post.

If someone wants to deal with the ESS, button push.... in essence have a device that in essence, does the button push for you.... just buy and do the simple install of Forum Sponsor @SmartStopStart.com 's SmartStopStart unit.

Use that SmartStopStart unit until you eventually sell your JL/JT and then resell the SmartStopStart unit and re-coop most of what you spent for it..

Note: Avoid buying the knock off offering, Autostop Eliminator... do buy the original, SmartStopStart offering.

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eliminator-vs-smartstopstart-not-tazer.85812/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-2068404

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
ESS is hard to get used to if you haven’t had it previously. After a while you get accustomed to it. It’s ok if you’re stopped for a long light. If it’s a short light or stop and go it’s annoying and I’ll turn it off. I turn it off when off road too.
I know ESS is deactivated when in 4L on all Jeeps but may be still active in 4H?

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
The ESS on the 2019-2020 if optioned with the 2.0 turbo mild hybrid does have an extra 48 volt special battery located under the rear of the car encased in special metal box. If you have a 2021, I believe you could get the 2.0 with regular start stop which uses the normal starter and acts much like a normal start. That system also has a second battery, but it is smaller and located under the fuse box like some of the 2018's to my knowledge. There is a full hybrid model, and a mild hybrid model. The mild hybrid option on the 2.0 is the one that uses the smaller 48 volt battery under the rear of the car, while the full hybrid is the one that uses a large battery system located under the rear seat.

Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Curious what everyone’s opinion is on the start/stop function? This will be the first time I will own one and I’ve been wondering if they are bad on the starter and things like that. I really dislike that they have taking some options away from the Jeeps. You can no longer get a 6 cylinder in an automatic and can no longer order the Gorilla glass. I’m just curious what off roading will be like with a 4 cylinder and the start/stop function.
The SS works flawlessly on my '21 with 2.0T and 8spd auto. Doesn't kick in when the AC is running but in cooler weather it operates smoothly. Saves a little gas and eliminates a tiny bit of pollution so I kinda like it.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Doing as you have done, "removed the hood sensor" is not a way that a JL/JT owner should deal with ESS.. Hope other's that read your post do not attempt to do/do the same.

There are very valid reasons why not to deal with ESS by disabling the hood sensor.
I'm not going to type the reasons out in this post.

If someone wants to deal with the ESS, button push.... in essence have a device that in essence, does the button push for you.... just buy and do the simple install of Forum Sponsor @SmartStopStart.com 's SmartStopStart unit.

Use that SmartStopStart unit until you eventually sell your JL/JT and then resell the SmartStopStart unit and re-coop most of what you spent for it..

Note: Avoid buying the knock off offering, Autostop Eliminator... do buy the original, SmartStopStart offering.

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eliminator-vs-smartstopstart-not-tazer.85812/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-should-have-been-designed.13946/post-2068404

Please elaborate. If there are valid reasons I would like to hear them.

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
I have the non-eTorque 2L engine on a 2021 JLU - when the ESS is active, it’s hardly noticeable. But for whatever reason I did not try to investigate, the ESS is almost never in a »ready » state - After I drive a few hundreds miles on the freeway, ESS will be active for a few days, but I assume that after those two to three days the secondary battery has not enough juice anymore and the system never gets ready until I drive on the freeway again. No warning message, no CEL, nothing that the dealership notices during the regular service - it just does not kick-in. And I’m perfectly fine with that.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Took the liberty to add a couple words in your statement... as far as I know it is unproven that ESS does anything to help mpg, and is more green, all things considered vs. an engine without ESS in real world conditions.
Hey Mark:

I've come across a couple of sources (e.g. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...303/automatic-start-stop-useful-fuel-savings/) that site ESS systems as, in the aggregate, saving some gasoline.

I'd imagine at the individual use level that the amounts we're talking about are not only very small, but can be negated by driving habits that don't maximize fuel economy.

As far as "green" is concerned, as I suspect you appreciate, for something to truly be green the benefits it achieves can't be offset by any other negative environmental factors. To wit, if some ESS system is even saving fuel, we need to also consider not only the green footprint that went into making the ESS components, but, for example, what we do with the more battery footprint it requires (at least in a Wrangler) once those batteries need to be replaced.

If there's any "silver lining" in the cloud that is ESS it's that the technology transitions the consumer in phases towards electric vehicles, and like the pet rock, will eventually be a thing of the past we laugh about as ICE power plants are replaced with electric ones and ESS becomes a footnote in history.

Additionally, it is incentivizing auto makers to move to electric power plants given that there is only so much that can be done with the ICE paradigm, from ESS to regenerative braking, to computer regulated optimal combustion, to meet ever belt tightening EPA requirements for fleet MPGs. And those manufacturers taking the expensive plunge now can be incentivized by selling some of their carbon credits to those manufactures more behind the curve.
Sponsored