Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Corrosion reports here are awful. Truly sorry for those Jeepers dealing with this inexcusable, ongoing problem. For those of us with ‘21 Wranglers (or anyone not showing corrosion….yet), I’m using “Corrosion Block” on hinges and elsewhere. I own a boat here on Coronado (San Diego) and Corrosion Block is a must-have. I use it to stop advancement and/or block corrosion from starting on everything metal. It works. Available on Amazon.

EB120369-5DD9-4D88-BE9E-3970D7FBF291.png

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Corrosion reports here are awful. Truly sorry for those Jeepers dealing with this inexcusable, ongoing problem. For those of us with ‘21 Wranglers (or anyone not showing corrosion….yet), I’m using “Corrosion Block” on hinges and elsewhere. I own a boat here on Coronado (San Diego) and Corrosion Block is a must-have. I use it to stop advancement and/or block corrosion from starting on everything metal. It works. Available on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges EB120369-5DD9-4D88-BE9E-3970D7FBF291
How’d you apply it? Did you take your hinges off?

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
How’d you apply it? Did you take your hinges off?
Sprayed around topside of hinges (did not remove, yet). Product is an excellent penetrant and reports ‘safe for painted surfaces.’

Soon, I’ll remove the hinges and fabricate a gasket to rest between the hinge and door. Further sprayed Corrosion Block on underside where others have used Fluid Film (both products offer a good solution for underside protection).

Corrosion Block has a proven - works as advertised - track record for me in a harsh marine environment.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Sprayed around topside of hinges (did not remove, yet). Product is an excellent penetrant and reports ‘safe for painted surfaces.’

Soon, I’ll remove the hinges and fabricate a gasket to rest between the hinge and door. Further sprayed Corrosion Block on underside where others have used Fluid Film (both products offer a good solution for underside protection).

Corrosion Block has a proven - works as advertised - track record for me in a harsh marine environment.
Awesome, sounds like it should work great for you. Goodluck!

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I toured the local Jeep dealer this morning. They had about 5 used JLs on the lot and every single one of them had this issue to varying degrees. The worst I saw was on a punk’n Sahara that where the corrosion started from the hinge and carried about 3 inches inwards today’s the center of the door. Perhaps that’s why they’ve been traded in...
At this point, Jeeps might turn into oversized Razr's. Get rid of the doors / roof permanently and get skeleton doors. lol

Basically, that is what I will do if everything starts going to the crapper. Can't get corrosion if you don't have doors.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Stellantis/FCA should include a can of "corrosion block" in the glove box with every JL purchased. Pathetic.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is at the body shop for the paint corrosion on the hinges. Luckily, Jeep cares came through and they are covering the cost. I got an update today saying they ordered new hinges. But the corrosion is not the hinges themselves, or is the outer part also part of another hinge attached to the door? Thought it was part of the door. I attached a pic for reference.

497B394F-EFA7-4DC9-B2E5-DEA872E92E6C.jpeg

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a ‘21 red jlur and I don’t yet have any visible corrosion at all and I have also been wanting to unbolt the hinges from the doors and add custom thin rubber gaskets in between the door and hinge but many are rightfully saying that the hinge bolts are steel and are therefore still an issue and so the gaskets alone (or any other method of separation between door and hinge) will not stop the corrosion.

Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I have a ‘21 red jlur and I don’t yet have any visible corrosion at all and I have also been wanting to unbolt the hinges from the doors and add custom thin rubber gaskets in between the door and hinge but many are rightfully saying that the hinge bolts are steel and are therefore still an issue and so the gaskets alone (or any other method of separation between door and hinge) will not stop the corrosion.
I wonder if you could use a clear wrap / sticker between the door and the hinge (On the unpainted part of the door). It would be relatively watertight. You can use Plasti Dip Rubber Coat under the hinge.

I don't think water would be able to travel under the wrap / sticker? Although I've never wrapped anything before. Just a thought.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
My Jeep is at the body shop for the paint corrosion on the hinges. Luckily, Jeep cares came through and they are covering the cost. I got an update today saying they ordered new hinges. But the corrosion is not the hinges themselves, or is the outer part also part of another hinge attached to the door? Thought it was part of the door. I attached a pic for reference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges 497B394F-EFA7-4DC9-B2E5-DEA872E92E6C
took my 18 JLUR in today for bubbling in the same area as yours, and along the edge of the hood. They took pics and are sending it in. Said they’ve had a ton of jeeps coming in lately for this. Told me it should be no issue getting repaired.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges AB56ADC9-7CC1-44E1-9650-66C8C9A45322

7B84A85D-6302-4C8B-910E-FF98F10C49AB.jpeg