Sponsored

3.6 WITH Etorque vs. 2.0 Turbo (no Etorque)

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I now own both. Still the 2.0, hands down. Even at full sing in the rpms. I don’t think my 2.0 eTorque is a freak. shrug

The v6 idles rougher and is more noisy in general.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove over 100 different wranglers for the express purpose of comparing the 2.0 and 3.6. Plus, it was just plain fun. On long Island, at sea level, not once did the 3.6 feel more spirited than the 2.0. The 3.6's consistently felt sluggish without a heavy foot and ample rpms. As a mechanic, it felt like it had to work harder whereas the 2.0's low and mid range torque did a great job of masking the actual weight of the vehicle. Even with over 4" of lift and 38x13.5's, that off idle torque advantage has helped to push the need of a regearing far down the priority list.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 WITH Etorque vs. 2.0 Turbo (no Etorque) 20201223_143757

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove over 100 different wranglers for the express purpose of comparing the 2.0 and 3.6. Plus, it was just plain fun. On long Island, at sea level, not once did the 3.6 feel more spirited than the 2.0. The 3.6's consistently felt sluggish without a heavy foot and ample rpms. As a mechanic, it felt like it had to work harder whereas the 2.0's low and mid range torque did a great job of masking the actual weight of the vehicle. Even with over 4" of lift and 38x13.5's, that off idle torque advantage has helped to push the need of a regearing far down the priority list.
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6 WITH Etorque vs. 2.0 Turbo (no Etorque) 20201223_143757
This is good to hear. Been wondering and debating on going with 37s but didn’t want to have to regear any time soon. I did it myself on my JL sport and it’s a bit of work. Didn’t want to have to on my Rubicon.

Good looking Jeep!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I test drove both engines here in Denver. I did not notice enough of a difference with the turbo to make me go that direction. However, I have never driven a 3.6 without the eTorque for a reference on the difference between the 3.6 without it. Would be curious to know if anyone has driven both to know if there is much difference between the 3.6 offerings.

My decision on the 3.6 was more long term. I expect at some point after the warranty runs out I may supercharge it as I did my 4.0 in my TJ. It is a fairly bolt on process and one I enjoyed working on and was very happy with the results. I also did not like the sound of the 4 banger turbo... Had to really wind it up and it sounded more like a ricer than a Jeep.
A good friend owns a JLR 3.6 ESS automatic. I own a JLR 3.6 eTorque automatic. The most obvious difference is how the start-stop systems feel. The eTorque has a smoother less noticeable start from a stop. With eTorque you can feel a bit of extra torque right when you start off the line. I think the assist for the first 1/2 tire rotation for something. After moving a few feet from a stop both feel identical to me.

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I had the V6 on my 2013, but my 2021 has a 2.0 Turbo. I really like the power the turbo has when you floor it, it will set you back on the seat. The 3.6 is quieter when cold, but I sort of like my 2.0 turbo better…

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I had the V6 on my 2013, but my 2021 has a 2.0 Turbo. I really like the power the turbo has when you floor it, it will set you back on the seat. The 3.6 is quieter when cold, but I sort of like my 2.0 turbo better…
I am assuning the JK was auto also? Both a 3.6 JL and 2.0 JL are quicker than a JK. Can't really compare a 3.6 JK because the JL automatic transmissions are much inproved over the JKs. The ZF 8-speed automatic is a game changer. I agree the 2.0's extra torque is very noticable. It is a fun engine and a excellent match to the ZF 8-speed.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuning the JK was auto also? Both a 3.6 JL and 2.0 JL are quicker than a JK. Can't really compare a 3.6 JK because the JL automatic transmissions are much inproved over the JKs. The ZF 8-speed automatic is a game changer. I agree the 2.0's extra torque is very noticable. It is a fun engine and a excellent match to the ZF 8-speed.
Yeah, plus he's talking about a 2013 3.6. A couple years before that engine went through quite a revision. About the only similarity to the JL is the silhouette of the vehicle.

Sponsored

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
If you have plan on going with the 2.0T then I would recommend a pedal commander. It completely changes how the vehicle feels. I also installed a Racechip piggyback tuner and aFE high flow air filter. This little Jeep rips. Throw it in 4wheel high and brake boost it up to 3K RPM it will nail into your seat when leaving a light. Yes… I drive my Jeep like a sports car 😁

Last edited:

Orpheum

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited
I've been struggling with this decision for a while as well. Today, I drove 3 Unlimiteds - diesel, 2.0T and the 3.6 e-Torque...in that order.

After driving them, the choice was clear.. The 3.6 e-Torque felt and sounded best. Just paid my deposit at Gupton for a Rubicon Unlimited in Graphite. The waiting begins.

Last edited:

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I've been struggling with this decision for a while as well. Today, I drove 3 Unlimiteds - diesel, 2.0T and the 3.6 e-Torque...in that order.

After driving them, the choice was clear.. The 3.6 e-Torque felt and sounded best. Just paid my deposit at Gupton for a Rubicon Unlimited in Graphite. The waiting begins.
I was thinking that engine. I drove them both at different points over the last couple years. Guys at northridge 4x4 said hands down 3.6 e-torque. i think you can manipulate the engine more than a 2.0. I really dont like any of them that much. The diesel is silly with that detergent hole that has to be filled. the 3.6 is old and the 2.0 is a fiat spyder not a rubicon. The 392 pulls you off the road. Waiting for the sweet spot which might just be a 2 door wrangler with a soft top.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
the 2.0 is a fiat spyder not a rubicon.
The Fiat 124 is a 1.4 Multiair. You're thinking of the Alfa Romeo Giulia & Stelvio, which have the Multiair version of the GME 2.0.

And yes, the 2.0 does belong in a Rubicon just as much as the other available options.

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Ok, Im convinced I made the right choice. I think ford made us 2.0 skeptics even more skeptical when the twin turbo 2.6 bronco came out. I wish there was a base model 392.
Sponsored