dude allegedly gets 2021 3.6 A/T with NO etorque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Lol so he got ESS instead. Hardly something to brag about.
It's also hilarious when people buy ESS to avoid all the complex electronics of the eTorque, and then install piggy back systems to kill ESS.
Does ETorque not have ESS? If that's not the case, which it wasn't when I ordered my JL, then you're both being fictitious. Likely deliberately.
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Does ETorque not have ESS? If that's not the case, which it wasn't when I ordered my JL, then you're both being fictitious. Likely deliberately.
False. When someone in Jeep world says ESS, they’re taking about the motorcycle battery setup. Jeep itself calls this ESS. eTorque has auto start stop but it’s not commonly referred to as ESS.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I'll keep laughing at all the eTorque worry. Electric motors are super simple, there isn't really anything to break. It helps with low RPM and startup, where the most wear and tear happens. I did have my first hybrid battery fail, but my Jeep was on the lot for a year before I bought it, no issues since.
It's also hilarious when people buy ESS to avoid all the complex electronics of the eTorque, and then install piggy back systems to kill ESS.
It isn't the electric motor. It is the battery under the Jeep with cooling lines running too and from. The one that already failed once on your own Jeep :facepalm: The more times you start your engine without any oil pressure, the sooner it will wear out, period.

What is funny is thinking you are already "out of the woods" with the system. It is the long term that concerned me. That and actually using the Jeep off road where there is substantial risk to damaging the low hanging components.

Is this what you claims adds "complexity"? Compared to the e-torque system? Yeah, that is funny.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...cts/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-autostop-eliminator

All you have to do is press the provided button on the dash, no need for any additional complexity...

Start stop systems are stupid to begin with. The less complex and easier to defeat the better.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
If you’re going off road where that’s a concern, you’d have skid plates.
When the BSG battery died, I was still driving the Jeep, it just didn’t shift as smooth.
And yes, adding piggyback systems to manipulate onboard functions adds complexity and points of failure. Will the Jeep still operate when that unit fails?

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
False. When someone in Jeep world says ESS, they’re taking about the motorcycle batter setup. Jeep itself calls this ESS. eTorque has auto start stop but it’s not commonly referred to as ESS.

I like ASS.

And yes, adding piggyback systems to manipulate onboard functions adds complexity and points of failure. Will the Jeep still operate when that unit fails?
There is absolutely nothing complex about the Genesis dual battery set up. Having dual batteries reduces the chance of being stranded and is not a point of failure in any way.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you’re going off road where that’s a concern, you’d have skid plates.
When the BSG battery died, I was still driving the Jeep, it just didn’t shift as smooth.
So you are saying that you haven't really looked to see how those components are arranged or protected... The skid plate might be good for one bump, might not. How many times can you submerge it? How will repeated winters affect it as it gets packed in snow and ice? I wish you good luck with the system but trying to pass it off as "better" in any way is starting to make you look a bit foolish.

Yes, if the "unit" I posted fails the Jeep will still run. It's only function is to remember the last setting of the ESS defeat button. You didn't bother to check that out either before commenting, clearly.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
So you are saying that you haven't really looked to see how those components are arranged or protected... The skid plate might be good for one bump, might not. How many times can you submerge it? How will repeated winters affect it as it gets packed in snow and ice? I wish you good luck with the system but trying to pass it off as "better" in any way is starting to make you look a bit foolish.

Yes, if the "unit" I posted fails the Jeep will still run. It's only function is to remember the last setting of the ESS defeat button. You didn't bother to check that out either before commenting, clearly.
Ah, we’re playing the goal post game. First it was “hangs down, gonna get ripped off offroad” now you’re assuming those electronics are somehow more susceptible to water than any other electronics in the vehicle.
Any actual evidence to back up the fear, or are these just wild assumptions?
eTorque is better than ESS. Smooth, quiet engagement is better. Will you seriously argue a harsh starter is better?

I get it, new things are scary until you understand them. But unless you have any actual widespread evidence to back up your fears, it’s just silly.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I'll keep laughing at all the eTorque worry. Electric motors are super simple, there isn't really anything to break. It helps with low RPM and startup, where the most wear and tear happens. I did have my first hybrid battery fail, but my Jeep was on the lot for a year before I bought it, no issues since.
The wear occurs when the crankshaft stops and starts. Getting ESS and defeating it so the engine stays idling is the only way to limit wear on the hydrodynamic main and rod bearings.

Those preferring ESS don't want any stop/start behavior at all.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Ah, we’re playing the goal post game. First it was “hangs down, gonna get ripped off offroad” now you’re assuming those electronics are somehow more susceptible to water than any other electronics in the vehicle.
Any actual evidence to back up the fear, or are these just wild assumptions?
eTorque is better than ESS. Smooth, quiet engagement is better. Will you seriously argue a harsh starter is better?

I get it, new things are scary until you understand them. But unless you have any actual widespread evidence to back up your fears, it’s just silly.
Just trying to get you to understand some thing clearly above your pay grade son. Show me the other electronics at axles level like this battery... How are they "wild assumptions"? Just a preponderance of caution when going into the back country because I have seen pilgrims like you get killed based on bad decisions and inexperience.

I simply push the button that shuts of the ESS so the only time the starter motor runs is when I am starting the vehicle. You told us a few posts back how utterly reliable electric motors are and how we shouldn't be worried about them, has that changed Mr. Goalpost?

Until I understand them... nice try again son. I have shown more understanding of the systems in question in one sentence than you have in several posts. I also mentioned that the "widespread evidence" you seek is going to take some time. Since my wife insists on keeping this car around for a long time, I took that into consideration. Silly, I know...

Sponsored

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Just trying to get you to understand some thing clearly above your pay grade son. Show me the other electronics at axles level like this battery... How are they "wild assumptions"? Just a preponderance of caution when going into the back country because I have seen pilgrims like you get killed based on bad decisions and inexperience.

I simply push the button that shuts of the ESS so the only time the starter motor runs is when I am starting the vehicle. You told us a few posts back how utterly reliable electric motors are and how we shouldn't be worried about them, has that changed Mr. Goalpost?

Until I understand them... nice try again son. I have shown more understanding of the systems in question in one sentence than you have in several posts. I also mentioned that the "widespread evidence" you seek is going to take some time. Since my wife insists on keeping this car around for a long time, I took that into consideration. Silly, I know...
lmao ok buddy. All that expert real estate experience really comes into play here.
You have AC? You know that could seize out in the back country and leave you stranded.
Air bags? Hit a bump wrong and those could deploy, sending shrapnel into the cabin.
Windows? Those can shatter, severing an artery.
Computer controlled anything? Space rays could leave you stranded.

I thought the name looked familiar, you are the guy that just has a Jeep because his wife wants one. That makes the all even more hilarious.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
lmao ok buddy. All that expert real estate experience really comes into play here.
You have AC? You know that could seize out in the back country and leave you stranded.
Air bags? Hit a bump wrong and those could deploy, sending shrapnel into the cabin.
Windows? Those can shatter, severing an artery.
Computer controlled anything? Space rays could leave you stranded.

I thought the name looked familiar, you are the guy that just has a Jeep because his wife wants one. That makes the all even more hilarious.
Not "My Jeep" at all. Jeeps are great girls cars, you wouldn't catch me driving one. Thanks for stalking my profile though, you can be sure that fully encompasses my life experiences. I have organized and led over a dozen off road events for the MB G-Wagen owners and Porsche Club of America in Moab and the San Juans so you do not need to worry about my experience, I actually have some....

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
The Willys comes standard without eTourqe on the V6. When I ordered mine the salesperson came back with the initial ordering sheet for me to confirm and it read the same way.
I was confused so I pulled up the order guide and that is the default V6 engine choice. I’m going to shut off ESS, so I stuck with the little aux battery and saved the money.
I don’t know if that will end up being a good or bad decision, I guess I’ll find out.
The online B&P and order guide conflict in this situation.
When I was looking at and building a Jeep, it was an extra 1,500.00 for the eTourge, with auto trans.
The extra 3,000.00, for the etourge v6, made the diesel engine a bargain.
My 2019 has ESS, which with the push of a button, is turned off, you can't do that with eTourge, as far as I know.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.