Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Opt for the manual transmission and avoid both ;)
i really like the auto. its a great transmission. ive done offroading before with a manual trans. not a big fan myself. my wife likes to drive the jeep to work every now and then and she has quite a commute in heavy LA traffic. her enthusiasm for the new jeep is necessary to make this happen lol. at first she thought it was a waste when i was looking at buying a TJ. once she test drove a JL, and after we bought one, she was in love and was in full support of the mods i started doing. ill leave the manual to the sports cars (gt500 in the garage).
Sponsored

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
I ordered a 3.6 L with e-torque.
My other jeep has a 3.6 L and have not had any problems.
It is a great proven motor that FCA uses on multiple cars.
Test drove both 2.0 and 3.6. Liked the 3.6 L alot more
Not a fan of turbo.

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
looking to hopefully place an order for a new 2021 Rubi in the next couple of days. still going over which options etc...

i was able to test drive an e-torque V6 yesterday but the dealer had ZERO 4 bangers. they only had one Rubi left on the lot for sale. so havent been able to drive one yet and everyone i know has a V6 lol.

my wife says she doesnt want a 4 banger jeep lol. i told her it has more torque and its no extra charge! as opposed to what, $1700 for the V6! when we bought our 2018 the 2.0T was $2k extra lol.

i know this is a super controversial topic akin to debating white privilege and racism. i know some of you have had both. i havent noticed any complaints about the 2.0T, that ive seen... unfortunately the V6 has the e-torque generator thing... dont know if that is a real issue or not. its stupid how they keep bouncing back and forth with these engines.

what are the pros and cons of each. which do you prefer and why? why do you prefer it over the other engine? diesel and 392 are not options lol and we'll getting the 8spd auto only. love that tranny (did i just say that?? 😳 )
I was 110% opposed to the 2.0 as everyone convinced me it was 'unreliable' and who would want only 4 cylinders in their Jeep? (stupid mentality I know)
In the last 4 days I have test driven the V6 E torque and 2.0T non-e torque multiple times in all 4 Door Sahara and Rubicon Wranglers.
The V6 is obviously a good engine it has been used for years. I liked the way it drove in the JK I drove a bit ago and I liked it in the JL. The only caveat is I felt that it needed a bit of a heavier foot to scoot. I am not saying it is slow but pulling out of the dealer onto the main highway required a deeper dip into the throttle then I thought I would need to.
When I drove the 2.0, it felt like it had more instantaneous low end power because that is how turbo engines are. The second I started driving the 2.0 it felt smoother and the right fit for said Jeep. I know the V6 has e torque but I still felt that the 2.0 is the better engine for me so that is what I will be ordering in my 4 Door JL.
I can not say which engine is best for you because some people think the V6 E torque feels faster just my 0.02 cents.
Also E torque components have a longer warranty than 5yr/60k ( I think its 8 years I dont remember exactly) so that should give some peace of mind.
Cheers to whatever you decide.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Following this. Just ordered my 9th Wrangler, 2nd JL. Ordered my first JL in late 2017, took delivery in 2018. Only engine available at that time was the V6. Loved it but again, no choice. This time around I have several options. E-Torque V6 isn't worth the upcharge to me. Just my 2 cents. Should take delivery in early June and have a 4 hour drive home. We'll see.....
Sponsored

Last edited: