Sponsored

STRUGGLING - 2.0 Turbo vs V6 AND Manual vs Auto

Whicch drivetrain combination for 35"-37" tires on a JL Unlimited Rubicon?

• Total voters

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
All the recent post have confirmed that 4.10 gearing is a necessity to make the NA v6 manual livable at high elevations. Im glad to see everyone has Rubicons. My experience living at 7,000 ft and playing at 10K ft in a penastar v6 manual was with 3.73 gears... it was no fun at all.. almost comical the lag and lack of power on 35s... I finally joined the 4.10 club and enjoying life. 😉 the Turbo inline4 is an added benefit to turn the new 37s and still get 19mpgs avg. I modified the exhaust and got it tuned exactly how I like it. It doesn't sound as awesome as the v8 but then again neither does the v6...

My life is good... really gooood 👍 - Nachooo
Sponsored

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
My Pick would be 3.6 auto.
It has been tried and tested.
And it Works!

BubbaJeep

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The torque of the 2.0 is the difference. Drive them both back to back. acceleration of the 2.0 is very noticeable over the V6.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The torque of the 2.0 is the difference. Drive them both back to back. acceleration of the 2.0 is very noticeable over the V6.
A few months of necro but why not.

I came from a 4.6L Chevy V8 and was hesitant to drop down to the 2.0L I4, so I went to a dealership and drove both the 2.0L and the 3.6L, back to back.

The 3.6L felt very much like my ~15yo 4.6L V8 felt. The power is there, but it took a second or two to find it, it seemed. I was also very *aware* of the shifts, and they felt like the Jeep was constantly trying to decide whether or not to actually shift.

The 2.0L, on the other hand, felt very peppy - almost instant. Shifts nearly disappeared as I felt like they actually happened at the right second, as opposed to the Jeep debating whether or not to actually shift, if that makes sense.

Went with the 2.0L, and have owned it for ~4 months now - nearly 6K miles thanks to a few early road trips. Can confirm that it feels really great, both onroad and off. Cruising at 70 MPH, it has no problem quickly getting up to 80+ if I need to blow past someone. And it still averages 20 MPG.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’ve owned the 2.0 for 18 months. Love this drive train except for the nasty sounds it makes when first starting in the morning. Peppy and plenty of power on the highway or at high altitude. Gas mileage has been about 17.5 mph overall with 35s.

BubbaJeep

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
A few months of necro but why not.

I came from a 4.6L Chevy V8 and was hesitant to drop down to the 2.0L I4, so I went to a dealership and drove both the 2.0L and the 3.6L, back to back.

The 3.6L felt very much like my ~15yo 4.6L V8 felt. The power is there, but it took a second or two to find it, it seemed. I was also very *aware* of the shifts, and they felt like the Jeep was constantly trying to decide whether or not to actually shift.

The 2.0L, on the other hand, felt very peppy - almost instant. Shifts nearly disappeared as I felt like they actually happened at the right second, as opposed to the Jeep debating whether or not to actually shift, if that makes sense.

Went with the 2.0L, and have owned it for ~4 months now - nearly 6K miles thanks to a few early road trips. Can confirm that it feels really great, both onroad and off. Cruising at 70 MPH, it has no problem quickly getting up to 80+ if I need to blow past someone. And it still averages 20 MPG.
YEP!!!!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Me too, 2.0 auto (2 door JL Willys), V6 auto (JT Rubicon), V6 manual (4 door JL Sahara). All have qualities I like and I think I made the best choice for their intended purposes.
My wife’s is a 2020 Sahara 3.6 eTorque with auto; mine is a 2021 Rubicon 2.0T with auto. I traded in my 2018 Sport 2.0T eTorque with auto for the Rubi.

Both are great rides. I don’t much notice the absence of eTorque on my 2021, but the addition of the eTorque to my wife’s 3.6 is a noticeable improvement.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

DEFINLTEY get what everyone votes for on the internet because the internet is the most trustworthy place where everyone has YOUR best interests at heart. I usually go on reddit to get advice from the intelligent folk on there and make my decision based on what they tell me to do. :LOL:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

DEFINLTEY get what everyone votes for on the internet because the internet is the most trustworthy place where everyone has YOUR best interests at heart. I usually go on reddit to get advice from the intelligent folk on there and make my decision based on what they tell me to do. :LOL:
Madlad here necros a year-old thread just to troll.

The internet is an amazing place.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Madlad here necros a year-old thread just to troll.

The internet is an amazing place.
oops! I guess I should start looking at dates instead of clicking everything and posting....

I blame the bottom of the forum section of "Similar threads", I just click those things. I click EVERYTHING, it's a wonder I don't have more pop ups and spyware on this laptop...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It's addictive right?? haha
Sponsored