V6 e-torque vs 2.0 Turbo non-etorque

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I've owned an 18 3.6 non and now a 21 2.0 non. I actually prefer the 2.0 but it's basically a coin toss. The 3.6 maybe had a little more umph at higher speed? But the 2.0 seems torquier in city driving. I also like how it sounds like a tractor hah. If I had the 2.0 first I would have got the 3.6 now just to switch things up. Both are winners.
Sponsored

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
The 2.0 definitely doesn't feel sluggish from a stop. It has plenty of "get up and go". Now, if you are running 35's and haven't regeared yet, it may feel sluggish.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Drove two rentals with the 2.0T and though the midrange had great pull, the motor sounded terrible. The other rental was the V6 and it was smooth and pleasant to drive. I opted V6 and have no regrets. Happy motoring whatever you choose.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I drove a 2018 with the 3.6 for two years. Then I got a 2020 with a 2.0T. Both non e-torque.
I am amazed by how much more powerful the 2.0 feels. Itā€™s more spirited, more fun to drive and feels almost like a diesel engine with how it throws you back in your seat.
I was skeptical before I bought it, now Iā€™m convinced itā€™s a better motor.
That is the turbo you are feeling. Add a turbo to the 3.6 and you will feel it as well. Remove the turbo from the 2.0 and you will be extremely disappointed.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The 2.0 and 3.6 have almost identical power numbers that behave differently. The 2.0 is torquey and drops out at higher RPMs while the 3.6 is linear and better at higher revs. Different strokes for different folks.

Sponsored

JRINGO77

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
One thing that steered me away from the 2.0 is how many low mileage JLs I saw for sale here in Houston compared to the 3.6 when I was considering a pre-owned. Probably 2 out of 3 and they did seem to sit longer than the 3.6 as well. As this forum illustrates people seem to be pretty happy with that engine but then why so many getting traded in etc? I interpreted this as people didn't like it after living with it for a while. Coincidence?

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
This is one of those debates where there will never be a clear winner since there are so many variables and opinions šŸ˜Œ there are always pros and cons, but I'll add my 2ļæ .

Why to get a 2.0T
  • If you are at a higher altitude, forced induction benefits you. N/A motors will feel sluggish unless you get a tune
  • You drive longer drives, especially highway - better fuel economy
  • You don't keep your vehicles for 10 years/long term
Why not to get a 2.0T
  • You do a lot of short trips/do not get the engine to operating temperatures
  • You don't want to put premium into your vehicle (this is more important later on once your engine gets wear/carbon buildup and is more prone to pre-detonation)
  • You live in an area with poor gasoline quality
  • You drive in really dusty conditions - not sure how good the air cleaner is on this platform
  • You plan on towing - towing on a 2.0T is "doable" but puts a lot of strain on the engine
I work in the automotive industry and see a lot of behind the scenes stuff. Putting in the 2.0T engine into a platform isn't purely to benefit the customer, it's for emission requirements and is a good solution for "short term" (aka until warranty expires). Several manufacturers have their own versions of 2.0T to replace 6 cylinder engines.

Toyota/Lexus is the "standard" for long term reliability. You'll also notice they do not offer turbo options on most of their vehicles. They are able to get around emission standards by having a healthy hybrid lineup to offset everything - they invested early and reap the benefits now.

You will inevitably have to replace more parts in a turbo drivetrain. The bearings will wear out at some point, intercooler will fail at some point, wastegate will fail at some point, you will have carbon buildup due to the nature of direct injection etc. Not to say they're not reliable, but they require different services vs the 3.6 and have different failure points.

I have a 2014 BMW X1 with a 2.0T with 120,000km/75,000 miles - it has been fine so far but I'm sure something will break eventually (it's a BMW after all šŸ˜‚) but overall so far it has been reliable.

Asuriyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR (6MT)
Here's the thing. The V6 will most likely be phased out.

If the V6 is phased out, parts will eventually run dry and will be expensive to fix. The I4 is also in the 4Xe so, its pretty obvious what motor Jeep will be using going forward.
Highly unlikely considering the 3.6 is also the base engine in the Grand Cherokee, RAM, Durango, etc...

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Your wife or you? If it's her Jeep, don't get one.
both our jeep. We both drive it and we both pay for it. Its ultimately up to me but happy wife...

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im leaning towards the V6.
Funny that people say e-torque is overly complex but imo the turbo system is lol. Turbo and DI vs a generator for an alternator. Theyre both more complex than a standard n/a motor.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Funny that people say e-torque is overly complex but imo the turbo system is lol. Turbo and DI vs a generator for an alternator. Theyre both more complex than a standard n/a motor.
Opt for the manual transmission and avoid both ;)

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Highly unlikely considering the 3.6 is also the base engine in the Grand Cherokee, RAM, Durango, etc...
The 3.6 is a huge money maker for FCA. Pretty sure they will only phase it out if it is government mandated/they need to "restructure" their spending.

Out of all the automotive manufacturers, FCA is the worst for average lineup GHG emissions. They also spend/buy the most renewable energy credits (mostly from Tesla) to minimize fines.

When I bought my 18, a majority of new Jeeps on the lot were 2.0t.
This is to help reduce their lineup emissions. As time goes by, there are more strict regulations. I'm sure you can tell FCA doesn't exactly have the most fuel efficient vehicles (V6s, V8s, supercharged V8s)

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
This.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I just hit 2,000 miles on my 3.6 w/eTorque and the MPG's are climbing. Probably a combination of the switch in fuel from winter to summer. I haven't changed my commute but I have gone from 16.5 to 18.5 mpg with a stock JLUR. That is about 3 mpg better than I was getting with my 2013 6-speed I was driving before this. The auto is probably the main contributor, so I don't know how much the eTorque is helping.... I will say that all my previous Jeeps were manual, but this auto with the 3.6 is really nice to drive.

Others have pointed out a lot of the pros and cons and why they choose a particular engine. I test drove back to back the 3.6 and 2.0 four different times. It was really close. In the end I went what was familiar to me. It is kinda like when you go to buy a tv, at the store when looking at all the displays you can't choose... they all look good. But when you get home you are only starring at that one screen, and it works just fine! Same thing with either engine, it will do just what you need it to do! Enjoy the new Jeep.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Superlative fuel mileage -- 28 being my high average -- with excellent road manners and performance when paired with the compulsory 850RE 8-speed (which is excellent in its own right.)
Impressive mileage. Should be expected. I was also impressed with the 2.0, but wanted a standard. The 3.6 and standard JLR were never available to test drive when I was in the market. Moving over to the 4xe Forum, they are getting nowhere near your mileage when the 2.0 has to kick in. One said 14-16 mpg on highway. Most are happy with 20. That extra 1000 lbs of battery has to account for something. Also, the electronics are causing a lot of trouble. Looks like you got the sweet package. Happy wheeling.
Sponsored