Sponsored

STRUGGLING - 2.0 Turbo vs V6 AND Manual vs Auto

Whicch drivetrain combination for 35"-37" tires on a JL Unlimited Rubicon?

• Total voters

DingyHarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes yes yes - I know there has been much discussion on the topic. I've read all the threads but am really struggling with my decision. I am ready to pull the trigger but can't make up my mind regarding the powertrain. I love manual vehicles and have owned many. I'm not opposed to the manual in the Wrangler. But I keep reading how great the auto is for larger tires. I plan to put on at least 35" tires on a JL Rubicon Unlimited. My understanding is that the auto with the 2.0T will handle larger tires better than a manual V6. Of course, theres also the option to go with an auto with the V6. I will use the vehicle for 80% on road traveling and 20% off road environment. I won't be taking it to moab or anything but will be wheeling for fun mostly below 4K ft altitude. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Paging Dr. Brett @rustyshakelford

Welcome to the community!

Brett is very active around here, so maybe that might get him to weigh in on this for you. He's quite knowledgeable and comes across as a super cool guy.
Thanks for the shoutout. Hereā€™s my take. I like simple. The battery, coolant lines and everything else was not something I personally would want in a Jeep we use. I bought a 19 rubi 3.6 6 speed. Wife loved it but didnā€™t want to shift gears so we sold her 4wd 2018 tahoe and she now has a 19 rubi 3.6 auto.

Both have 37s and 3.5ā€ lift. Mine has 5.13 gears and averages 16-17 mpg and hers has 4.10s and somehow averages 18-19. Both have plenty of power. Have had several 2.0s in and they turn the 37s great as well. However, my favorite combo is the 3.6 and auto. Love my manual but the auto is easy to drive, runs great, terrific mileage and doesnā€™t ā€œneedā€ regearing with 37s.

2.0 is peppy but when youā€™re under them for an extended amount of time you really have a chance to study it. Itā€™s to busy under there for me with the additional complicated systems. Jeep has done a great job making it work but thereā€™s a simpler option out there

Brett

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I have driven a 2.0T and a 3.6 both in auto. On road, hands down the 2.0 would put the 3.6 to shame especially up here at altitude. I didnt get to drive them offroad so I cant speak to how each would feel in that environment.

I think its also important to point out perception vs. reality of off road/on road use. Assume you put 10K miles on your Jeep every year, are you sure you are really going to do 2,000 offroad miles? I use to think I was in the same boat as you 80% on road and 20% off but then I did the math and just getting to and from the trails around here upsets that split. Food for thought.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I know there are many that are MUCH more knowledgeable than me on this topic so I am by no way going to say.... ā€œlisten because I am an expertā€

In my short time of having my ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0 I have been very pleased. Just returned to Southern Indiana from Eastern Tennessee.

Took delivery on 9/5. Added 2ā€ lift, 20ā€ wheels with 35ā€ tires: 9/10.

Already have over 2k miles on it. AMAZING. Good mix of road conditions. Back roads, State Highway and Interstate driving. Overall mpg average setting at 20.2.

The majority of my driving will be backroads, highways and byways.

Good luck!!!!
B874E0D6-A255-475B-A024-52DA3DDBC305.jpeg

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
After owning both, I wouldnā€™t buy the V6 again. The turbo is so much more powerful and fun to drive, for a Jeep. Remember though, Iā€™m at 7k feet. The turbo just does a great job of taking care of big tires. Off-road I feel no difference. Both engines are excellent. All that being said, you canā€™t go wrong with the 6. Itā€™s a great engine.

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
If the reliability holds up and there are numerous turbos that go over 150k miles reliably, that will be my next jeep. Really enjoyed the motor on my rental...but I chose the v6 manual. I keep vehicles for a long time, just too new to jump on the bandwagon for me.

Captain Obvious

First Name
Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2 door
If you really love driving a manual, consider that you might be overthinking it, and just get the manual. If this is the situation you're in, you'll always have that itch in your head... "maybe I should have gotten the manual". Only when you're trying to eat a sub sandwich, change the radio station, and answer the phone all at the same time will you think, "maybe I should have gotten the auto."

The ZF is a great auto - have one in my Ram and had one in my Durango, but... it's still an auto. Personally, I'm fine with either, but my wife is a purist and has an extremely strong preference for a manual, as in she's said no to vehicles in the past simply because you couldn't get one in it. So, we ordered the manual. We sold her 2016 Camaro SS to get the Jeep mainly because it was an auto and she wanted a manual.... and to get back in a Jeep as long as she was getting a new car anyway.

For the upcharge of the auto, you could get the manual regeared and have your stock ratios back - the cost of the final gear change pretty much makes the cost a wash.

And that is my 1.55 cents after taxes.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
If you really love driving a manual, consider that you might be overthinking it, and just get the manual. If this is the situation you're in, you'll always have that itch in your head... "maybe I should have gotten the manual". Only when you're trying to eat a sub sandwich, change the radio station, and answer the phone all at the same time will you think, "maybe I should have gotten the auto."

The ZF is a great auto - have one in my Ram and had one in my Durango, but... it's still an auto. Personally, I'm fine with either, but my wife is a purist and has an extremely strong preference for a manual, as in she's said no to vehicles in the past simply because you couldn't get one in it. So, we ordered the manual. We sold her 2016 Camaro SS to get the Jeep mainly because it was an auto and she wanted a manual.... and to get back in a Jeep as long as she was getting a new car anyway.

For the upcharge of the auto, you could get the manual regeared and have your stock ratios back - the cost of the final gear change pretty much makes the cost a wash.

And that is my 1.55 cents after taxes.
It's the sub sammich that is messing you up. Try parking to eat. :P

Sponsored

OP
OP

DingyHarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for all the input. And now I hear that Friday they will be announcing the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. Grrrrr.