Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Folks, by the time this Bronco hits the pavement Jeep will leak out a TON of hints and teasers on upcoming models. This alone will halt folks from making a knee jerk decision to jump over to Ford. Now here’s the big thing AESTHETICS! I don’t care what the Bronco is capable of....If consumers deem the Jeep a better looking off road ride( which it clearly is ), looks WIN! This will simply come down to personal taste. Jeep knew everything this Bronco was going to be . The great thing is, Jeep doesn’t have to do much to move the needle.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Just saw the specs for a Bronco and I am comfortable to say that I will stay with team Jeep. ...
Neither has won my purchase yet.

The V8 Wrangler might be able to sway me, but honestly I'd have preferred one in the 4-5L range.

I still need to decide of my next vehicle could be "just a car" and build a buggy instead. In which case Bronco might win out.

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
I will probably consider getting one of the pimped out versions here in a couple of years once I see what the next Jeep has in store. $60k for a 2-Door launch edition Bronco seems steep though! I did a very minor amount of consulting on the project so its fun to see my work in the flesh finally. I think they did a great job and once employee pricing is available, it will be interesting to price one out. I'll trade the JLUR and keep the JTR.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
The soccer mom and mall crawler crowds are the only reason Wrangler still exists. Rock crawlers are a tiny part and I mean microscopic part of Wrangler sales. Without the mall crawlers buying in mass there would be no point to even selling Wrangler. Guess who Jeep is going to target first?

Jeep has been targeting the soccer mom and mall crawler group ever sense the four door came out. Jeep cares little to nothing about the rock crawling enthusiast.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Respectfully disagree. The only reason Jeep got a pass from so many is because there were no alternatives. Hiding behind “It’s a Jeep thing” for quirks and quality issues isn’t going to work anymore when you can go visit the Ford dealer across the street and buy a vehicle that doesn’t wander all over and doesn’t leak water into the cabin when the doors are open in the rain.

Jeep has A LOT to do to catch up with quality and then on top of that, catching up with innovation. We know FCA can do it because they’ve done it with RAM in the super competitive truck market but they’ve not done the same with Wrangler. They’ve been complacent and played it safe. I fear this will be to their detriment.

It’s Jeeps market to lose, and I really hope they have something up their sleeves for mid-cycle. If they don’t, many of us will have Broncos in our garages.

The great thing is, Jeep doesn’t have to do much to move the needle.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Being an old, practical kind of guy, I'll be taking a pass on the Bronco. My wife loved the intro video and thought the 2-door was cute, but all I was struck with is how much push button electrics were on the vehicle. Having wrenched on every 4-wheeler I've owned going on 50 years now, I don't like electric push button features. When mechanical systems break, I can take them apart, repair them, put them back together and be back on the road. With all those push button electronic systems, you gotta bring it to a dealer, pay exorbitant amount of money, have them replace the components. Don't trust them. There are too many on my JL, but not nearly as many as I saw on the Bronco.

Best,
-Tim

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Respectfully disagree. The only reason Jeep got a pass from so many is because there were no alternatives. Hiding behind “It’s a Jeep thing” for quirks and quality issues isn’t going to work anymore when you can go visit the Ford dealer across the street and buy a vehicle that doesn’t wander all over and doesn’t leak water into the cabin when the doors are open in the rain.

Jeep has A LOT to do to catch up with quality and then on top of that, catching up with innovation. We know FCA can do it because they’ve done it with RAM in the super competitive truck market but they’ve not done the same with Wrangler. They’ve been complacent and played it safe. I fear this will be to their detriment.

It’s Jeeps market to lose, and I really hope they have something up their sleeves for mid-cycle. If they don’t, many of us will have Broncos in our garages.
100 % correct, it is Jeeps game to lose.

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
The soccer mom and mall crawler crowds are the only reason Wrangler still exists. Rock crawlers are a tiny part and I mean microscopic part of Wrangler sales. Without the mall crawlers buying in mass there would be no point to even selling Wrangler. Guess who Jeep is going to target first?
Agreed. The introduction of the 4 door was a game changer. It expanded the customer base. Mall crawlers and soccer moms are the reason why the Wrangler still exists. Otherwise it would have gone the way of other 2 door SUVs.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ford made a better Wrangler. The only thing it doesn't have (and its a big one) is a SFA. If it had that, there'd be little reason to buy a Jeep.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.

I’m not sure what they can do mid cycle to catch up to what Ford is offering. I guess the first place to begin is with the powertrain. They need to offer better choices: a larger displacement turbo motor, a reworked 3.6l for better power delivery and a v8 option. They got it right with the auto transmission, but they also need to go back to the drawing board with their manual.
What shocks me the most is what Ford is offering for the price. Ford will have to keep dealers in check with their ADMs from the get go. The Bronco is not meant to be a speciality vehicle like the Focus RS and GT350/500 were/are. Market adjustments wouldn’t be appropriate and only severely hurt the launch of the Bronco.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I think Rock Crawlers are a tiny segment of the population at large, like with most interests/hobbies. That's one thing that struck me while watching the Bronco intro video last night. The shots of the 2-door seemed directly targeted at serious Rock Crawlers, which strikes me as Ford targeting a very small audience. I wonder if the Bronco is going to be a very limited production model.

Best,
-Tim

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The interesting question will be how Jeep responds or if it's just going to be with the V-8 option, hopefully they aren't that arrogant.
Agreed. I know some people are excited by the V8 possibility, especially on enthusiast forums, but honestly that's not something I would go for. I'm fine with the V6.

But when I'm looking for my next vehicle in a few years, the more important things to me are gonna be the smaller things jeep needs to upgrade to be competitive with the bronco. Sure, the 2-door bronco starts a couple thousand higher, but you also get so much more standard.

Is jeep gonna upgrade:
-its technology package to standard, even on a Sport (I think they might be, at least the Uconnect)?
-finally offer some better door options?
-Hitch standard, even if unwired?
-Some sort of integrated tailgate table like the bronco has (pretty sweet)?
-More attention to interior fit and finish (I know I have a Sport, but when my plastic trim is just popping off from normal use, come on; was cleaning the jeep yesterday and a small piece of gasket came just came off from my door)

Little things like that would go a long way in swaying someone like me to stay "team jeep," especially if the base bronco has a more solid production quality all around.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I think Rock Crawlers are a tiny segment of the population at large, like with most interests/hobbies. That's one thing that struck me while watching the Bronco intro video last night. The shots of the 2-door seemed directly targeted at serious Rock Crawlers, which strikes me as Ford targeting a very small audience. I wonder if the Bronco is going to be a very limited production model.

Best,
-Tim
No way will it be a small production run. Too much invested. Ford needs to have a good return on it.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

I agree with this 100 percent. Economics professors should use the Jeep Wrangler as a case study. The days of the Wrangler being FCA's cash cow (high profit margins) are likely over. It will be to the benefit of the consumer though!
Sponsored