OP

jeep4runner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
That is pretty sweet. And yeah, the idea would be to build things up over time. I'm not rolling in money, after all :) That's why I was thinking used—then grab pieces as I go. Obviously that would be easier with a 4Runner given they haven't changed in a many years—so I can get basically the same car for much cheaper. Whereas the new Rubi's have a pretty different feel on the interior from last year compared to older ones. So anything used would be much more expensive. But it's a great build.
Sponsored

Troutster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Hi Jeep enthusiasts,

I have a question that I'd love your thoughts on—which should I buy: a new Rubicon JL or a used 4Runner Trail (2014-2016).

Yes, it one of those. BUT, I'm not here to incite a flame war. I'd like to tell you my specific needs, to get specific feedback to help make sure I get the best thing for what I want to do.

My 3 primary aims for this vehicle are: Off-roading, Rock crawling, and camping/hiking.

Context:
•
This will not be an everyday vehicle (I have a small Prius C banger for that—and while boring, is insanely reliable and has stupid-high gas mileage).
• This will not be a soccer mom, mall cruiser, or wishful thinking vehicle. I don't have kids (nor will I). Just my mrs and our dog who love the outdoors. So I want it to be functional, not just "look" functional. This will be exclusively for outdoor adventures (and maybe the occasional dog park).
• I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time—adding mods as I go.

Why a Rubicon JL and 4Runner Trail?

From what I've seen and briefly experienced, the new Rubicons drive much nicer on the road, and have an interior (finally) that puts the 4Runner to shame. To me, the TRD Pro is pointless and overpriced. I can get a used Trail for around $27k, and spend $10-$12k on mods overtime that will give me an absolute beast of an off-roader. But that starts to creep up right around what a base Rubi goes for (since a used Rubi is still much more money) that gives me things like front and rear lockers, nicer interior, tires I'd actually want to use, and more. But even with that, I can build a used 4Runner Trail for cheaper than a new Rubi.

And here's a bit more for each aim—with a bit more context, too:

1. Off-roading:
I use to do a lot of off-roading with my first Toyota truck—mudding, fire roads, etc. We love to just get away and see different kinds of terrain. We like to do this a few times a month (weekends mostly). We'd be out all day doing this—so driving home has to be comfortable.

2. Rock crawling: I love to crawl. But I haven't done it for a while. So I need to walk, before I can crawl (that makes sense, right?). I won't be crawling every weekend. I'll upgrade things and do smaller crawls to get the hang of it again. This will be almost exclusively on weekends. And to start, maybe once a month. But the aim is to go several times a month as I get back into it.

3. Camping/Hiking: This kinda goes hand-in-hand with the other two. We love to hike. My mrs and I want to visit as many National Parks as we can. So this would mean driving long distances across the country. So it not only has to be reliable (yeah, I know most will say Toyota right away), but have the space to have a rooftop tent. or tow a small teardrop trailer instead. But when we get to these locations, we'll also want to off-road or crawl.

Questions are welcome. Your passion is encouraged. But let's keep it civil :)
2 door or 4 door rubi?

There’s a man on the forum selling his 2 door sting gray manual for 34k with only 2k miles on it.. insane deal IMO

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Hi Jeep enthusiasts,

I have a question that I'd love your thoughts on—which should I buy: a new Rubicon JL or a used 4Runner Trail (2014-2016).

Yes, it one of those. BUT, I'm not here to incite a flame war. I'd like to tell you my specific needs, to get specific feedback to help make sure I get the best thing for what I want to do.

My 3 primary aims for this vehicle are: Off-roading, Rock crawling, and camping/hiking.

Context:
•
This will not be an everyday vehicle (I have a small Prius C banger for that—and while boring, is insanely reliable and has stupid-high gas mileage).
• This will not be a soccer mom, mall cruiser, or wishful thinking vehicle. I don't have kids (nor will I). Just my mrs and our dog who love the outdoors. So I want it to be functional, not just "look" functional. This will be exclusively for outdoor adventures (and maybe the occasional dog park).

From what I've seen and briefly experienced, the new Rubicons drive much nicer on the road, and have an interior (finally) that puts the 4Runner to shame. To me, the TRD Pro is pointless and overpriced. I can get a used Trail for around $27k, and spend $10-$12k on mods overtime that will give me an absolute beast of an off-roader. But that starts to creep up right around what a base Rubi goes for (since a used Rubi is still much more money) that gives me things like front and rear lockers, nicer interior, tires I'd actually want to use, and more. But even with that, I can build a used 4Runner Trail for cheaper than a new Rubi.

1. Off-roading:
I use to do a lot of off-roading with my first Toyota truck—mudding, fire roads, etc. We love to just get away and see different kinds of terrain. We like to do this a few times a month (weekends mostly). We'd be out all day doing this—so driving home has to be comfortable.

2. Rock crawling: I love to crawl. But I haven't done it for a while. So I need to walk, before I can crawl (that makes sense, right?). I won't be crawling every weekend. I'll upgrade things and do smaller crawls to get the hang of it again. This will be almost exclusively on weekends. And to start, maybe once a month. But the aim is to go several times a month as I get back into it.

3. Camping/Hiking: This kinda goes hand-in-hand with the other two. We love to hike. My mrs and I want to visit as many National Parks as we can. So this would mean driving long distances across the country. So it not only has to be reliable (yeah, I know most will say Toyota right away), but have the space to have a rooftop tent. or tow a small teardrop trailer instead. But when we get to these locations, we'll also want to off-road or crawl.

Not having kids? That never entered my mind nor wife's because we were "too old" then life threw us a curve ball!

At any rate, I am in the same boat with you between Toyota and Jeep. I'm trying to get back into Astronomy and I am looking at getting a bigger scope than what I currently have. A Wrangler might work with the scope I have in mind but the 4Runner could handle the scope and camping equipment. I love the Wrangler for it's versatility, but at what cost? I am leaning towards the Wrangler because I want a vehicle that is U.S. made.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That is pretty sweet. And yeah, the idea would be to build things up over time. I'm not rolling in money, after all :) That's why I was thinking used—then grab pieces as I go. Obviously that would be easier with a 4Runner given they haven't changed in a many years—so I can get basically the same car for much cheaper. Whereas the new Rubi's have a pretty different feel on the interior from last year compared to older ones. So anything used would be much more expensive. But it's a great build.
Yeah. but the cost to get a 4 Runner as capable as a stock Jeep Wrangler is high. Jeeps have way more aftermarket parts. Jeeps are the legos of the vehicle world. Even with a brand new JL I can now fine 99% of what I want.
Also if topless summers sound fun you wont regret the jeep. You will like a 4runner but you will LOVE a Jeep

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You dont have to get a rubicon. You can get a sport or sport s and mod as you go. Most rubicon owners end up swapping out the rubi parts anyways. All thats left is the gearing, swaybar disco and lockers.

It takes me 5 mins to disconnect my sway bars. Eventually ill get some quick disconnects.
I can always add lockers if i need to. I really havent found a need to yet and ive done some rock crawling and flexing. Even our trail guide/instructor said all you really need is a winch.
I have stock rubi suspension and tires. Havent gotten stuck anywhere i couldnt get myself out of without assistance. I dont know if i ever will need lockers but if i do i can save for them and add ones that are better than stock mopar. Same with steel bumpers and siderails. Even the rubi guys dont want to keep those on lol.

I have a base Sport with roll up windows (will get tubular doors) and the 8spd. Its a 4 door so ac is standard and i made sure to get the anti-slip package so id get the D44 rear end. I paid $32kish. I would have liked to get a rubi but convincing the wife to allow the $550 a month for a weekend toy was difficult enough. Forget $800 or so lol. Im just going to build mine as i proceed. Add the parts i might need as i run into situations where i need them. Ive talked to long time jeepers, some who have seriously built rigs, and theyve all said if you have a winch you can go anywhere.

I was a run this weekend. One gal just got back from doing the rubicon trail. She said you can take a bone stock wrangler through there if you have some basic required mods like skid plates.

If you can afford to jump off the deep end and into a rubi then by all means go for it. If its iffy, start off with the basics and work your way up, as you go.

Remember, people were crawling all over moab and rubicon trail before rubicon jeeps or trd pro ever came out. And the new wranglers are sooo capable right out of the box. Even the lowly sports/saharas.

Maybe also consider a gladiator depending on your plans

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You dont have to get a rubicon. You can get a sport or sport s and mod as you go. Most rubicon owners end up swapping out the rubi parts anyways. All thats left is the gearing, swaybar disco and lockers.
most don't swap out the 4:1 transfer case

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

It takes me 5 mins to disconnect my sway bars. Eventually ill get some quick disconnects.
I can always add lockers if i need to. I really havent found a need to yet and ive done some rock crawling and flexing. Even our trail guide/instructor said all you really need is a winch.
I have stock rubi suspension and tires. Havent gotten stuck anywhere i couldnt get myself out of without assistance. I dont know if i ever will need lockers but if i do i can save for them and add ones that are better than stock mopar. Same with steel bumpers and siderails. Even the rubi guys dont want to keep those on lol.

I have a base Sport with roll up windows (will get tubular doors) and the 8spd. Its a 4 door so ac is standard and i made sure to get the anti-slip package so id get the D44 rear end. I paid $32kish. I would have liked to get a rubi but convincing the wife to allow the $550 a month for a weekend toy was difficult enough. Forget $800 or so lol. Im just going to build mine as i proceed. Add the parts i might need as i run into situations where i need them. Ive talked to long time jeepers, some who have seriously built rigs, and theyve all said if you have a winch you can go anywhere.

I was a run this weekend. One gal just got back from doing the rubicon trail. She said you can take a bone stock wrangler through there if you have some basic required mods like skid plates.

If you can afford to jump off the deep end and into a rubi then by all means go for it. If its iffy, start off with the basics and work your way up, as you go.

Remember, people were crawling all over moab and rubicon trail before rubicon jeeps or trd pro ever came out. And the new wranglers are sooo capable right out of the box. Even the lowly sports/saharas.

Back when I got my first JK, I thought this way too....until I quickly realized that the very small premium you pay for a rubi to get the transfer case, stronger axles, lockers, and the electronic swaybar make it worth every cent EVEN IF you swap out your axles. Just the transfer case alone is worth it, not to mention the JL rubi has other tasty treats you get in the price.

OP
OP

jeep4runner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
2 door or 4 door rubi?

There’s a man on the forum selling his 2 door sting gray manual for 34k with only 2k miles on it.. insane deal IMO
If I'm doing a rooftop tent, I'd think 4-door would be more ideal. But I'm open. I'll look for it (but if you can link here, that'd be great, too!). Thanks!

OP
OP

jeep4runner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

All valid points. Here's why I'm thinking of Rubi instead of a more entry-level model:

I'm completely willing to add things after-the-fact (hence the used 4Runner thought). With Toyota, because they don't do anything stock for those parts post-purchase (lockers, suspension, etc.), the layout inside the vehicle changes. Now, I know Jeep deals with Mopar parts after the fact, so the layout and options may look/feel exactly the same as a Rubi—but I don't know that (that's my ignorance/lack of experience with Jeep). Plus, when you factor in cost over time, I might be able to swing a better deal with all of that upfront (if I find it used or negotiate right).

Of course, with the right line/angle and a spotter, you can do even the hardest terrain without a bunch of bells and whistles.

And as someone who's off-roaded and crawled in the past, one thing I know is that you don't want to wait to add the parts after you come across a situation where you realize you needed them. That's a recipe for disaster. You want that stuff in there beforehand.

I'm still exploring all the possible options with the JLs. So I appreciate the input.

OP
OP

jeep4runner

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
If you want to rockcrawl, you DON'T want a newer model 4Runner. If that's a primary concern, buy an old one and build it up. Though Marlin Crawler is coming out with long travel "rockcrawler" type a-arm set up for IFS late model Toyotas.

If I were looking for a newer model vehicle though for that purpose, the Rubicon beats the 4Runner hands down.
So, I would definitely buy a used model (2014-2016 Trail). But I actually DO want a 5th gen. I despise the look (exterior and interior) of the 4th gens—despite having a V8 option. And while I love 3rd gens (my favorite, actually), it's nearly impossible to find one that doesn't have hundreds of thousands of miles on it. Plus, I like the look and seating of the 5th gens better. And if the goal is to keep this for a long time, I'd rather start off with something a bit newer. I want to rock crawl, but I won't be crawling to such an extent I need a completely stripped down buggy-style cage with wheels. The drive to and from the crawl/offroad should be comfortable and enjoyable, too.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If I'm doing a rooftop tent, I'd think 4-door would be more ideal. But I'm open. I'll look for it (but if you can link here, that'd be great, too!). Thanks!
I’m the guy with the JLR for sale. Reach out to me if you have questions. You can also reach out to me for Rubicon to 4Runner comparisons. I have had multiple Wranglers and 4runners.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Hi Jeep enthusiasts,

Context:
•

1. Off-roading:

Context-----If it's not an everyday vehicle, you can mod the crap out of either one so it gives you amazing flexibility in what you do to it

Why rubi JL and af 4 runner trail-- this is related to above. You can plunk a huge sums of money on the toy and it might get you close to a stock rubi with 35's on it. I just dont think a 4 runner will touch it. Dollar for dollar you wont get a more capable 4x4. I think this is pretty much indisputable.

1--just basic off roading I dont think either one would be a bad choice. I'm a huge toyota fan so my nod would go to them simply because of their rep for quality.
2- Rock crawling---no comparison, a rubi will eat a toyota. Not even close. Maybe mild stuff but the JL is incredible.
3- Camping/Hiking is more hand and had with off roading. I would again go toyota.

I thought about toyota 4runner before going JLUR and it boiled down to reliability and reputation vs versatility. While my seeking out semi-hard core rock crawling is not what I'm after, if I come up on it I want to be able to do that, and a lot of other stuff one really doesnt need to worry about with a JLUR vs a toyota.

So for ME versatility won out, plus I think the later model 4 runners are butt ugly . lol I hear there is a new generation coming out next year. Might want to wait. I do love toyota's though.

Oh and lastly, I havent driven a new Toy 4runner, but I can say that no other vehicle (jeep) has been such a pleasure to ride on road and off for ME. Even without airing down off road nothing has been smoother. It is amazing.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Keep in mind though....your talking almost 50K of those dollars. You buy an older 4Runner....and you know how to fab and have the right tools and you can make something that will out wheel the factory (or a bolt on modded) JLUR. Stock for stock...ya, indisputable.
The OP said 27k and no fab skills so not sure where your going with this. I like the old stuff but aint no way I want to drive one from my house in AZ to CO or anywhere really verses that sweet JL. I'd definately do a late model 4 runner but it wont be near as capable...of course the JL might break down on the way to CO, so there is that. lol

Btw I didnt spend near 50k for my rube. I think a new 4runner goes about low 40s so they are about the same price.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hi There!

I have a 2018 JLUR and a 2017 4Runner TRD. I would honestly say hands down the Jeep is far and away better vehicle. The creature comforts with the new JL take it to another level. The 4Runner tech is probably 10 years behind, yeah sure it has navigation and blue tooth but it's old tech. The 5spd trans is not comparable to the 8spd on the JL, which on longer trips will help on the gas mileage. The storage area when you fold the seats down is about the same, you get a little more with the 4Runner but not much. The 4Runner does feel more car like on pavement, but off road the Jeep is much better. As for towing you should be fine with a teardrop or a smaller trailer for either. Reliability, yeah sure the Toyotas are good but this is my 2 Wrangler and I have never had a single problem (knocking on wood), with my JL the first 2 years of oil changes are free and you get a pretty good warranty with it, I'm not sure you will get the same with a used Toyota. My 4Runner has Crawl Control and Rear locker, with 3.42 gears, JLUR has front and rear lockers and 4.10 gears. Then you have the after market to specialize your rig, I think the Jeep wins here again, there is so many companies out there the competition keeps the prices some what lower, I mean if you really look you can find deals. I am sure that I missed something but for your initial questions I think I covered them all.

Joe

JLUR and SR5 from work. SR5 is not a TRD Pro. I am not dumb. However vehicles aren’t even close at this point. Dated is an understatement. Saying that, I really like my SR5. I love love love my JLUR.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
No offense intended. Simply stated what's obvious; that for $50K you can build a helluva trail rig.

Further, I didn't see the OP said he had no fab skills. He said he'd mod slowly on a used Runner. I re-skimmed the first post quickly and still don't see the "no fab skills" comment. Maybe he said it later. Regardless, I'd have no qualms about taking my now 20 year old 4Runner across the country....it's simply preventative maintenance and I guarantee that as time progresses, vehicles will only get more complex and harder for the shade tree mechanic to work on themselves.
None taken, just not the point of the thread. Yeah I didnt mean he had no fab skill just that it wasnt in his OP. He said used one at 27k, at that price point it is relatively new.

I bought a new 97 wrangler at 20k. I quickly added stuff up I did to it to make it capable. I could have bought a new rubi, with that cash. It adds up and if the OP goes toy and tries to compete with a jeep he will be spending more coin then a new rubi at least at the price point of 27.

We have a 97 four runner and would take it too but it aint no JL or new Toy. Yeah the JL and new toy are complex but I'm taking ride quality creature comforts and still it's new and less likely to chit on a road trip.

Again a jeep is more versatile with it's capabilities. If the OP doesnt need that the Toy is probably smarter because of reliability and money. But if he's like me and thinking he doesnt need it (jeep capabilities)...many times you find out differently. Been there done that. lol
Sponsored