Sponsored

Comparing JLU to 4Runner and Tacoma (TRD Pros)

Jmk0601

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Moab
I currently own a 2017 4Runner TRD Pro, have recently sold 2017 Tacoma Trd Pro. and always was interested in getting a wrangler. I've always steered away from Jeep brand as a whole due to reliability issues and whatnot, but I decided to take a chance. My buddy that works at the Jeep dealership as a mechanic told me that the new JLs are extremely comfortable and come with pretty modern features. So couple weeks ago, an opportunity came up, and I was able to buy a 2018 JLU Moab at a nicely discounted price with an extended warranty and maintenance plan. Having driven the JLU Moab for couple weeks, I definitely am WOW-ed by this car. It is extremely comfortable as a daily driver, and I absolutely love its modern technology and features.

I know that JLU's two top competitors are indeed the 4Runner and Tacoma, since the two Toyota models are advertised as off-road capable vehicles (especially the TRD lineup). I've personally owned all three cars, and i would honestly rank 4Runner as number 1, JLU as number 2, and Tacoma as number 3. Maybe if my JLU Moab proves to be reliable (with proper maintenance and care of course), it may end up being number one as it's pretty close to being as good as the 4Runner in my scale. Of course this is my opinion and can differ with other people's experiences. I just thought I'd share my opinion since I've owned all three.

1. 4Runner
I definitely think that the 4Runner's reliability and comfort are the main two reasons why I would rate it as number one. For a long road trip and as an overall car, 4Runner is just plain comfortable and reliable. The fact is that everything about the 4Runner is pretty much outdated, but it plays a huge role in its reliability. I think Toyota did an excellent job just continually making small refinements to the 4Runner to make it comfortable and reliable off-roading vehicle for consumers. The engine, transmission, and handling are pretty solid for the 4Runner. I've had zero issues with how it drives in 2 years of ownership. The biggest downside to the 4Runner is its price-point, lack of features, and necessity of a lift to fit larger tires. Current 4Runner's features are same as the ones from 2010 or even older ones. It has been outdated, and to be honest, it's over-priced for what it actually is. However, I do love driving it on daily basis and can overlook the lack of features. I guess less features, less things to break?

2. Wrangler Unlimited (JLU)
From the moment I test drove it to now, I'm still amazed at how comfortable the new JLs are. I absolutely love the 8 speed automatic transmission as it makes my 4Runner feel sluggish when driving both back to back. The amount of added technology on the JLs is just perfect for everyone in a market for a SIUV. There are so many options that anyone and everyone can pretty much get whatever features that they want. I will say that my favorite features are the 8.4" Uconnect system with upgraded speakers and LED lighting group. I don't even notice the wind noise with music on, and I am in love with the sound system, and the LEDs make my night driving even easier. Also, the aftermarket support for the JLs are insane. It's only been out for a minute, and there are lots of aftermarket parts available already. I do love the fact that I do not need a lift to fit bigger tires. With Toyotas, you definitely need a lift to clear larger tires. I've seen lot of complaints regarding steering issues and whatnot, and although I haven't experienced extreme issues such as the "death wobble" or dead zone in the steering wheel, I will say that the JLU has an extreme oversteer. With crosswinds, my arms are tired from holding the steering wheel at a slight angle to get the car going in a straight line. Also, I constantly have to correct the steering to go straight. I've gotten used to it now, but I definitely think it makes driving the JLU on a daily basis a pain in the ass. Overall, I love driving the Jeep when my shoulders aren't tired from constantly adjusting the steering wheel.

3. Tacoma
Tacoma is by far the worst car I've owned, at least during the time I owned it. Starting in 2016, Toyota placed a new transmission into the Tacomas, and it's probably the worst decision they made. My 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro constantly hunted for gears, and it was constantly stuck at either 4th or 5th gear, and it never hit 6th gear unless going downhill. For daily comfort, the ride wasn't bad, but it really lacks the cabin space and is just annoying to drive. You can't even comfortably fit 4 adults in the full size Tacoma, which was one of my biggest complaints. Tacoma definitely has little bit more features than the 4Runner but it still lacks quality modern features that JLU offers. Also with the 2016+ Tacomas, reliability has been an issue, so if reliability is an issue, why even get a Toyota? I'd say the Tacoma looks the best out of all the pickup trucks in its class, but it really isn't worth it for how much it costs.

DSC_0608.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Congrats on the moab. Didnt want a rubicon or was the deal too good to pass up?

My cousin bought a tacoma trd pro last year. Had it shipped from TX to CA. Nothing but problems and had to lemon law. He went and replaced it with another tacoma :headbang:

We had a basic 2wd 4runner. One of the best vehicles we’ve owned. Still in the family with about 200k now. No real issues.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

I currently own a 2017 4Runner TRD Pro, have recently sold 2017 Tacoma Trd Pro. and always was interested in getting a wrangler. I've always steered away from Jeep brand as a whole due to reliability issues and whatnot, but I decided to take a chance. My buddy that works at the Jeep dealership as a mechanic told me that the new JLs are extremely comfortable and come with pretty modern features. So couple weeks ago, an opportunity came up, and I was able to buy a 2018 JLU Moab at a nicely discounted price with an extended warranty and maintenance plan. Having driven the JLU Moab for couple weeks, I definitely am WOW-ed by this car. It is extremely comfortable as a daily driver, and I absolutely love its modern technology and features.

I know that JLU's two top competitors are indeed the 4Runner and Tacoma, since the two Toyota models are advertised as off-road capable vehicles (especially the TRD lineup). I've personally owned all three cars, and i would honestly rank 4Runner as number 1, JLU as number 2, and Tacoma as number 3. Maybe if my JLU Moab proves to be reliable (with proper maintenance and care of course), it may end up being number one as it's pretty close to being as good as the 4Runner in my scale. Of course this is my opinion and can differ with other people's experiences. I just thought I'd share my opinion since I've owned all three.

1. 4Runner
I definitely think that the 4Runner's reliability and comfort are the main two reasons why I would rate it as number one. For a long road trip and as an overall car, 4Runner is just plain comfortable and reliable. The fact is that everything about the 4Runner is pretty much outdated, but it plays a huge role in its reliability. I think Toyota did an excellent job just continually making small refinements to the 4Runner to make it comfortable and reliable off-roading vehicle for consumers. The engine, transmission, and handling are pretty solid for the 4Runner. I've had zero issues with how it drives in 2 years of ownership. The biggest downside to the 4Runner is its price-point, lack of features, and necessity of a lift to fit larger tires. Current 4Runner's features are same as the ones from 2010 or even older ones. It has been outdated, and to be honest, it's over-priced for what it actually is. However, I do love driving it on daily basis and can overlook the lack of features. I guess less features, less things to break?

From the moment I test drove it to now, I'm still amazed at how comfortable the new JLs are. I absolutely love the 8 speed automatic transmission as it makes my 4Runner feel sluggish when driving both back to back. The amount of added technology on the JLs is just perfect for everyone in a market for a SIUV. There are so many options that anyone and everyone can pretty much get whatever features that they want. I will say that my favorite features are the 8.4" Uconnect system with upgraded speakers and LED lighting group. I don't even notice the wind noise with music on, and I am in love with the sound system, and the LEDs make my night driving even easier. Also, the aftermarket support for the JLs are insane. It's only been out for a minute, and there are lots of aftermarket parts available already. I do love the fact that I do not need a lift to fit bigger tires. With Toyotas, you definitely need a lift to clear larger tires. I've seen lot of complaints regarding steering issues and whatnot, and although I haven't experienced extreme issues such as the "death wobble" or dead zone in the steering wheel, I will say that the JLU has an extreme oversteer. With crosswinds, my arms are tired from holding the steering wheel at a slight angle to get the car going in a straight line. Also, I constantly have to correct the steering to go straight. I've gotten used to it now, but I definitely think it makes driving the JLU on a daily basis a pain in the ass. Overall, I love driving the Jeep when my shoulders aren't tired from constantly adjusting the steering wheel.

3. Tacoma
Tacoma is by far the worst car I've owned, at least during the time I owned it. Starting in 2016, Toyota placed a new transmission into the Tacomas, and it's probably the worst decision they made. My 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro constantly hunted for gears, and it was constantly stuck at either 4th or 5th gear, and it never hit 6th gear unless going downhill. For daily comfort, the ride wasn't bad, but it really lacks the cabin space and is just annoying to drive. You can't even comfortably fit 4 adults in the full size Tacoma, which was one of my biggest complaints. Tacoma definitely has little bit more features than the 4Runner but it still lacks quality modern features that JLU offers. Also with the 2016+ Tacomas, reliability has been an issue, so if reliability is an issue, why even get a Toyota? I'd say the Tacoma looks the best out of all the pickup trucks in its class, but it really isn't worth it for how much it costs.

DSC_0608.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG
Nice purchase it’s beautiful but your going to miss the rear diff disconnect that you had in the pro but if your not doing any serious rock crawling you will be fine congratulations

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Interesting comparison..all i drive are 4runners and wranglers. FYI, the 2020 4runners are adding apple car play and their safety suite. The pro is getting push button start as well. No led lights and no power train updates.

OP
OP

Jmk0601

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the moab. Didnt want a rubicon or was the deal too good to pass up?

My cousin bought a tacoma trd pro last year. Had it shipped from TX to CA. Nothing but problems and had to lemon law. He went and replaced it with another tacoma :headbang:

We had a basic 2wd 4runner. One of the best vehicles we’ve owned. Still in the family with about 200k now. No real issues.
There was a moab sitting in one of the lots for 10k off and I got free maintenance for up to 50k and extended warranty up to 75k, so it really was hard to pass. I wanted a rubicon for the aggressive look, and honestly, the moab came with all the comfort features that I wanted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmk0601

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice purchase it’s beautiful but your going to miss the rear diff disconnect that you had in the pro but if your not doing any serious rock crawling you will be fine congratulations
I actually wanted selec trac, so it really worked out for me. I commute around 250 miles a week in Colorado, so it just worked out better for me!

OP
OP

Jmk0601

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting comparison..all i drive are 4runners and wranglers. FYI, the 2020 4runners are adding apple car play and their safety suite. The pro is getting push button start as well. No led lights and no power train updates.
Toyota will always stay behind the curve with the features because they know they will sell, which bugs me lol.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Great review. I owned a 2009 Taco Sport 4WD, bought new and modded with Icon Stage 3 lift, and LOVED it. Then, the 16's came out and I got all googly eyed over the new bells and whistles, so traded. Mistake, for sure! I really liked the interior (I got a Limited, no PRO at the time) and all the features, but that tranny....man, that tranny was aweful! The engine was strong enough, just the ECU and tranny limited it way too much. Had it flashed twice, but it never really felt very different...searching for gears, like you said. Then, along came a new Wrangler. Like you, I was worried about reliability, but I figured with its resale as strong as they are, I can unload it in a couple years if the romance doesn't last. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought two in 9 months. I bought the first one in my area in January, then traded for another in October because I really wanted the Sky one-touch.

So far, this thing impresses me...every day. This Rubi, so long as it treats me right, will be in my possession for years to come. This isn't to say I'm a new Jeep fanboy, but I'm thoroughly impressed, so far! If, and I mean if, Toyota finally fixes the transmission, I could be swayed back. But right now, I'm very happy where I'm at. The one thing a Toyota will likely never offer is a removable top. Convertible FTW!

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Great review I currently own all three. The Toyota’s are both 2014 models though. They all have things I like better ect. If the Jeep last as many miles as my Toyota I will be happy.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely am WOW-ed by this car.
So welcome to the family!

Good read, but try not to refer to our JL/JLU’s as “cars”. It hurts both physically (my eyeballs) and emotionally (my soul).

Sponsored

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black

1. 4Runner

3. Tacoma

DSC_0608.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG
Congrats the Moab looks awesome in white, and thanks for the review. When I was in the market it was between a Wrangler or a 4Runner (last truck was a Taco, I loved it) but like you said little has been updated since 2010 on the 4Runner.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
My son is still driving my 2008 Tundra with 150k on it. I borrowed it the other day and it still runs great. I told him when he’s ready to get rid of it to let me know. I may want it back.

We’ll see if my Rubicon lives up to that. I’m ready to ride it till it dies

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
My son is still driving my 2008 Tundra with 150k on it. I borrowed it the other day and it still runs great. I told him when he’s ready to get rid of it to let me know. I may want it back.

We’ll see if my Rubicon lives up to that. I’m ready to ride it till it dies
My dad has a 2008 tundra with 255k on it, only had to replace the starter and radiator, in addition to normal maintenance. Great for reliability

OP
OP

Jmk0601

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great review I currently own all three. The Toyota’s are both 2014 models though. They all have things I like better ect. If the Jeep last as many miles as my Toyota I will be happy.
Tacoma’s just went to crap in 2016. Previous modes are awesome.