Sponsored

Comparing JLU to 4Runner and Tacoma (TRD Pros)

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
I owned a 2009 (Gen 3) 4Runner and it was great. I looked at 2019 Taco's before settling on the JL lease and the only Taco I tested was a '19 TRD Off-Road,in MANUAL, due to all the reports of the crappy CVT. I can say without hesitation that the manual transmission in the JL is better than the manual in the Taco. I don't regret my decision (yet anyway). Toyota could come close to the $299 Jeep lease deal either. Granted, the Off-Road was $5K more, but even then, the lease terms couldn't compare.
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Congrats on your Moab . . .Enjoy!

I had a 1980 SR5 and a 1995 4Runner. Both were driven until the wheels fell off, in a manner of speaking. I still have my 1979 Bronco XLT Ranger, which I will always keep. Fast forward . . . My '19 JLUR is my latest 4x4 and I love it!

Jeep went next level with respect to the JL. Mine has been trouble free for 5,7xx miles.

tombovo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sahara, Firecracker Red, 6sp Manual, Leather, LED, Tow, Cold Weather, Infotainment
I bought a new 1990 Toyota pickup, standard cab, short bed, 4x4, manual transmission. That was a great truck. That was before they called it a "Tacoma." Traded that in for a new 2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 with manual transmission--that was the last year they produced it with a manual. Again a great truck, and very comfortable. So after 28 years with a Toyota I was forced to look elsewhere. In 2018, the dealer service at Toyota started scamming me and over-charging (every 6 months they "found" the same issue with the handbrake that needed repair), so I never even considered another Toyota. The JLU was a very nice upgrade in all ways, and I can take the top off! I just ordered an Alien SunShade!

You go with what feels right as far as the deal you get, the service department you have to deal with, and if the vehicle is what you want. I always wanted a Wrangler (since the CJ7) and now I wave one! And it has all the bells and whistles I could ask for. I have to say thanks to Bay Ridge Toyota for making me look elsewhere, and thanks to Bay Ridge Fiat Chrysler Dodge Jeep for having a JLU with a stick!

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
3.6 (non start stop) JL/JT is the most reliable/maintenance free vehicle that you can currently buy.

turbo 4s are looking pretty good in the reliability also

time will tell if all these electrics stand the text of time though. Historically thatā€™s where a lot of cars end up failing and racking up lots of expensive repairs. Hoping we have reached a time where electronics have good life spans.. but we will see.

I looked at Tacomaā€™s, but very briefly. They just arenā€™t it. Rather have a gladiator imo.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations! Nice Jeep!

I came from a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road myself. I was never able to find a comfortable driving position, and the Toyota 3.5 V6 + 6-speed automatic sucked in my experience.

You are going read on here the occasional ā€œshoulda got a Rubicon...ā€ . Donā€™t let it bother you. Moab is a great Wrangler and, in many instances, better than a Rubicon thanks to Selec-Trac and the rear LSD.

Have fun, enjoy, and donā€™t forget to smile!
Sponsored