Which model should I buy- Rubicon or?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I just traded a mint 18’ Sahara Unlimited 2.0 for a 21’ Rubicon Unlimited Diesel. Both fully loaded. I was in the boat as you last week.

Buy the Rubicon Diesel. The Rubicon is giving you a locking front and rear along with electronic sway at release. Yes, you “could” purchase and install an ARB compressor, along with aftermarket lockers, and physically climb under the Jeep to unbolt / unhook the sway. That being said, you’ll likely spend more money, will pay out of pocket instead of finance through your loan, and will not add any value to your vehicle. A Rubicon having this straight from factory will retain its value.
Also, the dealer lot is probably full of Sport and Sahara models. Rubicon is their top tier offering and more rare. This usually means they’re “special” both on the road and during resale.
Actually sports have better resale value than the rubicon. Don’t get me wrong they all hold their value but the sport clocks in at 71% rubicon 69% and Sahara 67%. Once you start talking about leases rubicon’s actually have lower residual value as well. Once you start getting into high end add one they lose money and sell for less.
Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Actually sports have better resale value than the rubicon. Don’t get me wrong they all hold their value but the sport clocks in at 71% rubicon 69% and Sahara 67%. Once you start talking about leases rubicon’s actually have lower residual value as well. Once you start getting into high end add one they lose money and sell for less.
No doubt - nothing has higher resale than a stripper model. That said, once you add aftermarket steel bumpers, aftermarket rock sliders, aftermarket front and rear lockers, etc, etc. Thats easily several thousand dollars that won’t be returned at resale. Not easily anyway. A Rubicon on the other hand will retain that value and be recognized on NADA, KBB, etc. Mods won’t.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
No doubt - nothing has higher resale than a stripper model. That said, once you add aftermarket steel bumpers, aftermarket rock sliders, aftermarket front and rear lockers, etc, etc. Thats easily several thousand dollars that won’t be returned at resale. Not easily anyway. A Rubicon on the other hand will retain that value and be recognized on NADA, KBB, etc. Mods won’t.
True. Your lucky to get 25% back on add ons. You’d have to find the right buyer. I personally kept all my stock parts that came off in case I ever decide to sell. Not a lot of people will do that.

OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Got out today and stopped by a dealer in Brookings Oregon, they let me take out a new Wrangler Rubicon. I drove it all a round town and some up highway 101, what a beautiful coast line:) Anyway I love the Wrangler Rubicon it was so much fun, in and out of parking lots, up hills and down hills it was great:like: I like everything about it, how the seats fold flat and how the tail gate opens all great. So it looks like I need to place our order now. I think the only thing we are adding is the tow package and 3piece hard top, unless you guys say there is just something we shouldn't live with out? Oh ya we have to decide on the color, Sting Gray or Sarge Green :beer:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
43,690 rubicon
37,185 sport S

$6500 is the difference don't have to get you panties in a bunch.

Dana 44s, lockers, gearing, roctrac transfer case, sway bar disconnect, bigger display in between gauges, offroad plus, universal door opener, rock sliders, 33s, longer travel shocks and 1.5 inch lift all make up the $6500. $1500 more than you spent. You blatantly saying your sport can do every single trail a rubicon can seems like your trying to justify not getting a rubicon.
I paid 31K for my sport S. 38,900 MSRP.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Got out today and stopped by a dealer in Brookings Oregon, they let me take out a new Wrangler Rubicon. I drove it all a round town and some up highway 101, what a beautiful coast line:) Anyway I love the Wrangler Rubicon it was so much fun, in and out of parking lots, up hills and down hills it was great:like: I like everything about it, how the seats fold flat and how the tail gate opens all great. So it looks like I need to place our order now. I think the only thing we are adding is the tow package and 3piece hard top, unless you guys say there is just something we shouldn't live with out? Oh ya we have to decide on the color, Sting Gray or Sarge Green :beer:
Id get the steel bumper package. It will give you the best suspension (tow, steel, hardtop), and the front bumper is really nice, rear bumper sucks.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The only options I got on my Rubicon were body colored fenders (100% personal preference- if you don’t care, save the money and don’t get them), LED package (I like being able to see at night), and steel bumpers (I’m keeping my jeep stock but may add a winch years from now and you can do that on the stock steel bumper).

The only option I regret not getting was the Alpine stereo, but I falsely assumed you had to get the 8.4” screen in order to get the alpine speakers. Turns out you might be able to get the good speakers with the 7” screen. Personally I prefer the smaller 7” screen but man, the base speakers are garbage.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
in and out of parking lots, up hills and down hills it was great
Find a tough trail. Drive it as far as you can without lockers. When the limited slip fails and forward progress ceases, engage the lockers; have your passenger snap a photo of your face as you continue up something you would not want to walk. Yeah, they're worth it.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Such a personal preference thing. I enjoy occasional blue and red trail rock crawling where lockers and extra skid protection is a must as is a 4/1 transfer case. My 2” lift w/35sbis not especially hard core but it’s far more than a Sport with street tires....which would not work for me. I could care less about a 2% difference in depreciation...

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Such a personal preference thing. I enjoy occasional blue and red trail rock crawling where lockers and extra skid protection is a must as is a 4/1 transfer case. My 2” lift w/35sbis not especially hard core but it’s far more than a Sport with street tires....which would not work for me. I could care less about a 2% difference in depreciation...
Lockers, bigger tires, and some skid protection for less chances of damage. Lockers a must for some trails sure. But the 4.1 tcase, even though it vastly helps, not a necessity.

OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
I did order our 2021 Rubicon, went with Petersons in Nampa ID. Our build : Diesel engine, dual top with tan soft top and black hard top, tow package,slush mats, and Sarge Green awesomeness :like: can't wait.8

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
But the 4.1 tcase, even though it vastly helps, not a necessity.
Nice Pics! You need to do Hole in the Rock or Blanca Peak; then say that. I prefer a slow pace on 45 degree ascents and descents.
Sponsored