Sponsored

Should I build a Wrangler or hold out for the right used JL? Should I even BUY a Wrangler?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Man, I thought I'd found the Willys for me at a dealership out of state. Went back and forth and after finally getting hard numbers realized that what seems too good to be true often is. They got really tricky with the pricing. Posted a great price online and then added the delivery fee after the fact. It's already part of the MSRP!!!
VBlOtLv.jpg

I1KXLKo.jpg

Very frustrating, but I'll keep looking. Still not a bad price but for a 14 hour round trip and doctored numbers, I'll pass.
Dealers like Farrish should not be in business. That $899 DOC is shady also. I would never do business with a dealer like Farrish. It's only scratching the surface of how they operate. Think of how it would be in the business office. Or after the sale for warranty, service or anything else. Go somewhere else.

Shady Farrish is in Farfax VA right? A hour away is one of the most competitive Jeep dealers in the Nation. Order exactly what you want from Criswell in MD. They are no BS and have a low DOC fee. They will give you 6%-7% under invoice with no grief. I did not do wthe exact numbers but that's probably about $1500+ better than Farrish. Plus or minus a couple of hundred? You can do everything by email and phone. Just do a search for Criswell on this forum.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Yeah, theyā€™re in Fairfax Va. Truck was also $1000 higher than priced online. I have no hard feelings about it, just not the way I prefer to do business. Truck is off their site now, so looks like someone got it. It was a sweet one.
If I go with a build, Travis from these forums is several hours closer and also has very transparent pricing and a similar deal on builds. And Iā€™ve had him quote a couple for me and pestered him with questions already.
In the meantime, just searching for something close to my build and will keep Criswell on my radar too. Ideally, Iā€™ll find something within an afternoonā€™s drive. But Iā€™m not opposed to buying a one-way plane ticket if the right thing at the right price comes along.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Yeah, theyā€™re in Fairfax Va. Truck was also $1000 higher than priced online. I have no hard feelings about it, just not the way I prefer to do business. Truck is off their site now, so looks like someone got it. It was a sweet one.
If I go with a build, Travis from these forums is several hours closer and also has very transparent pricing and a similar deal on builds. And Iā€™ve had him quote a couple for me and pestered him with questions already.
In the meantime, just searching for something close to my build and will keep Criswell on my radar too. Ideally, Iā€™ll find something within an afternoonā€™s drive. But Iā€™m not opposed to buying a one-way plane ticket if the right thing at the right price comes along.
Personally I would find the best deal ordering your jeep and not buy off the lot . My reason for saying this is possibly Jeep has cleaned up their act with the paint blistering on the hinges and doors. If you purchase off the lot I'd make a agreement that if the paint blisters they do a buy back at a fair price . That would be terms . My 2 cents

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Get the LSD if not getting a Rubicon. Makes it better in snow and ice, plus the axle in the rear is much better. Also, I had a hard too jk. Now a soft top jl. Honestly, I like the soft top more. I open it up 10x as much.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
IMO if you Hunt and FIsh etc I'd go for a pickup to be honest. I have had both a JL wrangler and Tacoma and I ended up staying with the Tacoma because it was so practical to just toss the dirty fishing and hunting crap in the bed of the truck vs inside the back of the jeep. I remember fishing and getting bait and smelly crap inside the JL. For just general outdoor use like camping, hunting and fishing, the ability to toss things into the bed of the truck was just so much better. I think a JL may be in my future again but as a project vehicle to tow behind a RV. Not to mention the JL left me stranded numerous time with its shitty ass electrical system. So reliability was a concern after those incidents.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Just wanted to update everyone. I ordered a sarge green Gladiator and it arrived at my dealership yesterday. Thanks for all of your help and for helping me get a great price on it.
7IzYa6Q.jpg

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
There will be a lot of them popping up used this year (wait 2 month for peoe to burn their tax money to get good price). Buying used makes sense IF you want to have more money in your pocket.

You can pick up sport JLU for $25-$28
Sahara for $32-$35 depending on location.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Man, I thought I'd found the Willys for me at a dealership out of state. Went back and forth and after finally getting hard numbers realized that what seems too good to be true often is. They got really tricky with the pricing. Posted a great price online and then added the delivery fee after the fact. It's already part of the MSRP!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Should I build a Wrangler or hold out for the right used JL? Should I even BUY a Wrangler? 7IzYa6Q

Jeep Wrangler JL Should I build a Wrangler or hold out for the right used JL? Should I even BUY a Wrangler? 7IzYa6Q

Very frustrating, but I'll keep looking. Still not a bad price but for a 14 hour round trip and doctored numbers, I'll pass.
WOW.....not too mention $899 doc fee :lipssealed:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Hi, everyone. Total "noob" here so apologies for the vague subject line and basic questions, but I'm planning to make the biggest purchase of my life outside of my home and I figured who better to ask than people who drive what I am becoming obsessed with.

A little about my situation: This will be my only vehicle. My credit is good but I plan to pay cash in full. I have been driving the same Chevy pickup for 21 years, and have about $36,408 saved up. Late last year I went to test drive a used Tacoma and for no reason other than it caught my eye, also test drove a manual Willys Wrangler. While the Tacoma seemed far and away the more practical choice; that Jeep was SO fun to drive that I couldn't bring myself to buy the pickup. I left the dealership with no new keys in hand to do my homework. Weeks later I still can't stop thinking about it. I have built no less than 200 of them online at this point.

We live in the mountains and a 4 wheel drive is mandatory. I hunt and fish on land you wouldn't exactly want to take a Camry through. This is part of the reason a used JL appeals to me -I don't want to put the first scratches on a shiny new Jeep. But my daily driving will be exactly 2 miles to work and 2 miles home each day, trips to the grocery store and so forth. Something my wife can drive when there's snow and ice.

I am not a mechanic. I am not good at diagnosing vehicle problems and worse at fixing them myself. Reliability is paramount, and my biggest fear is expenses after the warranty expires. Threads abound here with titles like, "Back to the dealership" and I do realize that people are going to post when something goes wrong more often than, "My JL hit 100,000 miles today." My faith in Fiat isn't terribly high though.

I've spoken with Travis at Tri-Cities who is a sponsor here. My local guy offered $500 off of invoice, and Travis does 5%, and another 1% if I get an FCA control number. Attached is the build I sent him to quote. Has everything I want except cold weather group, because I can't seem to add that without a convenience group (and with a manual, it won't remote start, plus I have no garage door).

My preferences are as follows (please chime in if anyone thinks any of these aren't worth the $ or I'm omitting something I might wish I had down the road):
3 piece hard top
manual (aware of the recall)
wheels that aren't ugly (Yes, I can upgrade later, but I can already hear my wife saying something about replacing "perfectly good wheels")
LED lighting group
a color my wife and I both like (Sarge green is my favorite, hers is Snazberry, ocean blue metallic is #2 for both of us)
Side steps since she's 5' flat
A/C
Cold weather group
In a perfect world I'd want steel bumpers, but they only seem to be available on the Rubicon which is out of my budget (new anyway). Thanks for reading all of this and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Congratulations on saving up the cash. Youā€™ve already won. Iā€™m a big fan of Tacoma...had 2. Great reliability, quality and resale value. that was the responsible choice. But I have always wanted a Jeep....just more fun. I considered buying used, but couldnā€™t find what I wanted. I went with Sport S 6 psd. ā€œBuiltā€ at least a hundred on the site. Originally wanted a Rubi, but no way was I buying a $50K Jeep. The truth is that all Jeeps are extremely capable off-road options. I donā€™t go rock-crawling, and wouldnā€™t do that in a new Jeep anyway. I just wouldnā€™t want to tear it up. But i do go off-pavement (New Mexico, Colorado) in all seasons. So I needed good 4WD and clearance. I picked Sport S b/c i didnā€™t need all of the extras/capability Rubi has. But AC was mandatory. Also got the soft top with cold weather package. I figured i could always get a hard top later if i wanted to...havenā€™t even thought about it. Skipped the LED package b/c I learned that you can put LED bulbs in halogen lamps, plug ā€˜n play for $40. Itā€™s been a year...so far so good. Iā€™m no mechanic, but I do my own basics...oil changes, really. I had the manual recall work done b/c it was free...think they added a wiring harness or something? No problems since...or before. Skipped the steel bumpers b/c a buddy told me aftermarket options were better. Havenā€™t pulled the trigger on new bumpers yet. I skipped the ā€aux wire/tow package.ā€ But some folks swear by it. I recommend skipping all of the extras you donā€™t absolutely need because there are a million aftermarket options (floor mats and stuff) that are better and cheaper...at least some of them.
Sponsored