Sponsored

New 4Runner TRD Pro vs JL Rubicon Face Off Comparison Review

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Adding seat warmers makes it soft. Changing its performance makes it less capable. Two different things. The Wrangler has gone soft, however, it was a brilliant move by FCA. Keep most of the original look, don’t limit its capabilities and make it comfortable enough that someone’s grandma could drive it. That is why they are selling 200,000 of them.
If you tell me I'm getting soft in my old age, it means I'm getting weak, or less capable, or fat and out of shape. You mean the Wranglers are starting to lean toward a luxury image...when in fact, even THAT isn't true. My JLUS has heat, P/S, power brakes, and A/C. No automatic, no in-dash nav, etc. It's less the vehicle, and more the people picking the vehicle and it's options.
Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
It’s funny to hear everyone knocking the 4Runner. Don’t be blind to what FCA is doing with the Wrangler. It too, is getting soft and no longer the “hardcore” vehicle it once was. I was riding with my buddy yesterday in his JL. He is not a automotive enthusiast at all, but had fond memories of the TJ he owned nearly 15 years ago. He bought a new JL back in November to bring back the same feeling he had years ago. His exact words: I wanted a Jeep and I got an IPad. He has a point.
I have owned Jeeps since 1980, each successive model.....better than the previous one; it’s called evolution...improvement, etc, etc. That said I still own my Jeep TJ....and I happily drive it equally as much as my new Jeep JL Rubicon. The TJ cannot compare to my first CJ-5...that one was exciting, simply drive with the suspension so stiff it bounced along down the road with even the slightest bump. No electronics...everything on that Jeep was robust and serviceable. All that aside....this new JL is simply the BEST Jeep ever produced. An IPad.....well almost...it’s so technologically advanced that I purchased the lifetime warranty on it. It’s not like any of the previous Jeeps. There are only a few things you can turn wrenches on that are not monitored by some computer. Tell your friend there are still plenty of good TJ’s looking for a good loving home. Recommended that he adopte one and bring it home so his JL will not be lonely. He will love them both equally.......even if the JL is really superior.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If you tell me I'm getting soft in my old age, it means I'm getting weak, or less capable, or fat and out of shape. You mean the Wranglers are starting to lean toward a luxury image...when in fact, even THAT isn't true. My JLUS has heat, P/S, power brakes, and A/C. No automatic, no in-dash nav, etc. It's less the vehicle, and more the people picking the vehicle and it's options.
I agree it’s the people picking them, but when you visit the dealer’s lot, you won’t find your equally equipped wrangler on the lot. You will find loaded Wranglers. They wouldn’t build 50k keeps if they didn’t sell. And there is a reason many dealers don’t stock manual transmission, bare bones Wranglers anymore. Hence, my comment that this is the direction of Wranglers.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
They have evolved the wrangler to be appreciated by fans of the past with capability and looks while bringing on new buyers with technology and comfort. Something Lincoln and Buick should take notes from, but a different kind of situation, I guess.
Btw, why are you selling your JLR so soon, just curious-looks nice.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
My wife is pickey when it comes to noise, she has great hearing and she has no complaint with the interior noise, we have a conversation like any other at highway speed.

Did they even drive each other's vehicles?
I thought ford updated that info and said the bronco would have solid axles..?

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I agree it’s the people picking them, but when you visit the dealer’s lot, you won’t find your equally equipped wrangler on the lot. You will find loaded Wranglers. They wouldn’t build 50k keeps if they didn’t sell. And there is a reason many dealers don’t stock manual transmission, bare bones Wranglers anymore. Hence, my comment that this is the direction of Wranglers.
Literally 2-3 weeks ago I found my JLUS on the lot haha! There were actually far more 31-35k wranglers than 40k+ Wranglers.

I get what you're saying though, people obviously buy those $50,000+ Wranglers.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Screenshot_20190311-163614.png
Perhaps. Really seems too hard to tell..I know I saw somewhere that dana was supplying solid axles..oh well, it will be interesting.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Btw, why are you selling your JLR so soon, just curious-looks nice.
Wanting to build a custom CJ. Getting the itch. My wife wants me to keep my JLR though. She says it’s her favorite wrangler I’ve owned. It really is a nice wrangler and I can see why the JL appeals to a mass crowd. I just haven’t connected with it.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Adding seat warmers makes it soft. Changing its performance makes it less capable. Two different things. The Wrangler has gone soft, however, it was a brilliant move by FCA. Keep most of the original look, don’t limit its capabilities and make it comfortable enough that someone’s grandma could drive it. That is why they are selling 200,000 of them.
Dealerships “Order” the Jeeps that are on the lot.....they are not randomly delivered by FCA. A GOOD Jeep dealership will have a SELECTION of Jeeps ranging from entry level SPORT and Rubicons....all the way up to fully loaded Sport’s, Sahara’s and Rubicon’s. If your a discriminating buyer.....simply ORDER exactly what you want....nothing more nothing less. Either your foolish or your simply attempting to provoke an equally foolish response from this thread. The reason they are selling Jeeps at record numbers is that for the first time ever...the Jeep is the number one selling SUV....and for the last few years Jeep has been the number one used vehicle at retaining its retail value. People love them and it is showing....and the price point goes from $27K up to around $58K....so there is something for everybody’s budget. Your narrow minded thinking....that Jeep has gone soft... is not unnoticed here. Your simply bored and you are trolling..... attempting to drag someone else’s opinions...down to your narrow minded thoughtlessness.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealerships “Order” the Jeeps that are on the lot.....they are not randomly delivered by FCA. A GOOD Jeep dealership will have a SELECTION of Jeeps ranging from entry level SPORT and Rubicons....all the way up to fully loaded Sport’s, Sahara’s and Rubicon’s. If your a discriminating buyer.....simply ORDER exactly what you want....nothing more nothing less. Either your foolish or your simply attempting to provoke an equally foolish response from this thread. The reason they are selling Jeeps at record numbers is that for the first time ever...the Jeep is the number one selling SUV....and for the last few years Jeep has been the number one used vehicle at retaining its retail value. People love them and it is showing....and the price point goes from $27K up to around $58K....so there is something for everybody’s budget. Your narrow minded thinking....that Jeep has gone soft... is not unnoticed here. Your simply bored and you are trolling..... attempting to drag someone else’s opinions...down to your narrow minded thoughtlessness.
Lol. First, I special ordered my wrangler, so I know how the “game” works. I also know the spread of options offered. As a matter of fact, the 4Runner has held the highest resale value. I drove a new 4Runner and I found it to be bland and underpowered.

My opinions can only bring someone down if they let them, and I’m not narrow minded because I don’t follow your beliefs. If you choose to read my post, I said I understand why people like JLs. Why a wrangler enthusiast likes the JL and why grandmas can drive a JL. It’s called marketing 101. As I also said, it is a brilliant move on FCAs part. Adapt or die. Simple as that.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Easier than that for me - you can't get a 4Runner with a manual transmission.

I've mentioned in other threads that Wranglers sell well - but the number who buy another is limited to those who are well aware of its limitations, especially in the reliability department.

Much of the Wrangler's resale value comes from the fact that it is the only vehicle that will do what it can within the category. Were there a functional competitor from another brand, I suspect the Wrangler would be hurting.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If I didn't have my pickup and had to just have one vehicle to do all my on and off road stuff, I might give the T4R a good look. There's a lot to be said for on-road comfort and reliability of them. But, I don't have to make that choice. I have a crewcab truck, JLUR, and a SS Camaro to drive. Life is good.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think the new 4 Runner (when is it 2021 model year?) will be a winner with new powertrains and updated tech. Right now it feels like a 10-year old vehicle.

Doesn't work for me because having a manual trans and convertible is important to me but otherwise nothing against the 4Runner.
Sponsored