Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
You bought an XR for the gears because paying for them to be done is expensive? Interesting economics ideologies, I'd love to hear more. ;)
Nope. Im just not a fan of installing them myself. I will do it if I have to. Smelly nasty job. Cost really does not come into it for me but seems to for most. That seems to be the argument for not getting the XR. I am simply saying its a poor reason not to get it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: ALT

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Had my XR for 2 months now. 3500 daily miles. Compared to my 21 JLR it drives like a Lexus! Lol. Only thing Is the 15.5 average mpg, compared to 21 mpg with the 2.0 I had in my 2dr. Hoping it will get better with some miles.

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Had my XR for 2 months now. 3500 daily miles. Compared to my 21 JLR it drives like a Lexus! Lol. Only thing Is the 15.5 average mpg, compared to 21 mpg with the 2.0 I had in my 2dr. Hoping it will get better with some miles.
That's quite a drop in MPG! Did you get the 2.0T again with the XR?

JeepVet74

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes AMG SLC43; 2022 392 XR
I DD my 392 XR 50% of the time. Coming from a Mercedes GLK- this is so much more fun. And compared to my 2010 Rubicon, completely different animal. Very smooth ride. Love the height (and sound!). I consistently get 15-16 mpg but I baby him a lot.
I didnā€™t want to mess with lifts or gearing, so the XR fit what I wanted perfectly.
Dragging our 2 fishing kayaks to Florida tomorrow, so weā€™ll see how I feel about it after an all day car ride.

Sponsored

wnorton

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, F350
Who has been daily driving their Xtreme Recon equipped Wrangler?

Is the XR package a more or less fun and engaging on-road driving experience compared 'normal' Willys/Rubicons?

If I'm honest, my Jeep will likely be 99.5% mall cruiser driven on congested commuter routes and highways. Just love the look!
We DD ours. It is about to turn 10,000 miles and a high percentage of off highway. Love it.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
You bought an XR for the gears because paying for them to be done is expensive? Interesting economics ideologies, I'd love to hear more. ;)
For me, I kinda looked at as 1500 for gears, iron knuckles, and a little better brakes in rear. The XR wheel/tires sell for around 2500 all day šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It rides great but for looks, not worth it...
Besides that you can get your jeep to look the same for much cheaper
I would go one further and say if you're not planning on wheeling- don't bother with a Rubi. I love Wheeling/ Off-Roading but if I was just getting a Jeep to daily drive as OP's intended use case? I'd go Willy's and just change the wheels/ tires and call it done.

That's coming from someone who has a JLUR on 37's and tries to get out wheeling as often as life will let me (but not nearly as much as when I was younger and had my old TJ's and next to zero responsibilities).

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I DD mine, I have a 21 XR, so the 3.6L with etorque. Itā€™s been solid, drives great, plenty of punch (for a jeep) when I need to give it the beans. Handling isnā€™t great, but no worse, and probably better, than my prior Jeep. Doubt itā€™s any worse than a Non-XR.

Iā€™m about 8000 miles and 7 months in. Iā€™m getting 17-18mpg.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
For me, I kinda looked at as 1500 for gears, iron knuckles, and a little better brakes in rear. The XR wheel/tires sell for around 2500 all day šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
And you get a warranty and have factory gears. Aftermarket gears are all over the place right now. Quality control or the lack of it, seems to be more in play these days. I have several people interested in my take off stuff for 3000.00. So yeah, factory gears with warranty, front diff, brake upgrade and spare tire upgrade stuff for 1000.00 seems like good economics / ideologies to me.

Last edited:

koinneach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jluxr
How are people getting such low MPG? I get that it depends on your driving habits and roads, but someone did a direct comparison with a regular Rubicon 2.0 and the mpg delta was close

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I get average 18mpg with my 22XR as a daily. For comparison my daughter gets less with Sahara on 35s with factory gears. The 4.56 gears do help.
For someone that doesnt wheel much, a Willys XR is probably a better choice then a Rubicon XR. If you are gonna swap to 35ā€ tires right away the XR pkg is the way to go.
Sponsored