Sponsored

Extreme Recon package a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared Rubicon?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
He wants a new XR!! Don’t mess with his excuse! 😉
I think he's a she ;) I think you're right though, she wants something and the logic is less important than the feels.

I wanted 4.88 gearing and it's just what I wanted, so even though it cost me a couple bucks to swap my 2021 and order a new 2022, I wanted it damn it!

So, if the OP wants an auto trans and big tires, then that's what she should get.
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I think he's a she ;) I think you're right though, she wants something and the logic is less important than the feels.

I wanted 4.88 gearing and it's just what I wanted, so even though it cost me a couple bucks to swap my 2021 and order a new 2022, I wanted it damn it!

So, if the OP wants an auto trans and big tires, then that's what she should get.
How often does “need and practical” win the argument over “Want” with Jeepers?? 392 owner who would have gotten the XR if available when ordered, Very Practical-Absolutely Needed!😊 (gender error corrected, thanks). Edit— The Blown Chevy (~700HP) was Practical and Absolutely Needed in my CJ5!!!:LOL:

Last edited:

Jeeppaul91

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURXR
Occupation
Real Estate
The XR rides really well. Took a long trip to NC with the fam and it was very comfortable. Still trying to find the ideal tire pressure for the ko2 35s.
I also didn't realize this morning I was doing 96 mph on the way to work after making a pass to get out from behind a dump truck in fear of getting a rock to the windshield.
I treat dump trucks like they have the plague. Got a crack in my windshield 4 days after picking my Jeep up from the dealer. I stayed off the freeway for 6 months after that.

The Sarge

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
I saw a video of what is included in the Recon package and it's a lot more than just the gears and tires. It has bigger brakes which I wasn't aware of so the price seems justified. Do all the extras like the iron knuckles, longer shocks etc make for a much better daily driver ride than a regular regeared rubicon?
I have a 21 with the XR and I love it. It definitely rides better than my buddy's standard Rubicon Gladiator.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
That's interesting, because that's my use case (subtract the kids, just wife, gear, surfboards). I have a stock '21 Rubicon now....and with resale prices remaining pretty high, low sales tax ($500 - South Carolina), I could probably sell the Rubicon and grab a Willy's XR breaking even, maybe even make a bit with the Gupton discount.

The MPG is solid, comparable to what I'm getting, which is good to hear. The only downside to me is the loss of manual transmission.
I'm debating whether i want to spend the money and regear and new tires on my rubicon or just trade and get the xr. Mine is 4 years old so I know i'll void that last year of warranty. so be it.

OCEANDIVING954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 wheels, 4 wheel drives....
I just picked up my new JLRU Recon...Drove it 900 miles home...I was blown away how it drove during break in ( 200 miles) and then let it open up on the highway home...Compliant at 80 MPH average MPH...It is my first jeep and my last 4 wheeler was a TRD offroad 4runner 2017.. Blows it away for road worthiness ..cant wait to go offroad soon! The gearing is huge on this rig.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How often does “need and practical” win the argument over “Want” with Jeepers?? 392 owner who would have gotten the XR if available when ordered, Very Practical-Absolutely Needed!😊 (gender error corrected, thanks). Edit— The Blown Chevy (~700HP) was Practical and Absolutely Needed in my CJ5!!!:LOL:
Ha Ha. Yes, I'm a she. Although sometimes my hubby calls me his husband because I'm the one with the bad ass vehicle and big toolbox in the garage :)

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This was my thinking-by the time I pay for the regear and shocks it will come out to probably more than the Xr package. I plan on changing the tires/wheels anyway but at least with the XR i have new ones to sell off and recoup some of my money.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I treat dump trucks like they have the plague. Got a crack in my windshield 4 days after picking my Jeep up from the dealer. I stayed off the freeway for 6 months after that.
I have been known to take the next exit when there's a dump truck nearby. Check my phone for a minute or two and then proceed. Most big rig drivers are pretty considerate, but dump truck bros JDGAF.

Oh, and those "STAY BACK 500 FEET NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHELDS" signs are meaningless. You can't eliminate your legal responsibility by posting a sign like that. Clowns.

Jeeppaul91

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURXR
Occupation
Real Estate
I have been known to take the next exit when there's a dump truck nearby. Check my phone for a minute or two and then proceed. Most big rig drivers are pretty considerate, but dump truck bros JDGAF.

Oh, and those "STAY BACK 500 FEET NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHELDS" signs are meaningless. You can't eliminate your legal responsibility by posting a sign like that. Clowns.
Don’t get me started on the guys who paint the lines and they don’t bother to put up warning signs… Every year up here in PA I see them doing it and I immediately turn into Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise Mission Impossible). I pull over, figure out where the safe zones are and avoid the main roads like the plague. I have literally parked at the mall for several hours waiting for it to dry before. There’s no way to avoid it, driving in a straight line isn’t possible when you have to change lanes to make a turn, if theres wet paint on the road, it’s going to get on your vehicle. In the days following the line painting I see vehicles all over my town covered in yellow and white paint. Getting that paint removed is incredibly difficult, it reduces trade in value, it looks terrible, and the people who do it don’t care at all that they’re ruining hundreds/thousands of vehicles every day that they do it.
Sponsored