When 4H?

jeeeeep

First Name
He
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Is it ok to ride trail roads at 5-10 mph in 4H for couple hours? I see many talk about the high end speed of 4H but I needed to go slow with just a little extra traction. 4L seemed like overkill to me but I'm not experienced. Just want to know if going slow in 4H for long periods would hurt anything or should I put in 4L for these dirt/gravel/muddy roads?
Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Is it ok to ride trail roads at 5-10 mph in 4H for couple hours? I see many talk about the high end speed of 4H but I needed to go slow with just a little extra traction. 4L seemed like overkill to me but I'm not experienced. Just want to know if going slow in 4H for long periods would hurt anything or should I put in 4L for these dirt/gravel/muddy roads?
The way I always view it is proposing the question: "are the front wheels able to slip?" Dirt, grass, mud - fine. Slowly over rocks (crawling) - fine. 40mph down a paved road.....nope

Use 4L when 4H is just too much to get over/through an obstacle.

4H should be fine for what you're doing

Last edited:

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Yes, you can stay in 4h for trails. You may need to disengage if you need to tightly turn but no issues running 4h continuously as long as its loose surfaces.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Your instincts are correct to be in 4H. Sounds like you‘ve got a good gut to trust.

If you feel like you’re going too fast on a trail to safely carry your momentum (obstacles and steepness for example)… think about 4L. Trade speed for torque.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good advice above.

I was out Saturday and we wheeled up some really steep stuff in what was slightly loose dirt, using 4Hi. We could have dropped it to 4Lo and locked the diffs, but it wasn't needed and we only had a bit of tire slip. We drove most of the day in 4Hi on the trails. There were some steep downhill sections we went to 4Lo. We never went more than about 20 mph and probably less most of the time. Low speed won't hurt anything in 4Hi. 4Lo may give you better control at very very low speeds where it's needed.

You can drive in 4Hi on any surface that will allow for a little tire slip. I would include flooded pavement in that, but not damp pavement.

Sponsored

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Am I the only one who stays in 2H on dirt trails unless I feel like the rear wheels slipping or about to go do an obstacle? 🤷🏻‍♂️
My buddy does the same. Likes the challenge of seeing what he can do in 2WD. I go to 4H much sooner. I don't like hearing tires slipping, which add wear on expensive rubber.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
4 hi or Lo and enjoy the ride. I ran most trails in Colorado in 4 Low....did not have any issues and at times was cruising at 20mph... don't go over 25....if so back to 4hi.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Am I the only one who stays in 2H on dirt trails unless I feel like the rear wheels slipping or about to go do an obstacle? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I also stay in 2WD until I need to use 4WD. It’s easy to switch back and forth as needed.

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I don't have a Jeep yet but I assume this will be very situational for me. I would say I agree thought with the disconnecting sway bar is nice and I think you must be in at least 4HI to do that. I think on gravel roads to a trailhead, 2HI and then switch to 4HI just so it's always available.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I generally run in 2H until the first obstacle that looks like it will be challenging in 2H, then once I put it in 4H, it stays there until I either need to go to 2H for pavement or 4Lo for a more challenging obstacle. I don't feel the need to shift the Xfer case to 2H just because the trail got easy.

I'm 65. I've had enough digging, pushing and winching.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
There is no top speed mentioned for 4hi in the manual. It says you should be under 55 when engaging it, but no top speed.
Generally, if the roads are dry, you don't want to be in 4hi but if you're just going straight or even sweeping corners, it isn't the end of the world.
Sponsored