4H Promblem?

10PieceNugg_

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler
Hi, I’m a first time Jeep owner and I purchased a brand new 2018 Wrangler JL back in December. I wanted to ask if anyone experiences this problem with their Jeep. Whenever I put my Jeep into 4H and I take a sharp turn either from the left or the right it seem like the wheels almost get locked up and the Jeep struggles to move. It almost stutters and becomes real bouncy. It’s kinda hard to explain. But does anyone else experience this problem?

Edit: I did notice I spelt problem wrong in the title lol
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hi, I’m a first time Jeep owner and I purchased a brand new 2018 Wrangler JL back in December. I wanted to ask if anyone experiences this problem with their Jeep. Whenever I put my Jeep into 4H and I take a sharp turn either from the left or the right it seem like the wheels almost get locked up and the Jeep struggles to move. It almost stutters and becomes real bouncy. It’s kinda hard to explain. But does anyone else experience this problem?
No, because I only use 4h when my tires have little traction. If your tires aren't slipping, then you are going to have this hopping. I'll let the guys give you the mechanical explanation.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
As Grey Fox stated, if you are on dry concrete or other dry hard surface, you will feel the binding.. not a good thing for the system.. puts to much stress on the components, try to avoid those situations as much as possible

OP
OP

10PieceNugg_

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler
As Grey Fox stated, if you are on dry concrete or other dry hard surface, you will feel the binding.. not a good thing for the system.. puts to much stress on the components, try to avoid those situations as much as possible
I only toss the Jeep into 4H when there’s snow on the ground. Maybe there’s not enough on the ground to toss it into 4H? I get the problem when I’m even pulling out of a parking spot with snow on the ground

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If that is happening, you are correct in stating that there isn't enough snow on the ground. This is totally normal when the tires are getting good grip on the road.

Sponsored

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is a normal situation since all the wheels are turning at the same rate of speed. When you making turns, the inner wheel will spin slower and the outside wheel spin faster causing the hopping. Like said in the previous post, try to avoid this as it puts a great deal of stress on the driveline on dry/wet surface. I only use 4H in snow covered roads or wheeling. :)

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter

What’s your Tire pressure? All the fuses seated completely?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

When you're in any mode of true 4WD, all four of your wheels will turn at the same speed, which poses no problems when travelling in a straight line. However, when you negotiate a turn, the outside wheels actually have to rotate faster, as they have more ground to cover: imagine your inside wheels making a large circle; your outside wheels, being some 5+ feet away from the inside wheel, would circumscribe a larger circle around that of the inside wheel (simplified, as the 4 wheel vehicle doesn't have a single pivot point, but essentially the same idea). But the 4WD system doesn't allow them to travel different speeds, a problem which is eliminated by tire slippage on loose surfaces. It is on dry surfaces when this can become problematic.
AWD systems can compensate for variable slippage mainly by using the same C/V joints that front wheel drive cars employ, but also with other means, such as electronic transfer cases and brake-lock diffs.

The bottom line: don't use 4WD-HI or-LO on dry surfaces (and they can be tricky on varying surfaces as well). You'll get poor performance and wheel hop, and it's not so good for the components either.

You also spelled the word "spelled" wrong...this here's 'Merica.;)

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

That's a good sign you don't need 4wd and may infact, break something.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I only engage 4H when I know I will lose traction or have lost traction. Typically, 2wd will get me in and out of a lot of places.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I only engage 4H when I know I will lose traction or have lost traction. Typically, 2wd will get me in and out of a lot of places.
It's one instance where the LSD is better: 2WD.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
In the woods or in snow, either way if in 4WD I try not to turn hard/sharp as it stresses, binds the front steering U joints and that is normal.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
When you're in any mode of true 4WD, all four of your wheels will turn at the same speed, which poses no problems when travelling in a straight line. However, when you negotiate a turn, the outside wheels actually have to rotate faster, as they have more ground to cover: imagine your inside wheels making a large circle; your outside wheels, being some 5+ feet away from the inside wheel, would circumscribe a larger circle around that of the inside wheel (simplified, as the 4 wheel vehicle doesn't have a single pivot point, but essentially the same idea). But the 4WD system doesn't allow them to travel different speeds, a problem which is eliminated by tire slippage on loose surfaces. It is on dry surfaces when this can become problematic.
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I always understood that the binding is because the front and rear wheels are locked by the transfer case and turning at the same speed while traveling different distances when turning (same idea as above). I believe the side to side difference is accounted for by the differentials (this may be different when lockers are used - I'm not sure about that).

You can get the binding/hopping even on loose surfaces when turning sharply. It's just more pronounced (and potentially damaging) on hard/dry surfaces.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I only toss the Jeep into 4H when there’s snow on the ground. Maybe there’s not enough on the ground to toss it into 4H? I get the problem when I’m even pulling out of a parking spot with snow on the ground
If you’re not stuck or losing traction, you don’t need to be in 4H. 2H will get you through snow just fine, in most cases.
Sponsored