Sponsored

When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler?

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Almost never use 4L unless I'm dragging something heavy off-road. 4H on trails.
4H in snow. Although people are saying one wheel will slip if you're turning in 4H, the only time that will really matter is when you're going slow enough to turn sharply. The difference in turning radius between inner and outer wheels in a turn at speed is negligible. Where 4H will help you in snow at speed is in keeping the rotation of the front wheels constant with the rear, which MAY actually help you keep from losing the front end, like in rutty snow. (All bets are off if you brake, though.)
Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
4H as soon as I hit dirt. I do spend quite a bit of time in 4L on the trail. I use my 6 speed to the fullest. 4L 5th gear at about 20 mph

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We donā€™t have many true off-road opportunities nearby. The closest off-road park is ~3 hrs away. So I try to shift into 4H whenever we hit a gravel road. Not because I need it but because I want to get some wear on those parts of the driveline. Seems to make shifting in and out of 4H easier with some wear on them.

sorry to hear about your Jeep. Hope everyone was ok.
Hey have you heard about the new off-road park opening or maybe opened now by Lone Star Horse track ? Its by flood plain so heard and the few pictures they show its pretty muddy after all this Flooding spring rains we have had. Not sure they are open, the email is not working and phone just goes to voicemail.

Here is link. Lone Star Off Road Park

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey have you heard about the new off-road park opening or maybe opened now by Lone Star Horse track ? Its by flood plain so heard and the few pictures they show its pretty muddy after all this Flooding spring rains we have had. Not sure they are open, the email is not working and phone just goes to voicemail.

Here is link. Lone Star Off Road Park
Hmm Iā€™ll have to check it out. Thx for the tip!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm Iā€™ll have to check it out. Thx for the tip!

Lone Star Off-Road Park.

Morning, Their email does not work. I don't do FB but their FB page opens on the website and it goes back to early March being open. Never heard anything until the other day a Jeeper replied on the thread about it.

It is for sure a flood plain. Mid-May it closed due to the flooding rains we had. From all the pictures it for sure has been swamp. Lots of buggies buried and some Jeeps buried.

Might be a dumb question but I have heard that getting that much mud in your brake pads is bad for your brakes. I want to enjoy my Jeep but don't want to destroy it.

I for sure will go to the new park when it drys up some. The rains are over and summer is for sure here.

20210616_075814.jpg

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Lone Star Off-Road Park.

Morning, Their email does not work. I don't do FB but their FB page opens on the website and it goes back to early March being open. Never heard anything until the other day a Jeeper replied on the thread about it.

It is for sure a flood plain. Mid-May it closed due to the flooding rains we had. From all the pictures it for sure has been swamp. Lots of buggies buried and some Jeeps buried.

Might be a dumb question but I have heard that getting that much mud in your brake pads is bad for your brakes. I want to enjoy my Jeep but don't want to destroy it.

I for sure will go to the new park when it drys up some. The rains are over and summer is for sure here.

Jeep Wrangler JL When are you using 4H and 4L on your Wrangler? 20210616_075814
thats a good question about the brakes.In a video they said donā€™t disengage the clutch on a manual mid river crossing for that very reason. Donā€™t know it applies to brakes but seems like it would.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
How does traction control factor in on all this? I would assume 2H and traction control would be helpful on pavement with wet or light snow on the road?
I learned the hard way to turn it off if you are off road. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree when I hit some sand. The traction control/esc system just threw up it's virtual hands and said I can't deal with this any longer.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Glad you brought this up- I was going to say that traction control is a useful tool to be able to turn off occasionally. For example, going through a mud puddle in 4H with traction control off can help you get through it.
And sand. 4L and low tire pressure as well for sand. My sand was a surprise, so I couldn't get to 4L and had too much air pressure.
Sponsored