Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That was my concern as well. I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t void the warranty. If I am correct, you are routing all of the oil through the can, if it fails and the engine runs dry you are screwed.
I am in my JL because a mom and pop oil change shop didn’t properly install the oil pan plug and totaled my previous vehicle’s engine.
However, I would like to increase the longevity of my new dream Jeep.
I am not a mechanic and don’t pretend to be, hence my trepidation.
For what it’s worth... I was worried about this too. Not because I thought it could cause damage but because dealers around me are the worst at using common sense. For that reason, I really like the UPR design over others. I can put the factory breather tube back in minutes. Everything is quick connects.

Also, you’re not routing oil through the can. You’re routing crank case vapors and keeping oil out of the intake. I have zero idea how this could truly cause damage. The argument I’ve always seen is whether it’s necessary.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
That was my concern as well. I can’t imagine how it wouldn’t void the warranty. If I am correct, you are routing all of the oil through the can, if it fails and the engine runs dry you are screwed.
I am in my JL because a mom and pop oil change shop didn’t properly install the oil pan plug and totaled my previous vehicle’s engine.
However, I would like to increase the longevity of my new dream Jeep.
I am not a mechanic and don’t pretend to be, hence my trepidation.
Actually no, it doesn't route all of your motor oil through the can. It routes blowby gases and crankcase vapor back through the air intake.. an emissions thing. The stock system has issues and allows more oil through the system than other motors imo.

I'm not even sure there is a 'valve' to separate the oil and gases on this engine.. If I crack my catch can with the engine running it's a like an air compressor.

My catch can is catching MUCH less oil now.. I emptied it today after weeks of not checking it and only ~1oz of oil came out. That much was draining every 5-7 days shortly after my oil change. I think 5qts may be a little more oil than the PCV system can manage. I'm still 1/2 to max on the dipstick. I might try 4.5 qts of oil on my next oil change.

ZERO ping as well on 87 octane.

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the general feedback from dealers on catch cans as it relates to warrant? Do they give you any grief? I have a warranty item and trying to decide if I need to put my factory breather tube back on before. Thanks.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Emptied my UPR catch can today after 2,000 miles and there was nearly enough oil to fill a UOA sample bottle. I plan to send it off for a UOA after I collect a bit more just to see the results. Based upon this, put me firmly in the pro catch can camp. The oil trapped by the catch can would have otherwise been dumped into the intake.

If there is this much oil after 2K, what will it be at 5K? Keep in mind my 3.6L has only had synthetic oil and has a shade under 13K miles on it.

@DanW

d7t4AQ.jpg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Emptied my UPR catch can today after 2,000 miles and there was nearly enough oil to fill a UOA sample bottle. I plan to send it off for a UOA after I collect a bit more just to see the results. Based upon this, put me firmly in the pro catch can camp. The oil trapped by the catch can would have otherwise been dumped into the intake.

If there is this much oil after 2K, what will it be at 5K? Keep in mind my 3.6L has only had synthetic oil and has a shade under 13K miles on it.

@DanW

Jeep Wrangler JL To Catch a Catch Can d7t4AQ
Did you notice an increase in fuel mileage when you installed? I did but also just took mine off to take in for service. My fuel mileage instantly dropped 1.5 MPG. I’m expecting when I reinstall it will bounce back up like last time. Crazy.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you notice an increase in fuel mileage when you installed? I did but also just took mine off to take in for service. My fuel mileage instantly dropped 1.5 MPG. I’m expecting when I reinstall it will bounce back up like last time. Crazy.
Perhaps slightly, but C19 has us only driving in town so hard to say. I have a road trip to Colorado in the near future and will be able to tell a bit more then.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Instead of taking my catch can apart every time I go to the dealer I took a chance and asked the service manager if I could show his oil change guys how to deal with my UPR catch can and my Fumoto drain valve. He gave me 6 mechanics for a quick class and the next time I went they asked if they could use my jeep to teach other mechanics what to do. It has been really easy going there since those two times.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Instead of taking my catch can apart every time I go to the dealer I took a chance and asked the service manager if I could show his oil change guys how to deal with my UPR catch can and my Fumoto drain valve. He gave me 6 mechanics for a quick class and the next time I went they asked if they could use my jeep to teach other mechanics what to do. It has been really easy going there since those two times.
I wish my local dealers were half that cool. Mine wouldn’t check my ball joints because I had an aftermarket tie rod.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase

@DanW

I'm using a cheap eBay catch can that definitely picks up oil but I didn't notice any increase in mpg. Not even with the ripp coils. I'm getting 16mpg avg mostly highway. 35s with Rubicon lift.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

@DanW

Wow! I can´t wait to see the UOA data!

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

@DanW

I wanted to update this again. I am preparing for a road trip and as part of the I did an OC and dumped the catch can. This photo shows about 2K worth of oil and after an additional 2K miles, there was enough to completely fill the space left in the bottle with about the same amount left over.

This tells me on a 5K run, the catch can is trapping about 5-6 ounces of oil that would have been otherwise dumped into the intake and subsequently burned. I plan to check it when I return and see where it is. The trip will be about 4K miles in total.

Totally satisfied with my UPR purchase!

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
I absolutely love my UPR catch can, my mileage avg was 22.8 and 23.2 on my recent trip to Smoky Mountain Jeep fest in TN. My highway best before installing the can was 21.2. I am impressed. The attached photo is an accumulated amount after 3500 miles of driving.
Jeep Wrangler JL To Catch a Catch Can 20200901_174738

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely love my UPR catch can, my mileage avg was 22.8 and 23.2 on my recent trip to Smoky Mountain Jeep fest in TN. My highway best before installing the can was 21.2. I am impressed. The attached photo is an accumulated amount after 3500 miles of driving.
20200901_174738.jpg
How often do you have to empty it? Also, UPR has the option of a one way breather right below the catch can selection. It says "required". What is the breather and is it actually required?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How often do you have to empty it? Also, UPR has the option of a one way breather right below the catch can selection. It says "required". What is the breather and is it actually required?
I am not sure about that one. I saw it too, but did not order it. Maybe joe@upr can answer that question. I would be interested in adding it if there is an additional benefit, although I thought that from a certain date forward, I read they were included?
Sponsored

Last edited: